Tripadvisor

“Busy Hidden Gem”
Review of White Lotus Cafe

White Lotus Cafe
Ranked #150 of 754 Restaurants in Burnaby
Description: Fresh Vietnamese Cuisine, specializing in authentic Banh Mi and Pho dishes.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Okay, if you’ve been reading my blog for a while now, you probably know that I’m not really inclined to wait in long lines for restaurants. I usually pre-plan and look up when places are busy to avoid those hours. Unfortunately, Google’s not always that accurate (I probably shouldn’t say that out loud… I can hear the black helicopters hovering nearby as I type this).

We headed out for (what we thought was) an early lunch at a place that just popped up on my radar recently… White Lotus Cafe. This Vietnamese restaurant is located in an out-of-the-way strip mall off of Lougheed Hwy, near Holdom. We were a bit surprised that there was already a line-up out the door when we got here. When we entered the restaurant, we quickly figured out why… this is a really small location. They’ve only got seating for maybe 20 people at best. But since we were just a party of 2, they said the wait shouldn’t be too long.

The first item that we ordered was the Gỏi Cuốn ($5) which is basically a salad roll filled with shrimp and Vietnamese ham and then wrapped in rice paper roll. The rolls were shorter than I’m used to but they were much fatter as well. These were really good and came with a thick peanut sauce.

The main reason why I wanted to come here was for their White Lotus Platter ($16) which is basically a sampler platter with a side of vermicelli, pickled vegetables, and fish sauce and topped off with fried shallots and green onions. In the platter, you also get Chả Giò (deep-fried spring rolls with ground pork and shrimp), meat patties, sugar cane shrimp, and grilled meats. The price is well worth the amount and variety of food that you get in the platter.

Last up was the Bánh Mì ($5.75) served with pâte, cilantro, cucumbers jalapenos, pickled daikon & carrots, mayo, and your choice of meat. In hindsight, I probably should have stuck with a cold-cut version instead of ordering the chicken variety. I’m used to chicken bánh mì being made with grilled chicken and I found this chicken was more like roasted chicken so it was a bit drier than I would have liked. That being said, this Viet sub had a nice crusty exterior when you bit into it and the rest of the filling was quite good.

So, with all of that said… the food here is pretty good (especially given the area). But expect a bit of a lineup… especially during their busy hours.

Date of visit: October 2019
Write a reviewReviews (6)

Reviewed November 23, 2018 via mobile

Video review on youtube: vancity food crew white lotus cafe
This small little place can only seat 16, but they have quality food. The pho had amazing broth, not too salty but very flavourful. I also ordered the White Lotus Platter to see how they do their other meats. The springrolls are average but the pork patties and pork skewers are very good. They have a lot on the menu and I would definitely return, only thing that needs to be improved is more attentive service.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed August 14, 2018 via mobile

Multiples five stars reviews brings us to White Lotus. My wife and I shared the pho and an order of goi coun (shrimp salad roll). The pho came only in one size but is considerably large. The soup is exceptionably tasty deep in flavors. I was so impressed with the soup that I returned with my son to eat here. The noodles were a bit softer than our liking but pho is about the soup and it made us return.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed July 15, 2018 via mobile

Had the fresh lime soda with club soda which was really delicious! Friend had lemongrass chicken which was really crispy and generous

Date of visit: July 2018
1  Thank YouChang
Reviewed March 11, 2018

Saw this little place in a strip mall that I stopped at to buy some groceries and saw it was busy so thought I would try it. Tasty vietnamese food at reasonable prices. Good portion sizes.
As a side bar this small strip mall Parkcrest Plaza has 5 restaurants in it!

Date of visit: February 2018