“Avoid at all costs”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Vancouver
“Avoid at all costs”
Reviewed November 1, 2008

Having noticed Nao Sushi (formerly Sushi House) had expanded and renovated it looked like a good bet to try a new sushi spot after eating at many sushi restaurants in the Lower Mainland. Being within walking distance was also a plus.

My partner is Taiwanese and she noted the number of Asians and said "HMMM... Looks good." I was the only Caucasian, not unusual as we often eat at restaurants that are outside the non Asian mainstream

Huge mistake in this case.

When we entered the lobby wait station we were asked to wait although there were several open tables. After about 10 minutes more people came in and the server seemed ready to seat them. I said excuse me but we have been waiting.

We were then shown to table. Nice decor, clean, etc. It looked good except that the temperature in the restaurant was about 85F and it was very humid and close. This on a night when it was a cool and damp fall evening.

Nice menu. Standard sushi, sashimi, dinner boxes, etc. After perusing the menu my partner and I decided on a combo meal. After several attempts to get the attention of a server we finally had someone come over. We pointed to our choices and the server said this is not on the menu any longer - seemed strange as the restaurant had just recently re-opened with a new menu.

We then went back to the menu and made more choices. This time it only took about 10 minutes to get someone to come over. We placed our order.

We waited. And waited and waited.

Other people coming in were seated and food was arriving at their tables. My partner called our server over several times and she was assured our order was coming. After about another 45 minutes it did arrive... only it was not what we had ordered.

At that point we left the restaurant after lodging a complaint which was studiously ignored.

I have eaten at restaurants all over the world and have never experienced such an utter lack of interest in customer service and this is in my own backyard so to speak.

Avoid this place at all costs.

5 Thank Foodie1951

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Former Sushi House is grand opening as Nao sushi. Kamameshi (Japanese rice dish cooked in an iron pot) was signature...”
Reviewed October 12, 2008

Former Sushi House is grand opening as Nao sushi. Kamameshi (Japanese rice dish cooked in an iron pot) was signature dish, but it's not ready to be ordered. Too bad! :( (They said it'll be ready next weekend.) As alternatives, I ordered sushi & zaru soba (cold buckwheat flour noodle) set. Tuna and salmon of sushi was fresh and soft meltingly, and soba was cooked to al dente. Service was slowed down after having full seat. You might want to be there before 11:30 am for lunch. I hope I can give 5 stars for kamameshi next time. (Visited and reviewed on Oct, 2008)

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook