“Authentic Sushi at reasonable price” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 139 Restaurants in Campbell River
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian, Korean
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Calgary, Canada
“Authentic Sushi at reasonable price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

Price was higher than the lower mainland BC but better than most other places including Kagashima Japan. Fresh seafood that gave the choice of farmed and wild salmon dishes.

We were impressed with the service and overall decor was authentic and tasteful.

We will go back on our next trip to Campbell River.

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank FunOnly

Campbell River, Canada
“Sushi was average, price higher than it should be.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

I gave Sushi Mong a try as we were running late and the kids were hungry. The service was decent and the food was served fairly quickly (there were only 3 tables with people). While the sushi was nicely presented and the rolls were an expected size, I found the prices to be a bit higher than a few of the other sushi restaurants in town when better sushi can be had in those other places.

I would be willing to eat there again, but only to join friends that have already decided its where they are going to eat. If I was trying to decide where to go for dinner, it would not be back to Sushi Mong, I would be looking for better food elsewhere.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank SkydiverBC
Campbell River, Canada
“Food was great...service was poor.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

I didn't have high expectations for this (another) sushi restaurant in Campbell River, but we were pretty impressed with the food. The service on the other hand...well it pretty much sucked. It was a busy night so hopefully that is part of the reason.

THE SETTING:
We had 4 adults, 2 adolescents and 2 young children. The menu is large! And not everything has a description (but alot of the larger specialty rolls DO). The prices were fairly reasonable (especially after we saw the size of the rolls!!). There are some non-sushi items such as teryaki and noodle dishes. We had a booth which was nice and private. The decor is not very asian influenced but they have done what they can with what they have.

THE SERVICE:
The waitress snapped at us a couple of times...like when we asked for coloring stuff for the kids, she didn't acknowledge the request at the table so our friend went up to ask her again....thinking she hadn't heard him. Well she made it known that she HAD indeed heard him the first time.
It WAS busy and I guess she was in a hurry so she also tended to cut you off (finish your sentence) when you were asking a question. She also nonchalantly slammed another sushi restaurant in town which I thought was pretty unprofessional. Also she gave at least 4 excuses as to why all the mistakes. Just own it - say your sorry and move on!!

The FOOD:
The appys came out pretty quick (sunomono salad and tempura prawns) and the rest of the food didn't actually didn't take too too long, the problem was the small children had ordered teryaki chicken and it didn't come out until the rest of us were completely done our meal. I think they forgot to make it. The poor things were starving. They also brought out a wrong order and forgot to make another item we had ordered. Like I said it WAS busy.
That all being said...the food was GOOD! Mong Roll, Tiger Roll...YUMMY! The Tempura Prawns (only 4 per order)...not overcooked and nice light batter, Mixed Tempura has only 2 prawns (which is why we ordered BOTH) and a nice variety of veggies. No free refills on the sodas.

This is what we ordered and the bill was $100:
2 Red Wine

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank Lisamri
Comox, Canada
“Worth a Trip from Comox”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

I went to Sushi Mong for the first time today - was picking up some stuff in Campbell River and figured I'd stop in for lunch before heading out of town. The atomosphere is nice and the food is really good. I am fussy and don't even like sushi that much so I was looking for a little hot sake and some teriyaki chicken, but the lunch specials looked too good to pass up. What I got was called "Chicken B" which included miso soup to start, then a sort of divided platter with teriyaki chicken, sticky rice, tempura vegetables, salad, three different kinds of nigiri (tuna, salmon and shrimp), and a cored orange, all for $12.95. It was enough food for two people, but sadly I was there alone so had to eat it all myself LOL. Every single bite was absolutely delicious. I even ate the nigiri and I never thought I'd ever try that. The service was very good, they bring what you want promply, don't pester you while you're eating, and seem genuinely interested in whether you enjoyed the food. A very positive experience, and I'll be going back even if it is a bit of a drive from Comox.

• Visited July 2011
3 Thank comoxvalleymassage
Fort McMurray, Canada
“Best Japanese food I've ever had outside of Japan”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2011

I really don't understand the rest of the comments here - the service was phenomenal, everything was very cheap, and the food was the best I've ever had outside of Japan. I cannot recommend this place highly enough!
(For those curious, my partner and I got the assorted tempura, kani rolls, spicy tuna rolls, chicken teriyaki, vegetable don, oshinko rolls, miso soup, and sake. All were amazing!!)

• Visited July 2011