“AMAZING FOOD, AWESOME SERVICE”
Review of Simba's Grill - CLOSED

Simba's Grill
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
The Woodlands, Texas
“AMAZING FOOD, AWESOME SERVICE”
Reviewed July 21, 2010

I visited Simba's last week during a business trip to Burnaby. My client asked how I would like to try African Indian food. Sounded interesting so I said yes. We went to Simba's original location on Edmonds Street. Small place but the owner's wife (Yasmin) waits on all the tables at this location. She knows everything about every dish on their menu and even can suggest certain dishes that go well together. And she warns you about the temp of the spices your order. Yasmin was so nice. I actually felt like I was eating at her home. I had a chicken dish with yellow curray and we had the short ribs and wings. My client ordered goat which I thought I would never eat but I tried it - wow - amazing flavor and tender like butter. The african beer was good too (can't remember the name of it). One of my coworkers who joined us for dinner was veg. Yasmin made him a special dish of Prawns. I got to sample the dish. My dish was great, but I should have ordered the prawns. Amazing flavor and huge prawns.
After all of us ate Yasmin was surprised to find out that we wanted dessert.
Desset that night was cheesecake with mango ice cream on the side covered in a fresh mango puree with almonds. Tasty! My client ordered a new ice cream from the latest menu which was taken from the owners recent trip to Kenya. I can't remember the name of the ice cream - it's basically the stuff that you eat when you leave an Indian resturant to freshen your breath - they have found a way to make that into ice cream. It was great too but my client didn't want to share and he ordered a to go of the ice cream for his wife.
Anyway, I can't wait to go back to Simba's upon my next trip to Vancouver / Burnaby.
Yasmin - if you read this I want you to know dinner was awesome. Thanks!!!

1 Thank headshaver77382

Vancouver, Canada
“The prawns pili pili and...”
Reviewed July 29, 2008

The prawns pili pili and the mango cheesecake is is the best.

1 Thank GK L
Kaneohe, Hawaii
“Delightful Hideway for African Food”
Reviewed July 23, 2008

During a visit to Vancouver, we were looking through the Entertainment Book which we purchased for discounts and found a coupon for Simba's Grill which served African food. Arriving at their busiest time for Sunday dinner with no reservations, the hostess/waitress/ owner was most accommodating. She suggested we go for a walk while she prepare the next available table for us. Having little knowledge of this quisine, we communicated our likes and dislikes and asked for recommendations. The food was excellent. I especially enjoyed the unusual homemade ice cream flavors I had for dessert. As we took our time savoring this meal, we couldn't help but notice how many of the patrons were regular customers. If you visit, ask the owner about the table and chairs hanging from the ceiling.

1 Thank WayneMarilyn