“Great getaway”

Old House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Courtenay
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My girlfriend and I took advantage of the advertised "Old House Experience". The room was very nice, the massage was great and we got a $50 coupon towards almost any restaurant in the area. We went to Locals which was highly rated and will be moving into be the restaurant at the old house.
We didn't use the pool or hot tub, though number people did enjoy it despite the hail. There apparently is an indoor hot tub but we would've had to walk outside to get to it which was definitely a disadvantage.
The continental breakfast was pretty minimal but there are lots of restaurants in the area

Room Tip: No room service. Not really a problem for me
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,037)

Reviewed April 15, 2013

A good quality clean hotel but seriously suffers from a lack of breakfast facilities and bar. I believe that the best restaurant in town is due to relocate next door very soon which will help but they didn't plan on doing breakfast.
I had a suite at the front and I couldn't find fault with it.

Room Tip: Stay away from the bridge side.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

This was my second stay at Old House, and not my last.
I came up from Victoria for my birthday (to get out of town for a few nights).
The suites are great.
Recommend this place to anyone going to Courtenay BC.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 26, 2013

room was nice with a full kitchen. Spa was really nice and enjoyed a nice massage. they also will shuttle you to restaurants, so we were able to have a bottle of wine and some beer without worrying about driving or getting a taxi. we never went into the pool but did use the hot tub. the hotel had a time share resort feeling to it. i would stay here again

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I found this hotel to have nice rooms, very modern and clean. It was a treat to have a bedroom instead of just one big room. I liked that it had a full size fridge, stove, oven etc, would be nice if there a few days and wanted to not eat out the whole time. The liv room, dining room kitchen area is pretty small, we were fine only two people but I would't want to put 4 people in that room. The staff were all very nice and helpful. We used the spa, it was good but not great. I had a facial and explained that I did it for the neck and shoulder massage aspect before I got the treatment but only left not feeling that relaxed, my skin felt great though. The tech who did the facial was really nice, knew her stuff and lots about the products she was using but just didn't manage to put me into the relaxed state that I have experienced at other spas. I also did reflexology, that was great, I have nothing to compare it to as it was my first experience with reflexology. My partner did hot stone massage and sports massage, he said they were good but not as good as he was expecting. He felt that he had received better services elsewhere. These comments are not a reflection of the staff at the spa, they were all incredibly nice and lovely people, I just felt that the service wasn't up to the prices that we were charged. All in all it was a good stay, we also ate at Locals and Fluid while we were there and they were both amazing. The hotel pool and hot tub were great as well as the walk way behind the hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed on the street side of hotel and heard the traffic. There are two buildings, they are not...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank anna1760
Reviewed February 17, 2013

During a ski trip at Mount Washington with my boyfriend and his parents, we switched from the hotel we were at (the Travelodge in town) to the Old House because it was more spacious and there was a hot tub available in January.

The inside of the rooms are great. It was very spacious and clean. The full kitchen and table was a nice feature for us as well. It was great that the bedroom, kitchen, and living room were divided. With four of us there, it gave each of us adequate privacy without being in each other's way.

The sofa bed in the living room may have just been a sofa bed, but it was extremely comfortable for sleeping on. We had a room with a balcony directly above the pool deck, and unless you were actually standing on the balcony, no noise was heard from outside, or even neighbouring rooms.

We were skiing each day during our time there and the fireplace in the living room, as well as the fantastic hot tub and heated pool really hit the spot to help with warming up after a day in the cold. The other residents that we met, and the hotel staff, were all friendly and cheerful and it made it a great stay for all of us.

The only thing that did not live up to expectations was the "continental breakfast" which consisted of muffins and a box of oatmeal that you can make in your room. There was fruit and juice as well. There was no seating area on the main level to eat. The typical continental breakfast in the hotels I've been to includes many more options and a seating area for at least a couple of people. We were slightly disappointed with this misleading name, but it is easily fixed with many nearby restaurants.

While this hotel was more expensive than the Travelodge, I think the extra money spent was worth it for the quality of the stay. It was definitely one of the nicest hotels that I have stayed in.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Ashley E
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I have stayed here many times. First the good features:
- Location - within walking distance of shopping, dining and there is a walking trail adjacent to the property
-Rooms- very nice modern spacious rooms-staff-friendly and helpful.
However there are a few items that prevent a higher rating:
-Fitness room-is poorly equipped and equipment is not well maintained
-Noise-the hotel is very close to a metal vehicle bridge and the vehicle tires are noisy when they cross. You must keep your window closed at night to stop the noise
-Reward program-there is no hotel reward program.
Recommend you visit the cafe at the nearby airpark (airport). The airpark is a 5 minute walk and the food and staff are great. Highly recommended for breakfast or lunch!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the vehicle bridge Ask for a room on the river side
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RS99Ontario
Also consider these accommodations in or near Courtenay
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Courtenay Comox Valley SW
Coast Bastion Hotel
#2 of 18 in Nanaimo
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
The Villas at Crown Isle Resort

Been to Old House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!