“SLOWEST service I have EVER had ANYWHERE!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Courtenay, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“SLOWEST service I have EVER had ANYWHERE!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

I will start off by stating that this is the first ever review that I have felt compelled to write.The experience was that memorable.
I was part of a 15 person group that dined at Tulio's for a Christmas work dinner party.
Yes 15 people is a large group but we had to submit our food choices at least week in advance to them,which in itself makes the experience less fun(do you know now what you want to eat next week?).
We arrived at 7pm on a Sunday.
Got our first drink in about 15 minutes.Once that drink(a beer)was finished I sat with NOTHING to drink for about 45 minutes.Not even water.Nobody asked me if I wanted another drink,I had to ask for water.
It was AT LEAST an hour before we got any food whatsoever.Now it's 8pm and am VERY hungery.What food did we get?A run of the mill whole wheat dinner bun,the same that you can buy in bulk from the Superstore.At least the butter seemed real.Shortly thereafter came appys.
Then there was another seemingly very long wait for what they describe as "Mediterranian house salad" which is a small pile of iceberg lettuce with some feta cheese,olives and vinegar dressing.Only half the table received these and were well devoured before the other half of the table got their salads som 15 minutes later?
YAY here comes the entres!
ONE HOUR AND FOURTY MINUTES after arriving at the restaurant!Remember we pre-selected our dishes.
One person that does not eat seafood received a seafood dish.The owner(Theresa?) had to adamantly prove that this is what was previously selected for this person rather than simply correcting it.It was however corrected within 5 minutes which I must applaud them on.
The food:
for $25 it was mediocre and bland but cooked correctly
The potatoes described as "sauteed potatoes" were the same deep fried potato wedges that you would expect at a breakfast place.
Very large quantities.
The environment:
extremely dated,it does not look like this place has had ANY renos since the mid-70s.The bathroom was clean but the electric basebord heater is badly broken up(sharp and tacky) and has been for for at least 5 years(yes this is not the first time I have been there).

So in summary,one hour to bulk food dinner bun,next iceberg lettuce salad,then one hour 40 minutes to average tasting but overpriced,oversized entre.

If someone offers to buy me a meal there I will suggest going somewhere else as I am now.

• Visited December 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank screen_name123987

Canada
“Oh so tasty, wonderful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

It was mid week and I was surprised at how busy they were. My husband had veal and I had the coquille St Jacque both of use were delighted and as always the portions are very large, however there was only one left over container at the end. There were some inside changes making the interior brighter than I remember. The enterance seems less cluttered and more open but I can't recall what was there in the past.

Service was good, washrooms clean, server/owner always pleasant and prices very reasonable. It is one of the special places we go to for a good meal when we are not rushed. The décor has changed over the last few years but it has not taken away the old charm which existed back in the 1970's.

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank Bunchkin
Courtenay
“Delicious food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I go almost every anniversary (36 years now). The food is always delicious, and the service is very good. Although, the menu is limited and hasn't changed in years, the price is comparable to other similar restaurants, and we know what we like and when we go, we never leave hungry. Yes, I agree, some of the the seating is a big close and the decor is a bit outdated, but for the "regular's like us, it's a nice little restaurant to visit from time to time.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank jkeigler
Courtenay, Canada
“love good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

Tulio's is a must visit in Courtenay . Food is well prepared and plentiful. I love the steaks(tender and flavourful). The schnitzel is also a must try(lightly breaded and delicious). Also have a good selection of seafood. Give them a try, you won't leave hungry. PS my friend had their ribs , said they were deellicciousss!!!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank hazle2
Comox, Canada
“Loud and Brassy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Tables are close and it seems to be where all the people that talk very loud go to eat. The food is average and the service is good. Been 3 times and its the same every time. I won't go back.

1 Thank CampingGormet