“An experience of a lifetime - wildlife tour”
Review of Painter's Lodge

Painter's Lodge
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Campbell River
St. Petersburg, Florida
“An experience of a lifetime - wildlife tour”
Reviewed November 26, 2011

My parents, husband and I took the morning wildlife tour offered through Painters Lodge. It was amazing and truly an experience of a lifetime. Not only did we see Harbor Seals, Stellar Sea Lions, Transient Orcas, bald eagles and much more, we had an incredible tour of the regions islands and natural wonder. I can really not say enough about this experience and would HIGHLY recommend this for anyone who loves the outdoors.

We had a windy morning with some rain (for parts of the tour) and it was still very comfortable. It's important to remember you are on a zodiac but it was a smooth ride for almost the full length of the tour. Our guide was fantastic and you could tell was honestly a naturalist at heart and loves his job. We were properly geared up (as it's provided with your tour cost) to make the ride even more enjoyable.

Tip: Dress warmly if going during autumn months. We had several layers and then with the gear they provided were quite warm and comfortable.

We also stayed and had lunch at the Lodge following the tour. Food was good (I had the fried fish--they gave you a choice of haddock or salmon and I tried the salmon, it was wonderful!) and service was good. All the employees were helpful and friendly.

There was a small garden near the back of the property with dozens and dozens of blooming dahlias which were beautiful.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JPell224

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed November 3, 2011

This Lodge is very nice and well priced for someone that wants a taste of the wild life outdoors. Very nice rooms with great views of the waterway and mountains beyond, great Dining, good fishing guides for the inexperienced, good deals to get you out on the water and the water taxi to Aprils Point was another nice feature.

A very good place for 2 days to a week in a wonderful area! We enjoyed it very much!

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view of Aprils Point.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bestengkc
ChristineFleming, General Manager at Painter's Lodge, responded to this review, November 9, 2011
Dear bestengkc,

Thanks for your review of our resort. We're really proud of our resort - from the rooms to the food and staff and I'm glad you had a chance to experience what we feel is the best of British Columbia. I hope to see you back again soon.

Christine Fleming,
General Manager, Painter's Lodge
Alert Bay, Canada
Reviewed November 2, 2011

We took advantage of the "North Islander Special" and WOW was it fantastic. Our room in the main lodge was peaceful and had a magnificiant view of the water. The beds were comfortable and the supper included with our stay was out of this world. The sitting area upstairs allowed for a comfortable space to read during the rainy weather. We will definetly be back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2011

My family absolutely loved Painters. Our room was gorgeous, overlooking the water with a view straight to Quadra Island. The grounds were beautiful. It was quiet and a world away from everything which is just what we were looking for. The restaurant was excellent, both quality and value and with a view to die for. While eating breakfast, we saw seals and dophins - pretty special. My fondest memory was waking early one morning and seeing a v shape flock of Canadian Geese fly past my window. I would highly recommend Painters, it has real charm and personality.

Room Tip: Choose a water view room. The views are spectacular and they make you feel like you are the only on...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Vicki S
ChristineFleming, General Manager at Painter's Lodge, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
Dear VickyS

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Painter's Lodge. The view is spectacular and wildlife in the area is always a treat. Best of luck on your travels and we hope to see you back soon.

New Westminster, Canada
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Although the room had been made up when I went to get into the bed it was obvious that the covers had only been pullled up and the sheets were stained from the previous guests. I called the front desk and received promptly fresh sheets for both beds and remade mine up. Next day our towels had been changed but the dirty sheets were still lieing on the floor, so I called again and the head of housekeeping came to collect them.

I wrote a poor review on the review card in the room and since returning home I have spoken to the Front Desk Manager and the Head of Operations who promised to get back to me but I have heard nothing and a week has passed.

Naturally when I wear my Painters Lodge jacket people ask me about my stay there but it is hard to give a nuteral answer

We also found that the Pub food was very average and the server had an unpleasant attitude but there were a couple of employees obviously doing their very best

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jacky H
ChristineFleming, General Manager at Painter's Lodge, responded to this review, October 6, 2011
Dear JackyH

When we spoke on the phone after you returned home I apologized for what had happened and told you how embarrassed I was that something like this would occur. You told me that the Front Desk staff and my Executive Housekeeper had dealt with the situation well and acted immediately upon your call.

After reading your posting, I am somewhat confused. I have followed up with my Front Desk Manager and in the conversations you had with him as well as myself and at no time did either of us tell you that we would get back to you. We didn’t think there was a reason to. I sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding.

I would have liked to have had an opportunity to meet with you when you were here to discuss your concerns. We strive to exceed guest expectations in all areas of our resort. I am sorry we were not able to meet yours. If you want to discuss this matter further, please feel free to give me a call at the resort.

Longfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Slightly disappointing in that the room size wasn't great but two decent beds overlooking the Campbell River where you can watch whales, seals and other wildlife without venturing out!
Restaurant was very good with excellent quality food and good sevice.

Room Tip: ocean view in main building
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear KG-7,

Thanks for your comments on Painter's Lodge. I'm sorry that you didn't like the size of your room, but happy that you enjoyed the beds and of course the view. Seals and marine birds are a common site, and we did see whales and dolphins on a number of occassions throughout the year, so I'm glad you enjoyed your experience.

We are also very proud of our chef and kitchen team and are constantly trying to improve our service delivery and presentation. I'm glad you enjoye your meal in the dining room. I hope to see you again soon.

Courtenay, Canada
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Overall, the Painter's Lodge was a great stay. It's a short drive from where we live in Courtney (45min away). We leave the kids with a sitter and pay only $140 for a wonderful dinner (for 2), a hot tub, a swim, and a night away. We take a relaxing walk along the dock in the morning and head home. Just a great deal..:)

Room Tip: We would request the top floor for next stay (away form the stairs). As I am a light sleeper...Our f...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LoveBCfamily
ChristineFleming, General Manager at Painter's Lodge, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Dear LoveBCfamily,

Thanks for the great feedback on the resort. I'm glad you enjoyed your quick getaway to Painter's Lodge. I hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Campbell River
April Point Resort & Spa
April Point Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Quathiaski Cove
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa

Been to Painter's Lodge? Share your experiences!