“Over Night stay from Powell River”

Anchor Inn & Suites
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Campbell River
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Myself, my sister and her daughter stayed there overnight because sis's daughter was going in for knee surgery the following morning. We had time to enjoy the pool and hot tub, spent some time talking to other clients. All units at this site have patios overlooking the ocean and we saw two big cruise ships on their way to Alaska lit up in all their glory. Included in our stay was a continental breakfast which was a lot different the usual fair. Kathy could not eat because of her surgery but sis and I endulged in a real nice meal of scrambled eggs, hash browns bacon, toast and coffee strong the way I like it first thing in the morning. It has elevator access and is also wheel chair accessible a real nice atmosphere and people working there with a real nice attitude willing to answer most any questions you may want to ask. It is right on the old island highway and very easy to find plus it was a stones throw away from the hospital another bonus.

Room Tip: The upper floors have the best views and most parking is in the back.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
manager07, General Manager at Anchor Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Thank you for your support.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

The picture of the Anchor in the internet displayed and reality are very different: The Anchor is old, worn out and chubby. It may have been nice 15 years ago. Now, it is just hardly OK for spending a night passing by. But no more. And even for that it is too expensive.
There are better alternatives a little further down the road.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Came into campbell river late past 11 and had no problem getting a room. The lady at the front desk was very polite and patient. The rooms are very clean, the hotel is quite old, but the rooms seemed well kept, had a great view. There is no a/c so just a fan we turned the fridge off and put the fan on the balcony for a few minutes to encourage the breeze in. The breakfast was included, I ordered something else at the restaurant which was "ok". Suggest that even in you are an egg eating vegetarian to go with the included breakfast it was hearty dose of eggs and fresh hash towns and toast. Just take away the bacon. My partner got it and it was better than what I got and I paid more.

Overall I'd recommend this as a great "on a budget" hotel. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I picked this hotel because when I booked the room we were told we would be on 'beach level" so right on the water...checked in on the 5th floor to find out we were on the 2nd floor right above a big parking lot that was between us and the water...not exactly beach level and no beach here just rock front. The view was nice - saw a couple of passing cruise ships but this is a VERY dated hotel with a strange lay out. the room was adequate but the walls are paper thin so be sure you don't have noisey people beside you if you want a good sleep. The room doors all slam shut so that will also wake you up. The hotel did not seem very busy judging by the few cars in the parking lot yet we were put right next door to some young fellows who came in late from partying - we could hear everything. The decks are connected so we could hear them on the deck at 1:00 a.m. When I checked out I mentioned this to the fron desk attendant and she just sort of chuckled...
Breakfast was good, which was included and the restaurant had a nice view but we were only allowed to sit in the upper part not by the windows even though the place was empty.
I would not stay here again and wouldn't recommend it...for the price there are compareable hotels that have similar views of the ocean and are probably nicer.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Incredible waterfront location close to Campbell River city center. The property is in need of maintenance inside and out and is quite dated. Rooms were super clean and all have that wonderful ocean view. We had a tap that had been running hot water for months at least that would not turn off. We advised the front desk and they said they would have someone look at it on Monday (this being Friday) as they have no maintenance people on the weekend? Didn't bother us, but what a waste of hot water! We had the breakfast which was included in the price of the room (not a bad deal as you got bacon, eggs, toast and fried potatoes) but the restaurant was so hot that it was almost impossible to relax or stay long enough to eat. The reason: the thermostat controls are locked and only one person has the key and they live in Parksville - really??? Doesn't seem very logical. Anyway, we had a great time as we were there with a huge group of people for a hockey tournament and the important part is that the rooms were clean and the beds comfy!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 23, 2012

I also stayed at the hotel after the blow out. This hotel sits right over the ocean and it to sustaned lots of damages from the big blowout. Of the millions of dollarsin damages in Campbell River I am sure it got thousands. I was warned of it by the front desk clerk when I rented my room, at a very dicounted price. I was happy that they stayed open and I had somewhere that was warm & dry and that they were giving local people a large discount due to the near hurrican. Yes the hotel had a lot of damage on the outside but I was warm and treated very welcome for the 3 nights I stayed with them.I stayed at this hotel again last night and was shown your review and I could not believe it and if you check they are already fixing the damages.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 19, 2012

We live in Campbell River and got caught in the Blowout of 2012 and had no power for three days and needed a room for a couple nites. All of our first options were booked, so we had little choice.
This has got to be the most dilapidated, overpriced, and over promoted Hotel I have ever stayed in. We couldn't get out of there fast enough in the morning.
I am embarrassed to think that we are actually promoting this facility to our tourists.
Hope this helps others to steer clear of this place.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family