“Cabin at resort delivers!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Painter's Lodge

Painter's Lodge
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Campbell River
Victoria
“Cabin at resort delivers!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were delightfully surprised by the comforts of a 2 bedroom cabin at Painter's Lodge. Tucked into the forest on a well lit gravel path and yet only minutes from the pool and lobby and dock, this was a wonderful experience. We felt like we had gone to a very special little getaway that was all ours - even if only for 3 nights. The cabin had two bedrooms and bathrooms with a small but adequate kitchenette with a microwave (which was great) ! There were adequate dishes, utensils and cleaning supplies. One bedroom had two very comfortable Queen beds which my husband commented were "supreme" and the pillows were very nice and comfy too! It was nice to have windows that opened and while sitting on the window seat in the bedroom I had a good viewing spot of a deer nibbling on blackberries right in front of the cabin. How neat is that ! There was a bathroom near this bedroom with a generous shower. The other bedroom had a double bed and french doors to a private deck which had a nice table and chairs waiting. This bedroom had an en-suite bathroom which looked modern and new. Both bathrooms provided plush white towels and baskets of toiletries. The furnishings with a lovely wood kitchen table and desk and large sofa and other chairs was comfortable.
There were lots of windows and the curtains were very nice matching material throughout the cabin and kept the light out in the early morning (we are not fishermen) !
The housekeeping staff were friendly and also removed kitchen garbage daily. We felt very private in this cabin and this allowed our 6 yr old to make noise and jump around without disturbing others. We were close to the children's activity center which provides Wii and a DVD and books and games. The 2 minute walk to the pool was great. Despite some rain the pool temperature was warm enough to enjoy for an hour or more.
We enjoyed watching the fish being cleaned on the dock and took the free 10 minute boat ride to April Point. The grounds at Painter's Lodge are very pretty and there is a large well equipped BBQ area with tables and benches beside the pool. This was our third stay at Painter's and our first time in a cabin which will be our choice for our next visit. I highly recommend this experience for a young family.

Room Tip: I would recommend a Cabin for families. The little cabin in the woods experience can't be match...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ChristineFleming, General Manager at Painter's Lodge, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
I’m so glad you came to visit us again. Our cabins are a great choice for those looking for a little more privacy and space, and I’m happy you enjoyed it. I look forward to your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Took my wife here expecting a little more upper resort style and found out dated over used large rooms for perhaps four truly "fishermen" types who would probably be delighted to be roughing it in less than 3 star style. Perhaps I may return for a fishing but not my wife! Hotel was over sold and over rated! Painters Lodge is one step up from a fish camp, it's got a pool you know! April Point is truly a fish camp and over sold as a spa resort!

And by the way, their favorite saying at the camp is 'It's the last one" meaning room, fishing or even dinner reservations.

Room Tip: Don't take your wife for a romantic weekend, a resort it is not. Unless of course she is a true...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I’m sorry you were disappointed with our accommodations. I assure you our resort isn’t “just about fishing.” We offer a wide range of activities that are fun for everyone. We are constantly working to improve our amenities and I hope you come back to see us again.
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

(August 24th to August 26th) First of all, our fishing experience was so different then the previous review.

We went as a group of 4 for our 30th and 27th wedding anniversary's. They originally told us the boats only take max of 3 passengers but in my persistent calls I finally spoke with Sheri Smith at the main reservation office in Victoria, and she arranged a private guide from Painters Lodge who could take the four of us. A small upcharge, but the point was we wanted to go together. We limited out bringing in 16 pink salmon! It was a blast. Everyone around us was catching fish, we were in the area called Separation Head. We wanted the fun fishing experience, and all of our fish will be smoked.

Secondly, the place was beautiful. Grounds groomed and clean. Restaurant was very good and the fresh fish served was delicious.

There was a loud crazy wedding that first Saturday night and upon check out we were told that the wedding party paid for our friends room Saturday night as they were disrupted continually all night with noise ( they were directly underneath the party) How nice! Unexpected.

We also surprised our husbands with a special gluten free dessert which was perfect, I had ordered it ahead of time.

All staff at the hotel could not have been nicer or more accommodating from the front desk to all the wait staff, to the staff at the Marine Center. Pleasant, knowledgeable, helpful.

Room Tip: We were in the back in the Cortes wing. It was a garden view, I bet the front wings with water view...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChristineFleming, General Manager at Painter's Lodge, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
I’m so glad we were able to make this a great anniversary for you guys. Sounds like you had quite the fishing trip too, that’s awesome! I hope to see you again soon.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

I had always wanted to try Painter's Lodge, so when a friend from Alberta suggested a fishing week, I booked us a room and two half days of fishing. I think the last time I was in Campbell River was about 20 years ago and at that time I had enjoyed lunch at the lodge in the pub. This time we took a room with a direct view of the dock. The buildings are getting a little weathered with age (I noticed the roofs are being replaced a bit each year), but the room was clean, with high ceilings with nice beams, airy with a quiet fan (important since the sun can overheat the rooms during the day and there is no air conditioning), comfortable beds, and a small but comfortable deck for a drink at sunset. We actually never turned on the TV the entire 2 days we were there; it seemed almost sacrilegious. The pool is small but I enjoyed it in the hot afternoons. We ate the first night in the restaurant, seated on the deck, and it was very enjoyable; my friend had halibut and I had the prime rib with a local dark nutty beer. The next night we took the free ferry to April Point for sushi which I regret was a mistake. After starting that meal with oysters with a choice of sauces, we order a selection of special sushi rolls and tuna sashimi. The rolls were small, tasteless and tuna slices thin and with a stringy quality. To compensate we decided to have dessert and I will say the flourless chocolate cake was delicious. April Point may be worth staying at for the better views than Painter's , the garden and the spa.

Now the fishing...let me assure you I am fairly experienced at fishing unsuccessfully and have limited expectations of a guide, just that he do all he can to find and get a fish on my line. The first day we booked an afternoon which was probably not the best time of day; I later learned you should book the morning or evening. Our guide was a young fellow who had only been guiding a couple of years, and early impressions were not good. The gear was older and the hooks dull (I am of the opinion sharp hooks improve your chances, and so I checked while he was setting up). That said, my impressions improved as we fished. He tried everything he could to get us a fish; different depths, different speeds, different locations, long current lines and cross-current, and different gear, including an old and he claimed a favourite plug on which I got a 12 lb Chinook, but which he broke the plug while stunning the fish. We came back with the Chinook and a Coho, having thrown back several small or wild Coho. When we tipped him, he almost seemed surprised. The next morning we set out very hopeful. Our guide was older, more experienced, talked a good talk, and did next to nothing to get us into fish. He trolled the same route over and over, the same depths, speeds (he told us you wouldn't get fish except at one speed), and gear (I suspect he didn't have anything other than green hoochies). For 3 hours, we watch the rod tips and were bored, and came back empty handed. When we got back to the dock, the guide followed us about, clearly looking for a tip and was visibly annoyed when he didn't get one.

A few suggestions for those planning a fishing trip to Campbell River...first, if there are 3-4 of you on a trip, forget using guides from the lodge, book an independent guide which will cost you $1000 a day but is better value and you are more likely to get fish. If you must use the lodge, then go to the dock on arrival and watch the boats come in, watch which guides are more successful and then request that guide for your guiding trip. Would I go again? Sure...but I'd stay at April Point, and I would book the guide I noticed had one of the better success rates.

Room Tip: All the rooms look good, but the views from the dock side are better. Alternatively, try April Poin...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay at Painter’s Lodge. Fishing is never a sure thing, and each guide has his own strategies. I assure you that every guide does his very best to catch a fish and provide the best experience for every guest in his boat.
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

This was a repeat visit for a longer stay at the Painters, as my daughter and I had stayed here for one night a couple of years ago.

We ended up staying next door to the room we had last time in the Quadra building, and although a bit dated, the room was very comfortable, the only downside being the fact that people were smoking on the balconies either side of us, and at times we felt like we were in a kipper factory. Unfortunately, the balcony door and window was the only method of cooling the room as we had no other form of air conditioning. Maybe it's time to consider making some blocks non smoking - even on the balconies?

We really enjoyed our stay, eating in the restaurants in the lodge and at April point, the pub and the lounge, and I went on one of the whale watching tours.

The waterfront location, the fabulous views and the efficient staff combine to make this a great destination - I only wish we had had the loyalty scheme explained to us to help us save money.

We would definitely stay here again - if for no other reason than this is a hotel with individuality and character, rather than just another boring chain hotel which could be anywhere in the world!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for coming to stay with us again. I’m so glad this experience was just as good as your last one and we look forward to seeing again.
La Tour-de-Salvagny, Rhone-Alpes, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

We were staying 3 nights in 2 loft rooms in the Quadra building. First impression was a dated room, with very small dated bathroom. Why the sink is not in but next to the bathroom is a complete mystery to us. 2 queens on the first floor, and a full and a single bed upstairs. Small balcony with only 2 chairs. We had a view of the pool and part of the marina, unfortunately no orca's. We took the complementary ferry to Quadra Island, where our children could use free rods. They caught 2 mudsharks, which was quite an experience. We had some drinks on the gorgeous terrace of the restaurant at April Point, and saw some seals and otters. We had dinner in the lounge at Painters and that was very good. The quesedillas and the nacho's were excellent. And for a reasonable price. The pool is nice, you can ask for towels at the reception. I have become a member of the Oak Bay Marine group, which means a 10% discount on everything (except alcohol). Would stay here again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I’m so happy to hear you had a good experience. Thanks for visiting us and please come again.
Campbell River, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

We try this restaurant with a group and I am very surprise by this establishment. I take plate of oysters is very delicious and juicy. Portion is generous, presentation prefect. Really surprise by quality and taste.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChristineFleming, General Manager at Painter's Lodge, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
I’m so glad you enjoyed your meal. We look forward to seeing you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Campbell River
April Point Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Quathiaski Cove
Long Beach Lodge Resort
Black Rock Oceanfront Resort

Been to Painter's Lodge? Share your experiences!