“Awful all around!”

Dining options: Reservations
Vancouver, Canada
“Awful all around!”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were visiting from out of town and thought we'd try this out as it had a great view and we love Greek food! Our server was clueless, and asked if we wanted more water when she had just filled them up. I ordered the Steak Oscar which was advertised as being covered in scallops and prawns with a bernaise sauce. The steak came covered in a disgusting yellow sauce, with tiny scallops the size of my pinkie nail.Their "prawns" were also of the tiny variety.They were shrimp, tiny shrimp. Also on my plate were green beans slathered in butter along with bok choy. Interesting to say the least. My companions were also thoroughly disappointed with a lamb slathered in gravy and more buttery beans. Not only was the food awful but they seemed to be playing a radio hits station,this was so bad!The owner came around to see how it was and couldn't care less when we told him.No offer of an apology, drinks on the house. Nothing. We spent $200 on an absolute mess of food. Later went to a restaurant in Nanaimo called Asteras, now THAT is Greek food, and amazing atmosphere and service!

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Rachel E

Carp, Canada
“Great lunch”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I went to a farewell luncheon and was not disappointed. The food and service was great and the prices were fair. The menu offered many choices which was excellent for our large group. I had the chocolate brownie dessert which was good, but would have been better if it had been heated. Overall a good experience.

• Visited March 2013
Courtenay, Canada
“sunday lunches”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

A fine quiet place for a Sunday Lunch,nice and quiet with a Fantastic menu,They never change,always SUPER

Visited December 2012
Powell River, Canada
“Beautifully presented lunch salad!”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We have visited the Monte Christo 3 times over the past 10 years. We don't get to Vancouver Island often but when we do we like to eat at the Monte Christo as we always get a tasty meal there. We run a bed and breakfast and so are very aware of great presentation and lovely meals. I have to say that the lunch salad I was served in September was to die for. The herbs and fresh flours that adorned the plate were so fresh and the salad tasted so good also.I did not leave one little morsel. Keep up the good work chef. The staff I also have to say was very friendly, it was not busy as it was late afternoon when we arrived. On a nice warm sunny day one can eat outside, down beside the river with birds floating by, very serene.

• Visited September 2012
Courtenay, Canada
“Brown Gravy - Straight from the Jar”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

15 years ago, this place served up some tasty dishes. Now...it's sad. The view is fun on the back porch, looking at the river. But if it's the food you're after, then spend a little more on gas by traveling into town. Ordered the prime rib and it was covered (smothered) a gelatinous brown substance. I could only assume it must have been what the owners called gravy. Hideous. Scrapped this off to find the meat was veiny with fat. Now I know prime rib has some fat around it but this was FAAATTTTTY. The bread was good, as was the butter.

Just say no and don't go.

• Visited September 2012