“What a Journey!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aboriginal Journeys Wildlife and Adventure Tours

Aboriginal Journeys Wildlife and Adventure Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: A locally and family owned tour company located in Campbell River, British Columbia. See Killer Whales, Dolphins, Eagles, Black Bears and other Marine Wildlife in their natural environment on our Marine Wildlife and Whale Watching Journeys. In late summer and early fall we offer Grizzly Bear Journeys. On our Grizzly Bear Journey in Campbell River, we travel aboard our high-speed, covered vessel to one of our mainland inlets in search of Grizzly Bears. You will see pristine river valleys which are home to these magnificent animals. Upon arrival we will board a tour bus and drive to specially designed bear viewing platform, which is situated along the river and ideal for viewing the mighty grizzlies. Here you’ll have the opportunity to witness firsthand the autumn ritual of bears feasting on spawning salmon in Canada´s true wilderness. Observation platforms offer great views and security so you can have a look into the lives of these magnificent creatures in their natural habitat. Travel through some of the worlds strongest Ocean Rapids and learn a little about the local First Nations history and culture as well. Enjoy breathtaking Nature viewing boat tours throughout the Discovery Passage, Johnstone Straits and Mainland Inlet areas. We have a 27 foot covered vessel with a open viewing deck and onboard washroom and heater. Our experienced and locally born Transport Canada certified guides have a minimum 35 years experience working and traveling within these waters. We look forward in creating long lasting memories for you and your families. Our floating office is located at the Discovery Harbour Marina (G Dock)in Campbell River. Please use the South ramp. "A Spectacular Adventure Awaits!" CAMPBELL RIVER's longest running Whale Watching and Grizzly Bear tour company. Established in 2000.
Orange, Australia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“What a Journey!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We had the very great pleasure of joining Gary for a Grizzly viewing tour on the 15th of September 2012. Of course, we did not know what to expect.
Well, we certainly were not disappointed. It was a beautiful early fall morning when we set out from Campbell River and Gary is a consummate, pro tour guide. We had a great experience going through the whirlpools in the narrows up Johnstone Straight and around the story of the tragic explosion of Ripple Rock in the Seymour Narrows.
Gary stays in contact with other operators and friends throughout the day, and one of those guided us to a great encounter with a school of about 2-300 Pacific White Sided Dolphins. Already the tour had jumped outside the square.
The cruise up through the Islands and into Bute inlet is an epic experience.
At the Orford River bear viewing area we were lucky to see a female and her Cub catching salmon and feeding, a large male bear and a solitary juvenile female chasing salmon. The photos alone were worth the cost of the entire trip.
On the return to Campbell River we made another diversion to encounter a pod of transient Orca, just amazing, Gary went out of his way to ensure that our day was incredibly fulfilling.
The two local lads at Orford River, who's names now escape me I am ashamed to say, were wonderful, friendly and welcoming to us all on the day. Indeed it was just great fun.

Gary has close family ties with the traditional owners of the lands and If you are in Campbell River and want a more intimate small group tour by someone who truly knows how to deliver a memorable experience then you can not go past Aboriginal Journeys.
As a photographer I have already slotted in my return for later in the fall in 2013 to get the colours of the turning trees.
I can't wait.
Do yourself a favour and go to Aboriginal Journey's first if you want

3 Thank Steve L

Midhurst, UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great trip, friendly knowledgeable guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

My wife and I plus two friends from UK took a trip with Garry from Aboriginal Journeys whilst on a three week tour of Canada back in September 12. We had a great day seeing grizzlies, orcas, humpback, dolphins and bald eagles. Glad we took Aboriginal Journeys as locally based company with great local guide, Garry, who gave us lots of information. We had a full day and were taken on on great journey through the islands to view maximum wildlife. All in all a day not to miss whilst in the area. Thoroughly enjoyable.

3 Thank linchard
Chicago, Illinois, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Incredible Guide Offers Knowledge & Friendship”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

My boyfriend and I found cheap flights to Vancouver from Chicago last June, the early whale watching season. We were eager to find a guided tour that would allow us to not only see marine wildlife, but would educate us about some of the most spectacular creatures I have grown so fond of. We found Aboriginal Journeys through Trip Advisor, and because of all the organic, genuine reviews, we called Garry.

Garry was incredibly sincere about making our experience worth the trip. He has positive energy, absolutely loves his job, and respects wildlife preservation. He has a strong fishing background is proud of his culture and local history. Tons to learn!

His boat has plenty of space in the rear to walk out and take great photos. We saw transient orcas, and I caught a great photo, among many others, of a mama and her calf.

The experience was incredible, and I recommend Aboriginal Journeys to all my family and friends. Garry has become a great friend, and I love being updated with his amazing photos on Facebook every week. I can't wait to go back!

Visited June 2012
4 Thank Natalie R
Atascadero, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Educated & Friendly Guide, Great Trip, Amazing Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

My wife and I went on the Grizzly Bear trip with Garry fro Aboriginal Journeys. We traveled from the central coast of California, and were really excited for a chance to see wild bears in their natural habitat. Most bear expedition trips were not accepting reservations until mid-Sept, but Aboriginal Journeys was, which was great since our real purpose of going to B.C. was to see the wild bears. We knew that we might not come across any since it was early in the season, but Garry knew all the right places to go, and was in radio contact with a variety of other bear guides and local tribes to make sure he found us a bear. And you know what, he found us an amazing bear! I took pictures of a beautiful 5 year old grizzly for about an hour in a beautiful backdrop. We were very close from boat to shore - probably about 30-40 feet away from her. This was a trip of a lifetime, and we are so glad we choose Aboriginal Journeys and had Garry as a guide. Garry, thank you so much for the amazing trip. I definitely feel like I can check that one off my list...not saying that we won't be back though. Hope to visit again soon!

Visited August 2012
2 Thank LionBear08
Nanaimo,B.C.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Lifetime Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

We rarely get a chance to take a vacation, so "meeting" Garry via Facebook and looking at what his tours offered sounded like the perfect day getaway! I was amazed first off at the landscape we were taken through on the way to Orford Bay up Bute Inlet. Stunning mountains and glaciers, and the water's color was just incredible.
The day's weather could not have been better, sun came shining through for the entire Grizzly Bear watching event.We were greeted by Wilson, the driver of our bus on the way to the Towers, and he and the staff were very welcoming.
Seeing the first grizzly bear on the river was something I won't forget. We have black bears where we live, but a grizzly is another beast altogether.When we reached the tower that we were to spend the day at, the amount of bears that visited the area was outstanding.The rivers were so full of salmon, fishing for the bears was easy and plentiful. This gave us opportunities to really see them up close so to speak.Two big gals ambled up about 30 feet away from where we stood, taking their time in the river, ambling through the tributary rivers to the Orford
River, glacier green in color.
The first time I saw the grizzy catch the fish and bring it to shore was fascinating to watch. No hurrying to gobble the food, as you could literally see all the fish coming through the water. Across and up the river we also saw two sets of cubs, the first female and two brown cubs, the second set with almost blonde colored cubs.
On the way back to the boat, we stopped for the last look, hopeful to see that one more bear. Well, we did! Not only two solitary bears, but also the female and two cubs! That was the best way to cap the tour.They treated us to a long last look. In total, Garry counted 16 bear we saw that day!
The trip back was interesting as well.Garry is well versed in the lay of the land, so it was nice to learn about where we were travelling through. Seymour Narrows gave us a little tease with the eddy that can come to a boil at certain times.
We will book again next year for sure. You cannot beat being a few hours away from some of the most breathtaking vistas, grizzly bears , orcas,dolphins, porpoises, and eagles. Thanks to Garry,it was a visually excellent experience.

2 Thank thevortex