“Very god hotel 30 minutes from Downtown”

Hilton Vancouver Metrotown
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Burnaby
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Stayed here for 6 nights during a Northwestern road trip july 2014. The hotel is situated in Burnaby, a "suburb" to Vancouver. It takes about 30 minutes to drive into downtown from the hotel. Vancouver is jam-packed with traffic lights, so you spend a good time of those 30 minutes by redlights. We were here for the attractions that surround Vancouver. For those locations the hotel were more than adequate. But if were to only visit downtown, it would have been a little to far away from the city center. The hotel is situated just a couple of miles from the highways that take you wherever you need to be. We stayed in room 1704 on the executive level. Floors 16-18 are executive levels floor. You can,t hear the traffic on floor 17. The windows are double glazed so you won,t hear anything from outside. We asked for a room facing the mountains and was placed in a room on the other side of the hotel. My Hilton gold membership didn't help me there.... The interior decor of the hotel reminds me more of a contemporary Scandinavian hotel than of a North American hotel. Everything was in perfect working order. I measured the Wi-Fi speed to 2 Mbit/s download and 1 Mbit/s upload, more than adequate. But it got sluggish in the evening when everyone got connected. The beds were the usual Hilton Serenity beds which are just plain wonderful to sleep in. Staying at the executive floors give access to the executive lounge on 18th floor. The lounge is small but nice. The evening snacks were plentiful and of high quality. We never tried the free breakfast there since we preferred the full breakfast buffet in the Reflect dining room. The assortment there was more than adequate but somewhat pricey. You can ask for omelets, but they do not have bagels. The hotel provides parking for a fee in the basement, where we never encountered any shortness of parking space. My Jeep Grand Cherokee fitted without any problem. The rates for the rooms are more than sensible for what you get. You would probably pay at least the double for a similar hotel in downtown. The hotels sits atop a chinese mall with several interesting eateries. If you can get a good rate for an executive room and find it enough with just a continental breakfast, then you have probably made a good deal. Would I stay here again ? Yes if I was to visit all of Vancouver attractions, No if I was to visit just downtown. Hilton Vancouver Metrotown it is a very nice, clean and upscale hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room facing the mountains.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hilton Vancouver Metrotown

Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

There were great staff when we checked in and welcomed us and were very knowledgeable.
Our room was a good size with all the amenities. It was on a good level too.
The bed was good but the pillows were too soft for us.
The parking was paid Parking but you can go in anytime.
It was very close to a shopping mall and a Chinese shopping street.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed July 9, 2014

If TripAdvisor would allow for 3.5 ratings, that is where I'd place the Hilton Metrotown in Burnaby, BC. The location of the hotel is excellent as you are in walking range to a huge mall, when I say huge, the stores actually repeat themselves. You may find two of the same stores in the mall, huge food court and any store you could want. You are also in walking distance to the train. There is also an Asian market/mall that you access from the hotel, which may be attractive to you. There is a gas station and grocery store in walking distance, so again, location wise is a 5. You are about a 20-25 minute drive to Vancouver, depending on traffic and parking is in a garage located below the hotel. A little tight, but was okay to maneuver.

Location aside, the rooms and amenities I would rate a 3. If you happen to feel ill or don't want to leave the hotel or forgot an item (not one they can give you at the front desk), you are a bit out of luck. Unlike many Hilton Hotels there is no gift shop or store within the hotel. They have a business center right next to the lobby and would highly recommend turning that into a small store, and opening up a room for conversion into a business center. Was a little frustrating not to have that available on site. The restaurant on site was nice, they were incredibly friendly there and the menu is a little bit wider in the restaurant than in room service, so be sure to go down there if you don't see something on the room service menu that you like.

The rooms themselves were just okay. We had a suite and honestly there was something wrong with the HVAC unit. It smelled very musty. We ended up turning it off and it was better, but something wasn't right, very metallic smelling and allergies acted up pretty badly once we got to the room. They also allow pets, but it didn't seem to be a pet related smell. They need to make sure they are checking and changing their filters regularly. We did not contact anyone at the front desk about this, I'm honestly not sure what they could have done and we didn't want to move rooms at that point. If you do notice this when you walk in, see if you can move rooms or see if there is anything they can do to improve it without trying to mask it.

I did not enjoy the set up of the suite. If you are traveling with a family, it most likely would have been ideal, for a single couple, wasn't what we are used to. When you walked into the suite the bathroom was immediately to one side, you then walk into the living room, and then the bedroom. The bedroom and the bathroom are not connected and you have to walk through the living room to get to the bathroom. This can be a little frustrating if you have individuals in the bedroom that need to use the restroom in the middle of the night as the lightning and location made that challenging. Maybe bring a night light. We couldn't figure out a good way to illuminate a path to the bathroom without the whole living room lighting up, the night light in the bathroom was not powerful enough to guide you. The bathroom door would also not stay open so we had to use the ice bucket to prop it in the night.

In terms of bedding, it was fine, bed was firm enough, pillows were adequate. The TV's had a decent amount of channels, the iron was clean and they provide night bathroom soaps, shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash and body wash, which was a nice touch. Internet worked fine and desk met our needs. Maintenance was fast to respond on an issue we had and were friendly and gracious.

The suite also did not have a microwave, which is highly unusual. It did have a very large mini-fridge, but we'd gladly sacrifice some fridge space for a microwave. Just a note in case that is something you need. The only other peeve I can list is that you do not get an upgrade to Executive Floor unless you are Diamond. Would have been nice for both Gold and Diamond to have access, I'm sure they've instituted that for a reason, but felt like a slight.

We would love to return to this hotel, but we'd only do so if they ensure that they address the smell from the HVAC unit and generally freshen up the rooms. Adding a microwave and figuring out a lighting solution for the bathroom would be great, in addition to adding a small shop in the hotel for guest's needs. The location can't be beat and may bring us back. It is not a bad choice, but want you to be aware of some of the areas we encountered and hopefully the hotel will take this as constructive and look towards some improvements.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the circle of the Asian Market, was very quiet there
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2014

The Metrotown Hilton is in a great location. It's near an Asian market, with some good food options and a bakery. A shopping mall is nearby with shopping and food options as well. It's a short walk to the SkyTrain. We used this daily to get around town. The service and the staff were great. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed July 4, 2014

I had booked a room for 4 people (my 3 daughters and I) and had booked 2 Queen beds. When I checked in they wanted to give me 1 king bed. That was straightened out while we went shopping at Metrotown. The room was clean but only 3 towels for 4 people. I phoned the front desk to ask what the wifi password was - I was informed that wifi was an extra $8.00 per night. I am actually quite shocked at this - I have stayed in many hotels and haven't been charged for wifi in years. Seemed like another cash grab in an already pricey hotel. It's back to the Coast Plaza for us!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't facing the construction at Metrotown.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Great hotel. Unsure of the problems others had after reading other reviews, but my stay was fantastic - the staff were friendly, the rooms were spacious and clean and their is a variety of food options as well. My parents stayed in another room to mine which I didn't find as nice as mine - I would recommend asking for a room that has a high floor, but also that faces the skytrain as the view is better. Both of these things should reduce the noise as well. I wasn't overly impressed with the value of the evening meals, but they were good. Breakfast is a good shout as their are good options and it's served from 6am-11am. The Metrotown shopping centre is a 5 minute walk away where you can shop for groceries as well as find fast food restaurants as alternative food options. I would re-book without hesitation next time I'm in Vancouver.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Overall the hotel isn't too bad. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the rooms are immaculately clean. The real downside was the food, which in a word was terrible. Granted we had buffet food several times, but even by buffet standards it was less than adequate.

Room Tip: Some of the suites on the corners are quite large.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnaby
Maywood
Downtown
Fairmont Pacific Rim
Fairmont Pacific Rim
#3 of 92 in Vancouver

Been to Hilton Vancouver Metrotown? Share your experiences!