“Not quite what we expected”
Review of Painter's Lodge

Painter's Lodge
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Campbell River
Gibsons, Canada
“Not quite what we expected”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed two nights at Painter's Lodge in September 2013. It's steeped in fishing culture, of course. Great old photos on the walls of people from earlier times proudly holding up their giant catches. A very pleasant location, indeed. Lovely grounds.

Our "water view" room was a peek-a-boo view, so make sure you know what you're paying for. The room itself was spacious and comfortable, though dated. What really struck me, though, was the housekeeping - or lack thereof. Approaching our room with our suitcases after checking in, we passed a clear bag of slimy-looking garbage left in the passageway, along with bags of used laundry. Some guests must have left a few dirty dishes outside their room perched on the railing - these, and the bag of garbage, were still there when we left after two nights. It was pretty unsightly. In addition, the passageways are open to the outside, and leaves and debris had fallen and been swept or blown into drifts that were never tidied up. This all spoke to a lack of care and attention before we even turned the key to our room. I know it's September and it must be hard to stay on top of this, but no one had tried for some length of time.

We went for breakfast the first morning (lovely dining room, pleasant staff, decent food), then for a stroll, and later to the fitness room, leaving a tip for the housekeeper. To our surprise, our room had not been made up when we returned almost two hours later. (There is no way to indicate that you would like maid service or privacy.) In the early afternoon the housekeeping staff asked us if we "needed anything." By then we said no, don't bother. We went out for a walk and found that our room had been cleaned during this second absence, at around 3:00 p.m.

When I say "cleaned," it was almost impossible to tell that anyone had been in there, except that the tip had been accepted. The bed had been thrown together in such a sloppy manner that it almost looks like how I leave it BEFORE the housekeeper comes in. The bathroom sink had been wiped out, and some things rearranged, but I'm sorry to say it was the worst job of housekeeping I have ever seen.

Our balcony was also covered in old dead leaves and debris that looked like they might at one time have been swept into a few piles but never picked up. We, of course, tracked some leaf litter into the room, where it remained on the carpet after the room had been "cleaned."

The fitness room is a lovely little place that has potential, but most of the equipment we wanted to use was broken and/or missing parts.

Our dinner in the restaurant was great, and we had good weather and a gorgeous sunset.

We took a zodiac tour, and found it to be worthwhile, since we located a pod of orcas and watched them from a respectful distance. A pod of Pacific white-sided dolphins were leaping about on both sides of the zodiac. The operator was knowledgeable about the local waters and we felt safe and warm in our dry suits. We feel we got our money's worth.

The place is not living up to its potential. It has a slightly "haunted house" feel due to neglect.

1 Thank Claire F
ChristineFleming, General Manager at Painter's Lodge, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
I am greatly disappointed to hear about the level of service you received. This is absolutely not acceptable. I will be speaking with our housekeeping staff to ensure this doesn’t happen again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed at April Point on Quadra Island for 3 nights, but ate at the pub at Painter's Lodge - originally just to experience the complimentary tender ride across Campbell River - but were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. Fish & chips: very good. Dessert (home-baked apple pie with a separate dish of ice cream): excellent. Soup: superb. We learned that the soup chef is now 75 years old and has been coming to the lodge daily for over 30 years just to cook soup. His split pea soup was perfection. The wait staff are friendly; the prices reasonable and the view from the outdoor deck (with propane radiant heaters if required) an added bonus. In our travels throughout BC, we've discovered that many of the best restaurants are hidden away in resorts and golf courses, and as such, are not reviewed online. A pity.

By the way, the stay at April Point was very pleasant, with a rustic room and access to one of the best driftwood beaches in BC (far superior to Long Beach): Rebecca Spit on Quadra Island.
Whether you stay at Oak Bay Marine's Painter's Lodge property (a little more upscale accommodation) or their April Point site, be sure to bring your car over on the ferry for at least one day to visit Rebecca Spit.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind words. I’m so glad you enjoyed your meal at the Tyee Pub and I look forward to your next visit!
Appleby Magna, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We stayed one night in transit and we are not fisher folk. Our room was on the waterfront so we could watch the herons. It was a little scruffy but O.K. for one night. We ate in the pub not the restaurant. Nothing special, fried stuff, but our server was bright and friendly, luckily we checked our bill and found a drink that we had not had on it. Much apologies. We only had a glass of wine and a beer so not quite sure how this happened. Next morning the cooked breakfast was fine but nothing special.
Our impression was that in spite of the freindliness no one was trying too hard and things were a bit run down.

Room Tip: Waterfront for interesting views
1 Thank oneh
I’m sorry your stay at Painter’s Lodge was only satisfactory. I assure you we have much higher standards. We strive to be extraordinary, not just ordinary. Thank you for your feedback.
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed September 18, 2013

On Sept 18, 2013 I came to Painter's Lodge with 2 business colleagues who had traveled to Canada from the U.S., the reason for the visit was my attempt to show them the best that Vancouver Island had to offer in regards to dining out. We first went to the lounge where we were, for the most part ignored (even though we were standing up at the bar.).
We finally went over to the (one third empty) dining room where we stood in a line-up with 6 other people while waiters, waitresses & what appeared to be mai‧tre-ds scurried back & forth in apparent confusion. After approx 15 minutes when we finally got to the front of the line the person we were greeted by launched into a long winded explanation as to why dinner would take a very, very long time to serve because they had just had a large seating & that maybe we should dine instead in the adjacent lounge. I explained to this person that the tables available there were tiny (not enough room for 3 people) to which all I received back was an additional barrage of excuses & recommendations. Eventually in exasperation we went over to the pub, ate a hasty dinner served by a kindly waitress named Tammy & left. All in all a very disappointing experience. Later on when I called Painter's Lodge to express my unhappiness I asked to speak to the general manager, was put on hold for 10 minutes & then the line went dead. When I called back I spoke to someone named Melodie who treated me like I was dirt. When I explained what had happened up to this point - Melodie told me she had given the person I had spoken with 4 minutes earlier permission not to speak to me because I was calling at a very late time of night (11pm). In total disbelief I repeated that I had asked to speak to the general manager & that the line had just gone dead, to which Melodie said she (the other person) had realized this & that "another call had come in & it had cut me off" Melodie then flip-flopped between; I was calling too late, & that the general manager did not work till then, & that the other person had offered to put me through to the GM's voice-mail. All of which was totally contradictory since if as per Melodie's earlier comment, where she had acknowledged that I had been cut off - how then would I have been able to leave a voice-mail for the GM???
In my opinion if this is the best Painter's Lodge can do my advice to management is shut down your operation, retrain your staff & only open again when you are capable of delivering that which you are advertising & charging for.
P.S. If 11pm is too late a time to be talking to your customers, DON'T PICK UP THE PHONE

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank SteveBC88
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed September 18, 2013

After reading reviews saying the rooms were dated, we were pleased with them. The views are great, the shuttle trip over to April Point was a nice little hop. We took in the Adventure Cruise in a ten person zodiac and saw Pacific White Sided Dolphins and Stellar Sealions. Weather conditions were not great, quite foggy but I felt very safe.
Our package deal was for one night, a full breakfast in the dining room and the zodiac trip. We felt good value for our money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for the kind words. I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay, and your adventure tour. Come back soon!
Keedysville, MD
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We booked with Painter's the night before and the night after a grizzly-bear/whale watching lodge trip. The lobby area is very nice, with dark woods and a peek at the restaurant and the outside deck area. It's not huge, but for the size of the resort it is more than adequate. We never had more than one person in front of us whenever we went to the front desk. One reviewer recently gave a negative review of the lobby--I'm honestly not sure why. The grounds are also lovely.

We found the staff to be amazing overall: friendly, helpful, but not obsequious. This was true in the lobby (where they remembered us on our return night 4 days after the first night), the gift shop, the restaurant, and the deck/bar.

In particular: one incident stands out: Painter's offered to store the items we did not need for our grizzly bear lodge trip, as this trip had a significant weight limit for the float plane. This was MOST appreciated, as they were going to have to keep it for several days. We had them store two items, which were stacked in with a large number of other items the day we started the lodge trip. When we returned, one of the items was missing: after researching, it was felt that it probably was accidentally picked up and stowed with the large number of items from another group. I presented the manager with an itemized list of the items, and we were reimbursed with no questions asked. Now THAT'S service!

We agree overall with the reviews on the rooms: they are dated and rather Spartan (although everything worked, there was a mini-fridge, and the rooms were immaculately clean). The review of many of the fishermen seems to be that they don't really care about the room decor: they are not there to stay in the rooms. That is certainly legitimate. On the other hand, Painter's "paints" itself as offering much more: spa, fine dining, etc. And in that regard, they need to upgrade their rooms to dove-tail with the luxury options that they are offering. Perhaps two level of rooms/service?

We had water views both times--first night on the first floor and return night on the second floor. It was fun to be able to walk out onto the patio/grassy area right outside the room on the first floor, but we would recommend the second floor, as these rooms have vaulted ceilings and therefore seem more open and spacious.

Please be aware that there is no air conditioning in the rooms, and that the patio or deck doors do not have screens. Plus, the single window on the opposite side of the room does not open (at least not in the two rooms we stayed in). Therefore, there is no way to get a breeze through the room other than by leaving your room door wide open. And if the skeeters are out, leaving the windows open is NOT an option. PLEASE, management, PUT SCREENS ON THE WINDOWS!

Beds were of adequate firmness and we were not disturbed by any noise in the middle of the night. However, in the a.m. there was some type of maintenance going on very near our room--involving a large truck with hose: Extremely and distractingly loud. I do not want to exaggerate, but we would estimate that this activity started sometime before 9 a.m., and was still going on when we checked out around 10:30.

We ate a couple of times on the deck (casual). The food was good and the prices were reasonable. We ate one breakfast in the main dining room: more pricy, but also very good, with generous portions. The main dining room ambience was very good.

Room Tip: Get a waterview room on the second floor (see my review as to why).
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for visiting us and I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. I really appreciate your comments about our staff and service. We work extremely hard to ensure that our service is always up to our high standards, and I’m happy to hear we delivered. Please come see us again!
stockport
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Lovely spacious rooms with two double beds, views over the river a bear was spotted on the beach early morning, staff really friendly, and food in the pub area was great. They do have a restraunt but it it over priced so we avoided that. We were on an organised wildlife tour with cosmos/archers. Our tour guide was very knowledgable about the area and the history a place for older people not children.

Room Tip: Ask to have a room on the second floor overlooking the river
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Painter’s Lodge. And I’m so glad you enjoyed you enjoyed your tour. Make sure to come visit us again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Campbell River
April Point Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Quathiaski Cove
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
Black Rock Oceanfront Resort

Been to Painter's Lodge? Share your experiences!