“The Grotto was well worth it”
Review of Union Street Grill

Union Street Grill
Ranked #12 of 149 Restaurants in Courtenay
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Visited on a whim vacationing in the area. Quite please that we stopped here. Food and drinks were fantastic. Amazed at the extent of the GF menu for our youngest.
Ordered was the Thai shrimp salad, pork gyro with chili -excellent- a breakie burrito and a GF Mac and cheese. Really impressed with the Mac and cheese and how flavourful and great texture the GF product is. My daughter and wife tried the organic spritzer to rave reviews.
The grotto had enough amenities to keep the kids busy and the parents relaxed. Great place to eat

MarkandDanielle_11, Owner at Union Street Grill, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Thank you for the great review!! Our kid's area has become quite an attraction. (We're happy with the food too :) !!

Reviewed July 20, 2013

As we arrived late in the day, the restaurant was relatively quiet, so we got great service. Food was good, at a very affordable price. And we can definitely suggest the chocolate torte.

MarkandDanielle_11, Owner at Union Street Grill, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Thank you for your review!! We really appreciate it!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Ordered take out from here to take back to our hotel. I had the Sausage Sicilian pasta - was DELICIOUS! We also had the Focaccia Bake as an appetizer. While it was good, not sure it was worth the $6. I would definitely come back to this restaurant again next time I find myself in Courtenay. The food seems fresh and inspired - it probably looks a lot nicer on a real plate when eaten in the restaurant too.

MarkandDanielle_11, Owner at Union Street Grill, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thanks for the great review!

Reviewed May 31, 2013

We ate here last fall for the first time and were blown away. So we came back. Glad we did. First time I had the ribs and was very tempted to try again. I risked another choice and was rewarded with a really tasty pasta. Second time win. Yay.

The menu is super local and very specific on where stuff comes from. That is awesome to see a local restaurant choosing things from farms down the road. Even better when they make 'em taste so great.

Wine and drink prices are quite reasonable. Entree prices aren't cheap but I felt very worth the price. We will come back and try yet more things.

Service was awesome. Attentive but not in your face, very knowledgeable about what was in each dish and where it came from. This is a small place that focuses on being local. Does it well. Great job indeed.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We visited for our first time for lunch. The building was empty except for us (and a few stragglers as we were leaving).

The ordering process was confusing, and took longer than it should.

I ate here with my Fiance, and we both had separate bad experiences.

I ordered the Walnut Mushroom Tostado with avocado and bacon, with "screamins" (spicy french fries) their specialty soda (blackberry). My Fiance got the Tuna Burger with a Seafood Curry Dill Soup, along with their homemade Iced Tea.

My soda had an aftertaste of perfume, and had too much syrup (my Fiance choked after drinking it). He really enjoyed his Iced Tea.

His soup was a vegetable stock with veggies in it (carrots and celery) with soggy bits of bread in it. He had one bite and didn't finish it. Remember this was a Seafood Curry Dill soup. There was NO seafood in it at all, NO curry taste, and I looked carefully, NO dill. I couldn't even eat it. My Fiance even had to double check that he got the right soup, and they said it was....

His Tuna Burger was overcoked, and the taste of Wasabi was so overpowering you couldn't taste the rest of the burger, to the point of where he said it was disgusting. He was also disappointed in the half avocado in the sandwich (usually avocado is used sparingly....).

My tostado was fairly good - Other versions that I've had in the past included two shells to mimic a hamburger, and this one was only used as a base. The burger was dry and needed more sauce. Also with the huge amounts of avocado... I ordered the fries, which were completely soggy. I didn't eat them, nor did my (starving) fiance.

The first thing that was said after we left the restaurant was "McDonalds, or Wendys?" because we were BOTH still hungry. That was a $40.00 lunch that was literally a complete waste - we will never return here - there was no pride in the making of this food.

MarkandDanielle_11, Owner at Union Street Grill, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Hi Ashley. I'm really sorry you and your fiance had a bad experience here at our restaurant. Did you mention to the server when she quality checked how you felt? You described it as "disgusting". We could have corrected the situation. We've sell more Walnut Burgers and Tostadas than you could imagine, and have great revues. We certainly don't like hearing that it was less than great. The soda is a natural soda made locally and there is no syrup in it, but there is a floral taste with it. Again, I'm sorry you hated it.