“Local food, local people..great times!”
Review of Union Street Grill

Union Street Grill
Ranked #13 of 142 Restaurants in Courtenay
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Comox, Canada
“Local food, local people..great times!”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

For years, Union Street Grill was my go-to spot for lunch. Now that I work in a different town, I mostly go for dinner. The service is always good, friendly, efficient and fast. The food is excellent and has a great local flavour. I'd highly recommend Union Street.

• Visited March 2013

Courtenay, Canada
“Food and service excellent”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We eat here often and it has always been superb. Always fresh and tasty. The service is great. Staff is friendly and the music is always good. Save room for dessert!

• Visited February 2013
MarkandDanielle_11, Owner at Union Street Grill, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Thanks for coming to Union Street. Danielle and I have always said that if we are spending our days here we want the atmosphere to be a good, positive one. So thanks again for this!
Black Creek, Canada
“Gluten-Free at the Union!”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Gluten-free diners commonly need to avoid deep-fried foods, but at the Union Street grill they have a dedicated gluten-free deep fryer! French fries, yam fries, and my favourite of all, Schooner Squid, are all present on their extensive gluten-free menu. If you have missed having Calamari due to gluten restrictions, you must must must go to the Union and try their Schooner Squid!

Last week I decided to choose a new item from the gluten-free offerings and tried the BBQ Beef Rib. This was served on a tasty bed of mashed potato, yam and squash along with a lovely salad and it was exquisite! The beef was melt-in-the-mouth delicious.

They even have G-F desserts. My husband and I shared a gluten-free Pavlova, which was totally to-die-for! Comox Valley Celiacs need suffer no longer!

• Visited February 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We've found that going gluten free in a lot of our food has been not only a great niche for customers but also a much healthier way of eating for Danielle and I! ...just trying to find an alternative to our focaccia burger buns!!
“Very Little to Like”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I was really excited and so looking forward to trying the Union Street Grill. Trip Advisor ratings for several other local Courtenay/Comox restaurants had been right on the mark, and this restaurant being highly rated gave me great hope. Well forget it... I was duped by the earlier reviews.
The Union Street Grill was, at best, barely okay. The service was adequate, the atmosphere quaint...the food??? Well, the food was awful.
My wife had a bland mushroom scramble on a tostada that could have been served at any competent Denny's line cook. Her accompanying salad had a good, tangy Thai style dressing, but also included a considerable amount of dirt. Yes, the greens hadn't even been properly washed, something most cooks learn on day one.
I had a breakfast burrito which was soggy and bland. In fact, the most prominent flavor of the wrap was the pre-cooked/re-heated flavor of the sausage. Nothing like the flavor of badly kept leftover meat to set a sandwich off. I had the lobster bisque with it, and it too suffered flavor amnesia. On top of that, it lacked any creaminess, opting for an unpleasant wateriness instead.
I can't tell you how disappointing the experience was at this restaurant. Sure, most of the disappointment was from the food...but, hey, it is supposed to be ABOUT the food, isn't it?
Union Street Grill misses the mark by a mile. Go to Locals, Mad Chef or any number of other places in Courtenay before being disappointed here.

1 Thank navswo
MarkandDanielle_11, Owner at Union Street Grill, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Navswo (you didn't leave your name) We are very sorry that you didn't enjoy your food with us this past Saturday. Let me reassure you that we have spoken in length with both Serena your server that day and our cooks Bryce and Zoe who were working with me in the kitchen. Serena mentioned that you weren't very happy when she quality checked you during lunch (regarding the sand in the organic greens), however you loved your Beaufort wine and ate virtually all of the food. She was quite shocked by your vehemence with how "awful" the food was. In future, please, please let your server know (wherever you are) so that we might be able to correct things at that time to avoid such a critical review. With regards to your complaints of our food, our chorizo comes fresh from Butcher Block and we serve it so frequently that it never lasts longer than 2 days. Our greens are organic and we do wash them, but unfortunately we must have missed some of the dirt - we have corrected that issue and I apologize. Our scrambled eggs are free run eggs and we season them to order - we do not pre cook or reheat anything in our kitchen. Again, I apologize if the seasoning wasn't up to your standards. Lastly, the lobster bisque was made for Valentines weekend - I made it myself and I can't tell you how many compiments we had on it; how many came back a second time for it; and how many took extra home after their meal. But I respect the fact that you might not of liked it. I must point out that all of these could have been fixed had you spoken up during your meal. We have been a popular, community minded, family run business in Courtenay for 19 years and we take pride in what we produce. We hope you give us another chance. Sincerely, Mark and Danielle Duncan
Calgary, Canada
“visit with new friends”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We shared 2 of the appetisers, the calamari and the sweet potato fries with dip. Both were excellent and I confess, it was hard not to fight over the last few crumbs ...

Visited February 2013