“Great Location”

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Burnaby
Brampton, Canada
“Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at this hotel. We were both very happy with the room and location. The first things I look for when booking a hotel are free parking, free wifi, a microwave, fridge, and a free Hot breakfast. This hotel has all that. There is also a heated outdoor pool on the third floor roof which was very nice. The room itself was typical Holiday Inn and clean, with a comfy bed. The location is what makes this a great stay. It is attatched to BC's largest mall. We didn't do any shopping but did use the restaurants and the food court. It was nice to leave the car parked in underground parking and walk to the mall for a bite to eat. We also bought meals and put them in the fridge to heat up in the microwave. This saved time and money. The hotel also gave us a coupon to take to the mall information booth where we received more coupons and discounts for the restaurants. Included were two free passes for the Skytrain. This was bonus as the Skytrain is also attatched to the mall. We left the parked car and took the Skytrain to the downtown waterfront, Gas Town etc. It only cost a few bucks for our return trip. Overall the hotel was perfect and we will definately be back when in BC.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Derrick H
Hotelgalvancouver, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Vancouver Metrotown, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you so much for your great review! You've discovered all the benefits of staying at our hotel, making it one of the Vancouver area's best-kept secrets. We all strive to ensure that every guest enjoys their stay, and it is very nice to know when we've succeeded. Thank you for posting your review, and we look forward to seeing you again when you are next in our area.

Linda Griffiths

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Quesnel, Bc Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stay at this hotel all the time when we come down to the coast from Central BC. I just realized that I have not done a review of this hotel so here it goes. Most of the times that we stay here we are more than happy with our stay. We stayed here two weekends in a row at the beginning of Sept. this year. The first stay we had a nice quite room down at the end of the hall on the 4th floor. Even though the bed was very comfortable the pillows that were on it were hardly worth calling a pillow. Usually there is a selection of a couple of soft and firm pillows on the beds in the rooms where we stay. This stay had 4 so called soft pillows but if you put 2 pillows together they could barely be called one pillow. The carpets are also starting to look a little haggard. On our second stay we were on the 5th floor right across from the elevator. I thought that we would be able to hear noise from the hall but was quite impressed that there was little noise from the hallway. However, I can not say the same thing for the noisy air conditioners that are in the rooms. Usually I turn off the air conditioner and open up the window at night to avoid the noise but this room had two great big cooling fans right below the window so the noise was worse from outside. I highly do not recommend rooms around this area of the hotel if you plan on opening your windows for fresh air. On a better note, the rooms have always been very clean when we stay here and the location is very convenient for shopping and getting around as the Skytrain station is just across the road and the Metrotown bus loop is right beside the hotel. The complimentary breakfast is always very good even though some times it is hard to find an empty table. The free underground parking and wifi are always appreciated and we have never had any problem with our vehicle when left in the parkade. Shopping if that is your gig is also right next door in the Metrotown and Chrystal malls. There are lots of very good restaurants within walking distance as well. My biggest disappointment this trip was not with the hotel per say but with the Holiday Inn promotions that were being offered. I was given a promotion pamphlet when we checked in that said that you could earn 1000 Priority points for each night that we stayed till the 3rd of Sept. We checked in on the 1st and stayed till the 4th. When I tried to register for this promotion on line the code that was provided did not work. Then there was also a contest that was advertised on the hotel wifi entrance page. It was for a $75.00 preloaded mastercard if you stayed 2 consecutive nights over a weekend. I entered to register for this promotion as well and it said to print out the registration and send it in with our hotel bill. Seeing as I did not have a printer I decided to wait until I got home to fill everything out and send it in. I was very disappointed to find out that this promotion was apparently only available to American customers and not Canadian customers. If they are not going to give it to Canadian customers, perhaps they should not be promoting it in Canada or make a large not on the internet add letting us lowly Canadians know that we are not appreciated as much as the Americans. When I got home a week later I phoned the number on the first promotion regarding the free miles and was told that I could not receive them because the promotion had now ceased. I tried explaining that I would have registered on time if I had been provided with a correct access code, which by the way didn't work on the phone in registration call either. I had reserved all of our reservations for stays at 3 different Holiday Inn Expresses through the Priority Club online reservations so they already knew when I was staying and that it was over a weekend. So after staying the 3 consecutive nights I ended up with nothing for either of the promotions. When I phoned to complain I was given a phone number that had an abrupt lady on the other end who basically said sorry too bad you are too late. Even though I was totally disappointed in their promotions and vowed not to stay at Holiday Inn Express again, I have now had a week to calm down and will probably be booking a stay for this hotel again in November as we have a chance to come down for a weekend. After all it is the Hotel that we stay at which is reasonably priced and has usually very good service. Promotions are just an extra and I have learned not to count on them so won't be disappointed again if they don't work out.

Room Tip: If you plan on opening your windows and you don't want all the noise you do not want a room arou...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sarabyn
Thank you so much for your review. We are very sorry to hear that the Priority Club promotion did not work out for you, and we wll contact Priority Club to see if there is anything that can be done for any guests that may have had a similar problem. We certainly want to see you rewarded for your loyalty!

We are happy to hear that you will be coming to stay with us again in November, and look forward to your arrival.

Kamloops, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

My Daughter-in-law, myself and my two granddaughters had the pleasure of staying at this hotel on Aug 9, 10 & 11 this year (2012). I was so impressed with the location as you are only steps from the Sky Train via a second floor ramp access to cross from the hotel. We purchased a pass for each of us for one day. The cost was $9 for an adult and $7 for seniors and children 5 and over. This gave us access to the sky train, the buses and the sea bus, unlimited rides for the entire day. I mention this because of the Holiday Inn's safe access as we have all heard the horror stories about some of the stations. We enjoyed the lovely heated roof-top pool on several occasions and of course the price of the room included breakfast for all four of us - pretty darn hard to beat when breakfast includes pancakes, meat, eggs and all of the other good things. And now for the best part - Shopping! the same second floor ramp that takes you from the hotel to the sky train also takes you to the doors of Metrotown Centre - an absolutely fabulous place to shop. More than 400 stores on three levels and open until 9pm, 6 days per week and 11 - 7 on Sun.. The food court offers in excess of 20 options which was wonderful with a 5 & 8 year old's idea of what they want for supper, as well as 8 restaurants. Mom could shop while the girl's and I hung out at the pool. We parked our vehicle in the secure underground parking area (no extra charge) and we didn't move it again until the day we left. You know what they say - Location, Location, Location. Only 15 minutes from downtown Vancouver on the Sky Train. Minutes from shopping and meals as well as the theatre. I would also like to mention that the rooms were spotless - no bugs of any kind and the service second to none. I would very definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: The air conditioning units are a little loud but they serve to cover up any snoring and the cool was...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank cjwiggins
Thank you so much for your kind words. We all really appreciate hearing that guests loved our hotel and our location. While we think we're one of the best locations in the Vancouver area, it's always nice to know that our guests have discovered that secret as well. We hope to see you back again soon!

kegs605
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

nice and close to the mall, the room was spacious and clean. The breakfast was hot and tasty. The nearby restaurants were a short walk from the hotel.I would recommend this hotel to others, and i would stay here again, When i go back to the coast i would go back here again, although i didnt use the pool it looked very inviting.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank kegs605
Thank you so much for your kind review. I always love to hear from guests that have enjoyed our hotel and our service. We are a popular hotel for both families and business travelers alike. The proximity to Metropolis mall, the skytrain, and all the amenities that are included - free hot buffet breakfast, free parking and free wireless interenet - provide great value.

I really appreciate you taking the time to let others know of your experience at our hotel. Thank you.

Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

I suppose nothing would have really impressed me after the gorgeous place where we stayed in Victoria, but I figured by the end of our trip, we'd want to spend a little less money. We booked through Expedia and got what we paid for (a view of a roof).

I liked the fact that it was near a mall and the skytrain station, and even that it was near the two cemeteries that I needed to visit (genealogist at work, y'all...). But that was all.

The room was small and cramped. Somewhat clean, but still felt grungy. It was quite warm when we were there (believe it or not), and we had been sitting on highway 99 behind an accident for an hour. Needless to say, I was not amused when I put the ac on high cold and nothing happened.

We discovered that if you leave it on too long at too cold a setting, it evidently fills with ice or something and flicks off. So it was a constant game of musical AC. We'd put it to the vent for a while, then see if the AC was working and turn that on. It got REALLY old.

The skytrain was convenient, yes, but the mall is a pain. Full of teenagers not being supervised and kind of a mob scene. One night I felt like a Blizzard at the DQ so we braved the crowds. Wouldn't do it again. The mall itself has definitely seen better days. Just near the one entrance to the hotel it looked like a ghost town. Not much business until you get down past the bus stops.

The free breakfast was barely edible, which I found disappointing, as I've stayed at plenty other Holiday Inn Expresses and found the breakfasts to be completely great (in TIFFIN, Ohio no less!). The pastries were dry, the coffee undrinkable, the apple juice a separated mess of watery substrate with an apple flavoring in a different layer.

There is an Earl's nearby for dinner, and we ended up going to Starbucks for a breakfast sammy and/or a protein pack most mornings we were there. There's also an ABC Country Restaurant on Boundary Road we went to on our last morning.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank miselainis
Thank you for your comments on your stay at your hotel. Because of your comments, we had maintenance review the operation of the A/C unit in your room, and it has been repaired. Thank you for letting us know. We are directly connected to the 2nd largest shopping and entertainment complex in Canada. It is a popular destination with all sorts of people, young and old. Our Express Start Breakfast includes both hot and cold menu items that most of our guests are very pleased with. Our pastries are delivered fresh daily, our juice and coffee are the same all across Canada, as we have to use the same suppliers. Most guests are very pleased with our offering, and I apologize that you found it lacking.

We hope that we can offer you accommodation again when you next visit our area.

Kelowna, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

Small damp musty room. Unvacuumed carpet in hall and room. Warm fridge. Urine smell around the toilet. Broken curtain rod, Sky train and building air conditioner visible from my window. Breakfast was a shock. Self serve wonder bread toast, machine dispensed cheerios, nursing home yoghurt cups of the cheapest variety and old congealed Danish buns. Vile. Cramped scruffy grubby little hotel that should have been charging $75/night but charged $155. Clerk sounded surprised when he saw my booking was for "2" nights. Very comparable to the Super 8 motel in Ohio where I expected a bit of scruff but found less and was pleased to stay for a more reasonable rate. It is all about the location of this one as it is directly adjacent to the large Metrotown shopping center and bus depot in the ethnic community of Burnaby. They provide complimentary underground parking and the staff was helpful and polite.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Vancouver Metrotown, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear LVDanl,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are pleased that you have mentioned our friendly and polite staff. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. We are deeply sorry that you were not satisfied with the overall condition of the room. I want to assure you that we work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and your comments will certainly be looked into. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Janice A,
Case Manager
IHG Care
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

We spent one night at Holiday Inn Express Hotel in Metrotown,Burnaby. This would be the last hotel we would stay before leaving Canada. We drove from Vancouver to Alaska and back and now ready to fly back to Sydney. In the past, we have been in Vancouver several times and stayed in different hotels. This time, we wanted a hotel closer to the airport, but not in the airport. Our flight fromVancouver was on the next day, late at night. The normal checkout time was 11:00am, but we needed to stay in the hotel till late evening and to be on the safe side, we booked the room for two days.
When we checked in, we explained our problem to Andy, the person who was at the reception. He was very helpful and changed our booking from two days to one and half days and said we can do a late check out at 7:00PM.
The room was very clean, quite big and had a fridge in the room. The beds were very comfortable. The free Wi Fi connection was fast. The hotel provided free continental breakfast which was reasonable.
We were pleasantly surprised to find this hotel was right next to Metropolis, the biggest shopping mall in British Columbia and the second largest in Canada. My wife and daughter spent most of their time doing last minute shopping in this shopping mall.
The hotel is conveniently located to take the sky train to the airport if necessary. There was free underground parking in he hotel for vehicles. We were able to relax and stay in the room till about 7:00pm before leaving for the airport. By that time the office rush was over and we managed to get to the airport within twenty minutes.
There are many other hotels near the airport and this may not be the best choice if you are planning to stay close to the airport. But if you are in Vancouver for a short visit and have a long shopping list, this is the ideal hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnaby
Maywood
Holiday Inn Vancouver Centre
#35 of 89 in Vancouver
South Main
BEST WESTERN PLUS Uptown Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel Vancouver Metrotown? Share your experiences!