We stayed two nights at Painter's Lodge in September 2013. It's steeped in fishing culture, of course. Great old photos on the walls of people from earlier times proudly holding up their giant catches. A very pleasant location, indeed. Lovely grounds.
Our "water view" room was a peek-a-boo view, so make sure you know what you're paying for. The room itself was spacious and comfortable, though dated. What really struck me, though, was the housekeeping - or lack thereof. Approaching our room with our suitcases after checking in, we passed a clear bag of slimy-looking garbage left in the passageway, along with bags of used laundry. Some guests must have left a few dirty dishes outside their room perched on the railing - these, and the bag of garbage, were still there when we left after two nights. It was pretty unsightly. In addition, the passageways are open to the outside, and leaves and debris had fallen and been swept or blown into drifts that were never tidied up. This all spoke to a lack of care and attention before we even turned the key to our room. I know it's September and it must be hard to stay on top of this, but no one had tried for some length of time.
We went for breakfast the first morning (lovely dining room, pleasant staff, decent food), then for a stroll, and later to the fitness room, leaving a tip for the housekeeper. To our surprise, our room had not been made up when we returned almost two hours later. (There is no way to indicate that you would like maid service or privacy.) In the early afternoon the housekeeping staff asked us if we "needed anything." By then we said no, don't bother. We went out for a walk and found that our room had been cleaned during this second absence, at around 3:00 p.m.
When I say "cleaned," it was almost impossible to tell that anyone had been in there, except that the tip had been accepted. The bed had been thrown together in such a sloppy manner that it almost looks like how I leave it BEFORE the housekeeper comes in. The bathroom sink had been wiped out, and some things rearranged, but I'm sorry to say it was the worst job of housekeeping I have ever seen.
Our balcony was also covered in old dead leaves and debris that looked like they might at one time have been swept into a few piles but never picked up. We, of course, tracked some leaf litter into the room, where it remained on the carpet after the room had been "cleaned."
The fitness room is a lovely little place that has potential, but most of the equipment we wanted to use was broken and/or missing parts.
Our dinner in the restaurant was great, and we had good weather and a gorgeous sunset.
We took a zodiac tour, and found it to be worthwhile, since we located a pod of orcas and watched them from a respectful distance. A pod of Pacific white-sided dolphins were leaping about on both sides of the zodiac. The operator was knowledgeable about the local waters and we felt safe and warm in our dry suits. We feel we got our money's worth.
The place is not living up to its potential. It has a slightly "haunted house" feel due to neglect.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the pristine shores of Vancouver Island, Painter's Lodge offers world-class salmon fishing, breathtaking wildlife and scenery and full amenities. When you're not fighting a mighty salmon on the line, soak in the outdoor pool, refine your serve on the tennis courts, or watch marine life play as you tour the coastline on a Wildlife Adventure Tour. Connected by water taxi, guests enjoy all the amenities including new Aveda Spa at April Point Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd and HRS so you can book your Painter's Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Painter`s Hotel Campbell River
- Painters Hotel Campbell River
- Painters Resort Campbell River