There were many great things that cannot be argued...great views, clean wonderful waters and the really the only lodge in Strathcona Park.
BUT this is a very tired place and I am sure at one time was fantastic. Unlike other review i found the rooms clean but the grounds around the Lodge could use a serious clean up. The beach had not been cleaned all season. The outhouse toilet were soo bad that is was almost impossible to walk by them without gagging.
The food was fine but way too expensive (i.e. Burger night is $25.00). They also recycle the same dishes again and again (we saw the same rice dish @ 4 meals in a row).
The young staff seems to be completely unsupervised. They played loud music, lined up first for all meals and took prime seating overlooking the lake. Two meals in a row we were not approached by our waitress because she was too busy hanging out with the staff table.
We were also very surprised by the condition of the kayaks at the lodge. They were in terrible condition. Not only that the lodge charges you an $$ hourly rate to rent them. We were in fact overcharged.Because of the cost and condition was the kayaks we kayaked alot less than we would have liked to.
The lodge overall completely nickel and dimes you during you stay. I was very surprised that the planned afternoon activity was for a fee.
Would I go back? yes...But i would bring my own food...my own BBQ and maybe my own kayak if possible (likely could have rented one for the week in Campbell River)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Living on the edge since 1959, Strathcona Park Lodge pioneered self propelled and off the grid wilderness experiences on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. From the lake side cabins, chalets and rooms experience wilderness inspired summer holidays, guided trips and group gatherings. Home base for WYLD youth summer camps, the COLT leadership training program and outdoor education programming, SPL is a leader in experiential education and wilderness vacations. The setting The Boulding family chose well when they picked the site for Strathcona Park Lodge. From almost every room on the property you can get an amazing view of glacier carved valleys, big pristine lakes and rocky/snowcapped peaks. There are several hikes, viewpoints, protected bays and beaches, climbing bluffs, old growth trees, high ropes courses and zip lines -- and that's just on the property. Strathcona Provincial Park, B.C.'s oldest protected area, is just down the road. Within 30 minutes go whitewater paddling, mountain biking, more rock climbing, or lace up for interpretive walks, hikes and mountaineering routes. A little further is world class sea kayaking and whale watching on both sides of Vancouver Island. Summer vacations Perfectly poised between the mountains of Strathcona Provincial Park and a sprawling lake chain the Lodge is an ideal base for exploring the heart of Vancouver Island. Hike, paddle, climb or just sit back and relax on the beach. Stay in lake-side cabins, mountain view chalets or hotel style rooms overlooking it all. Refuel on delicious and healthy food. Disconnect from the wired world and return recharged. Group Gatherings The Lodge loves groups. Big or small, 200 to 10, we have the capacity, facilities and experience to make any gathering unforgettable. Every year we host multiple weddings, family reunions and other large groups on our picturesque and family friendly setting. With a dedicated staff we take care of every detail. Outdoor education/school programs In the spring and fall schools visit Strathcona to learn outside of the classroom. Removed from their everyday, challenged mentally and physically and exposed to new experiences, our specially trained leaders help students gain confidence, leadership, teamwork and camaraderie - skills that can't be learnt from a desk. These are experiences students remember forever. WYLD summer camps A summer camp like no other, Wilderness Youth Leadership Development (WYLD) Expeditions are 8 to 12 day expeditions for adventurous teens, 12 to 17 years old. Based out of the Lodge's lakeside location, the camps explore the hiking trails, lakes, inlets, beaches, islands and mountains of Vancouver Island by foot, sea kayak and canoe. COLT Leadership Semester We believe COLT is the best outdoor leadership program in Canada. Founded in 1977 by Canada's oldest outdoor education centre, COLT is a learn-by-doing program with the best job opportunities, instructors and learning environment. And for the price no other program comes close to offering as much. Participants graduate with hard skills, like sea kayaking, rock climbing, mountaineering, whitewater paddling, but even more soft skills, like leadership, group dynamics, teamwork, confidence and determination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your Strathcona Park Lodge & Outdoor Education Centre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Strathcona Park Lodge And Outdoor Education Centre
- Strathcona Park Lodge & Outdoor Education Centre Hotel Campbell River