“Wonderful stay”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Campbell River
Gainsborough
“Wonderful stay”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights as part of our 40th Wedding Anniversary trip to Vancouver Island. We very much enjoyed everything this superb location had to offer. Everyone was very friendly and the assistant manager went out of his way to make our stay comfortable. We were fortunate to spot 2 orcas (killer whales) whilst sunbathing at April Point, a (free) short ferry ride across the water from Painters Lodge. We also saw several bald eagles and harbour seals at both resorts. If you want to see lots of wildlife, go fishing or just relax, then this is the place to go! Hope to go back one day.

Room Tip: Definately book a room with a seaview.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joan N
ChristineFleming, General Manager at Painter's Lodge, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Dear Joan N,

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us as part of your anniversary trip. Congratulations on 40 years! It's nice that some of the local wildlife came out to celebrate with you! Hopefully we'll see you again for another anniversary one day.

Best regards,

Christine Fleming

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Prinsenbeek
Reviewed July 14, 2012

This place is very special to me. Our first visit to BC 23 years ago started here and since than we've been coming back for at least 10 times. The place is remote and quiet, the food in restaurant and Tyee bar are both very good and the fishing is excellent. Really special is what they call "cook your catch", the salmon or lingcot will be prepared in the kitchen at your tast.
On the opposite side of the inside passage is April Point located which can be reached by a free small ferry.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Arie B
Dear Arie B,

Thank you for sharing your special holidays with us. We're so appreciative to have been able to welcome you and your family all these years. Until next time - all the best!

Take care,

Toronto Canada
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I stayed four nights at Painter's and thoroughly enjoyed my visit. It was a quiet, comfortable room in the lodge, at the front, overlooking the water. The staff were friendly and helpful. There is a small outdoor pool that I used twice, when the sun was shining. I ate in the dining room there as well as at April Point, on Quadra Island. Both places had tasty meals and friendly service. I also went to the spa at April Point and was very impressed with the service. It is a lovely place to sit and enjoy the view. I look forward to returning to Painter's. There are hiking trails nearby and Campbell River has a charming museum and a maritime heritage centre.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear LBrock,

I'm so happy that you enjoyed your trip and were able to experience much of what this great area offers. Hoepfully we'll be able to welcome you again someday!

Best regards,

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Winning the "My Island" contest this past fall turned into one of those life's greatest experiences! Painter's Lodge wisely nestled in Campbell River surrounded by charms of marine and wild life is incredibly captivating. Our experience here at this resort was amazing; this resort deserves approbation and definitely our appreciation for their kindness, their desire to make guests feel everything is looked after and their attention to the resort as it truly looks beautiful!

The resort’s manager, Christine Fleming surprised us with not just one of their beautiful suites but three adjoining suites each providing a separate entrance to one huge private balcony that overlooked the ocean and April’s Point. I felt like I was in sunrise heaven standing outside those early mornings with a coffee in my hand, eagle flying across, watching such quiet undisturbed beauty. The changing of colors as night time approaches filled with laughter from guests nearby on the dining deck, catching the sight of a cruise ship in the near distance all lit up like Christmas-- was breathtaking!

The surprises continued as Christine truly spoiled us after returning from our day on a whale watching and wilderness tour with a four hour salmon fishing adventure that I loved and will treasure always… I could have stayed into the night-I was definitely captivated by the stillness out there and the anticipation battling huge salmon. The anticipation still continues as I write this.

Then yet a final surprise would follow; Sunday brunch! The choices never ending-incredible actually when you think about how often do you get to enjoy great food sitting outside overlooking the ocean with people you love surrounded by everything captivating. Thank you, Christine, and everyone at Painter’s Lodge.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main lodge, in the rounded turret overlooking the ocean and found it to be very qui...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank gabbyz
Dear gabbyz,

It was my pleasure to welcome you on your contest trip and I am so happy that you had a great time! Mother Nature co-operated and you were able to experience many parts of what make this spectacular area and our resort so special. Thanks for sharing your review and we'd love to see you again one day!

All the best from the Painter's Lodge crew!

Ottawa Canada
Reviewed July 9, 2012

If you're wondering whether you should stay for two or more nights at Painter's Lodge opt for more than less. I travelled with my husband and two sons (10yrs and 15yrs old) for two weeks on Vancouver Island and we all agreed that our two nights at Painter's Lodge were our favourite part of our trip and that we should have stayed longer. Our big room was extremely confortable, and my sons loved the pool and hot tub. The staff was extremely helpful and a special thanks to Chris for taking care of us in the dinning room. My sons have already asked me when we'll going back.

Room Tip: A trip to April's Point across the bay is worth it.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BreeOttawaCanada
Dear BreeOttawaCanada,

I'm so happy that your stay at Painter's Lodge added some special memories to your fun trip around Vancouver Island. It sounds like you were able to take advantage of some of our amenities and hopped on the complimentary water shuttle over to our sister resort, April Point Resort & Spa. We sure hope to welcome you and your family again one day!

All the best,

Fonthill, Ontario
Reviewed June 26, 2012

What a terrific spot. Fishing, Zodiac Experience, and Spa. Everything for all. The food is amazing and the location is beautiful.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Grammamom,

I love to read reviews such as yours! It sounds like you really enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for choosing Painter's Lodge and hopefully we'll see you again one day!

Auburn, Washington
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Stayed for my Birthday last week. I was so pleased with the location just north of town. Views of the water were wonderful from our room. Loved being able to take the shuttle to April Point where I had a wonderful dinner out on the deck, our server Claire was great. Enjoyed our meals in the main dining room, not so much in the lounge :(.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kathleenalaska
Dear kathleenalaska,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you celebrated a great birthday with us and were able to take advantage of the complimentary water shuttle over to April Point Resort & Spa. I'm sorry the lounge didn't meet your expectations but am happy to read that you enjoyed your meals in the dining room. Thanks for choosing to stay with us. See you next year?

Take care,

April Point Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Quathiaski Cove
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
Black Rock Oceanfront Resort

Been to Painter's Lodge? Share your experiences!