“Loved It!”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Campbell River
Tucson, Arizona
“Loved It!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

My wife and I spent jumped on a "stay 2 nights get 1 free" promotion in May. When I booked the room I booked an ocean view room with a king bed. The room they assigned us had a great ocean view but 2 double beds. When we asked for a king bed room they went out of their way to accomodate us, and ended up putting us in a nice ocean view loft room at the same price. All of the staff was friendly and attentive.

While at the lodge we went fishing and took an adventure tour. Our fishing guide, Tom, was great and took us to where I caught a 17.5 lb chinook salmon. He fileted 1/2 for us and gave the rest awy to him and other guides. The lodge offers a cook your catch option and we had a fabulous fresh salmon meal for rhe next two nights. The cooking and presentation of our catch was 1st class!

Room Tip: select an ocean view room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Victoria, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

We were really looking forward to our first trip to the Painter's Lodge. We originally booked one night, but considered staying another as our arrival and check in went really smoothly. The check in lady ended up being the only helpful person we encountered in our entire stay - needless to say, we didn't stay a second night! First we were called by a housekeeper and accused of squatting in the room! How would we have gotten in the room? Obviously we had checked in, and maybe she should have called the front desk to check first.
We stayed over Mother's Day weekend, and my husband and son spent all week calling for a reservation for Mother's Day brunch, each time being told "someone from the dining room will call you back right away". No one ever did, all week. Once we got to the lodge, the brunch was all booked up. We told the dining room manager about the issue, and she didn't seem to care at all. Completely appalling!
Maybe it was because they had only opened for the season the weekend before, but all of the employees seemed completely clueless. We asked for the key to the kids playroom, and stood around waiting for the girl to find it. Once we arrived at the kids room, there are signs inside saying all of the video games, board games, etc are at the front desk - the girl that gave us the key didn't even think to ask us if we would like anything to use in the room.
Saving grace: We ate at the pub and the food was amazing!

Due to their disrespect for their customers, we will not return to the Painter's Lodge.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Eli P
Lea Marston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

I have come here with my 2 young sons and husband. We read the previous reviews and were a little nervous about going to a fishing lodge - as we are not fishers.
It is a fab place. The staff could not be more friendly and helpful. We have been on a wildlife tour which was brilliant. There is a room for the children with a tv and xbox360 and wii. My boys have used fishing rods and caught fish and loved it. Our room overlooks the inlet and is beautiful. It was very relaxing and I would definitely come here again.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Cath D
Waterloo, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed here recently for a meeting. Nice hotel by the water in Campbell River. Good pub, food was OK. It was before the main fishing season so the room I was assigned was huge and split over two floors. Too big for me. Some people here claim the decor is tired but I found it fine and very clean. No complaints about the room, except for the lack of wifi reception. Free access via water taxi shuttle to the sister resort on Quadra island. Wish I could have stayed longer and rented a kayak.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Mike-OWaterloo
Nanaimo, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Not what we expected. My husband's first comment was a small TV. He sat down on the floor to watch it, the bed was too far away. But the food brunch was great, and had a lot of seafood.
The staff were very friendly, and attentive. Eat outside it you can for the view.

Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Painter's Lodge has had a long history. She was showing her age in our ocean front ground floor unit. The floors creaked throughout the unit. The floor in the bathroom was home to dead bugs. The decor is moving from rustic to old and tired. The splendor of Painters Lodge has been lost at this end of the complex.

The main building has a spectacular view across to its sister resort April Point on Quadra Island. Don't forget the shuttle between the resorts. The outside deck is a great place to eat and take in the fresh air with the sun and the sea.

We were there for a weekend work shop. The presentation rooms were well laid out for speakers and the audience. There were ample pitchers of water and glasses available. The sound system was good. The grounds are well kept. The staff was pleasant and attentive.

As our days were busy, we opted for the breakfast buffet. There were ample choices. We did not view the a la carte menu. There was a brunch starting at 10 am.

1 Thank Blue Magic
Spruce Grove, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

This was my 3rd time at Painters, first 2 were with my fishing buddy once in 2008 then 2010 and now with my wife ( 15 year anniversary) and my 2 sons ages 12 & 13. This review is a long time coming as I just signed up to write reviews for a recent Mexico vacation we took and I felt it worth wile to advise on my stays at Painters. I went to the Edmonton Sportsman show and Garth did a great job convincing my wife to have our anniverary at Painters so we went as a family. Great food and good fishing. We went the middle of August 2012 and the bite was not on but it was a great experience for all of us. My wife never came fishing but spent lot's of time at April Point in the spa. My son's and I had a great time out with the guide but as I mentioned the bite was not on. We did find the pinks in the river so we bought a few rods and slammed then in the river. We brought home 1 COHO FROM THE GUIDED TRIP AND 11 PINKS FROM THE RIVER. The river was an awesome experience also and the kids enjoyed it more that the guided trips.
Over the 3 visits I had at painters I met many guests that have been coming back for years and I now am going to be part of that group with my family. This place is good for you and your fishing buddy or you and your family.

Room Tip: All rooms were great, all close to the ammenities.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
April Point Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Quathiaski Cove
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
Long Beach Lodge Resort

Been to Painter's Lodge? Share your experiences!