Simon Hotel
  • Pool
$148
$141
Hotels.com
All reviewsdining hallburnaby mountaincorner roomtop floortraditional hotelreserved parkingair conditioner in the roomarthur ericksongreat place to staycoffee potwi fishort walkright next doordowntown vancouverbed was comfortablehotel is locatedresidence
Reviewed December 2, 2013

It is unusual for a hotel to be situated inside a college campus but the Simon Hotel on the top floor of the Shadbolt House dormitory is just that. I arrived late in the evening to watch a performance my daughter was in the next day. The SFU campus is a large concrete megastructure by Arthur Erickson set atop a mountain which breaks down to a series of smaller residential buildings with views towards the city. Students were out walking and chatting in groups and the dining hall was still open. There was a buzz on campus but once you assend to the top floor of this modern building it's quiet and relaxing. The rooms have every amenity a boutique hotel would offer - nice toiletries, good wifi, feather duvet, refrigerator, tea kettle and coffee maker. However there are no services. You must carry your own bags up, there is no exercise room or food of any kind and no one to ask for advice. The location is perfect for parents, family members and academics visiting the school or UniverCity but is not a vacation destination. The cost for it's design simplicity, cleanliness and close proximity to the city is a good value but do not expect any services.

Room Tip: All rooms have just a single queen bed. FYI - when you book you will not know right away if a room is available so if your dates are firm or near the beginning or end of term you should book far in advance.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
KatelynNarain, Group Sales & Services Coordinator at Simon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Thank-you for taking the time to review the Simon Hotel! Your review painted a lovely picture of the community that guests will experience when they stay in our facilities as well as the amenities they will receive. The Simon Hotel is a quiet and relaxing haven in the midst of the hustle and bustle of campus life. As our office hours are limited during the Fall & Spring, we have on-call staff for after hours issues and questions. We are also in the process of updating our in-room Hotel Information Guides which will provide guests information on dining and gym facilities, shopping, transportation, on-campus services, and much more. I hope you will find this guide helpful during future stays!

Once again, thank-you for submitting this review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Simon Hotel in the future!

Reviewed December 2, 2013

My husband, son and I stayed at the Simon Hotel over the Thanksgiving holiday; my son is applying to SFU and we had interviews and tours scheduled on campus. We liked the idea of staying right on campus--no traffic hassles, and we would be able to see the university up close. The Simon Hotel was even better than we could have expected. The staff was super friendly and helpful, our room was very clean and comfortable, and you can't beat the price! If my son winds up attending SFU, the Simon Hotel will have a loyal customer for the next four years. (P.S. Our tv worked just fine!)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Thank-you for the wonderful review! I am thrilled to hear that your stay at the Simon Hotel exceeded your expectations. We work hard to provide excellent customer service as well as clean, comfortable, and affordable accommodations. I will pass on your kind remarks to our staff in the various areas.

Wishing your son the best of luck over the coming months as he makes his decision on post secondary education and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Simon Hotel in the future!

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I stayed at the Simon Hotel on the top floor of Shadbolt House. The staff were very helpful and friendly, and all of the amenities in the room (electric kettle, alarm clock, shower supplies, etc) really made me feel at home. The view from the Simon is fantastic, especially early in the morning with the sun rising up the mountain. Aside from not being able to get the TV to work, the experience was satisfying overall. I would recommend this accommodation to everyone looking for a place to stay at SFU.

Room Tip: I stayed in a corner room on the top floor, and the large windows, aside from flooding the room with natural light, provided a beautiful view of the mountain.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
KatelynNarain, Group Sales & Services Coordinator at Simon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear valued guest,

Thank-you for taking the time to review the Simon Hotel and for providing such positive feedback. We are happy we were able to exceed your expectations and make the Simon Hotel feel like "home". We pride ourselves on providing comfortable accommodations, friendly service, and beautiful views. The corner rooms are also my favourite - beautiful sunrise and sunset! I apologize for any issues you had with the television and I will be reviewing our instructions provided in room.

Once again, thank-you for your feedback and I will pass on all of your kind remarks to our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Simon Hotel in the future!

Reviewed August 14, 2013

There's just a soda machine and no shops around, a convienence corner/shop at the reception would have been nice. Unfortunately you can't pay with American Express card or debit card. The rooms are clean and complete, the tv's are old.

• Stayed: August 2013
KatelynNarain, Group Sales & Services Coordinator at Simon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Thank-you for taking the time to submit a review of the Simon Hotel. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the views - they really are breathtaking!

Should you choose to stay with us again, please feel free to indicate on your reservation request that you would like to pay debit upon arrival and this can be arranged (versus a credit card payment). Unfortunately, we are unable to accept American Express. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. As we are continuously making changes to the Simon Hotel, we appreciate all feedback we receive. I will take into consideration your comments on the televisions and shops. If you are looking for a snack during your next stay, there is a vending machine in the laundry room on the main level of the building and the Residence Dining Hall is also open for all meals. You may also choose to explore UniverCity, a short 15 minute walk away, where there are a variety of restaurants and stores.

Once again, thank-you for the feedback and we hope to welcome you back again in the near future!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I was surprised at the quality of this hotel. I was at SFU for a meeting, but would happily return for a holiday! The staff were delightful, the dining hall was fantastic, and the location is convenient (at least in the non-snowy months). The views were terrific also. In the dining hall, you can even cook your own meal so you don't have to be concerned about not getting what you want. There is lots of healthy food and even a fully stocked fridge with ingredients you can use to make your own meal. Everyone on campus was helpful and the gym is fantastic. Only $5 to drop in. The room was clean and spacious and the bed really comfortable. Everything about this place was wonderful. I was blown away. Oh the value for money was OUTSTANDING too.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
KatelynNarain, Group Sales & Services Coordinator at Simon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear valued guest,

I am thrilled to hear that your stay at the Simon Hotel went above and beyond your expectations! We love to hear words like "amazing" and "outstanding"! We work hard to provide quality accommodations at an affordable price. We're so happy you took the time to enjoy the Dining Hall and the gym, both of which are conveniently located close to the Simon Hotel. Make sure you check out the salad bar during your next stay - it's healthy, delicious, & has a ton of variety!

Thank-you for taking the time to review our facilities and I will pass on all of your kind remarks. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Simon Hotel in the future!