“nice find”

Union Street Grill
Ranked #13 of 140 Restaurants in Courtenay
Cuisines: Canadian, American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
victoria
“nice find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

great food. reasonable prices. Seafood was well prepared service was friendly. A good place to bring the kids if you want a grown up meal sans happy meal...

Visited January 2012
1 Thank canucktravellers_9

Courtenay
“Decent food and service for price point, but a little disappointed.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

Overall the food satisfied. It was a little slow coming out and could have used some tweaking, but for $7 an app and $20 for an entree they offered great value, I say slow because we waited about 40 minutes between our app and main with over an hour from ordering to entree and a table seated behind us was served before us and left prior to us. This despite our bills being on the table and waiting for 5 - 10 min.

It seemed like they were on a skeleton crew; one server, maybe one cook and a dishwasher in the back and while they weren't busy, 6 tables or so, it was all they could handle at that time without really going under...

For the appy my girl friend and I shared, the Tataki Tuna, which was prepared well, but the fish was may a have been past it's prime or stored incorrectly as it tasted quite fishy. Not what I'd expect from a seaside town...

My entree was a nightly special, the "steak and prawns with a mixed garden green salad", and honestly it was "almost" amazing! The salad was crisp and hearty with beautiful shaved beet and carrot, there was a fantastic yam and sweet potato mash, my steak was cooked exactly how I ordered it and the prawns were prepared perfectly.

This big downer on this whole dish was the "SteakHouse" BBQ sauce the kitchen put on a supposed AAA 6oz serloin :( For a piece of meat, that definitely wasn't AAA, it was prepared well and could have been the perfect centre piece to the dish, but to have a home-style BBQ sauce on it reminiscent of something I can buy in Superstore was extremely disappointing and left me wondering what the chef was trying to hide. I couldn't help, but wonder if the beef may have been stored as poorly as the fish, but it really didn't seem that way. It was tender and nearly exactly rare as ordered, but again the generic BBQ sauce ruined the steak for me. It would have been much better to use a similar seasoning to what they used with the prawns. Just a basic garlic, salt and pepper letting the food and skill of the chef do the rest.

All in all I would certainly go back and again value for price paid it was nearly bang on. They were, however, an inch away from being amazing! I'd love to return to find they stepped up their game a little and I will make a point of it.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank james-a-hague
“Wonderful food and service, great variety :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

I have just been in to eat at the Union Street Grill with my boyfriend and it was delicious! It took us about a half hour to choose our meals because everything sounded so good, and we were not disappointed. I had this salad with pork, feta and fresh greens (which the very helpful waitress recommended), now I can't wait to go back and try something different! Great food in every variety (including gluten-free) and for great value! The waitress also told us about the Grotto next door which makes sandwiches and wraps and things, sounds good! Thanks!
P.S. Great music!

• Visited December 2011
“Really good food and great atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

For my first time at union street grill and grotto it will defiantly won't be my last time!!!
Food was amazing,Coffee's are the best.
And then there were the staff, they were just so helpful and looked after me and my girlfriend.
When I am back out here again on my travels I will be back.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous from start to finish.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2011

Walked in the door and was greeted with a warm and friendly "hello". Made me feel at home and the experience only got better the longer I was there. Great food, attentive servers and the price was right. Highly recommend.

1 Thank Islandandvalleygirl