“Bathroom was not clean”

Old House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Courtenay
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I am probably being generous with an average rating. Hotel came recommended by fellow salesperson, and so decided to stay here instead of the Holiday Inn Express. Nicest part of the hotel was the front desk. Looked impressive. Parking was good, as I was close to main entrance. Initial impression of the room was that it was spacious, almost too spacious as the tv screen was far away, and they really could benefit from bigger screens. Room was quiet, and it looks like they have a nice pool with jacuzzi area. Didn't use their restaurant. As a previous reviewer had mentioned the bed mattress is hard, and not too my liking (personal opinion, but if you like a soft mattress, you're not going to get it here. Also as a previous reviewer had said the rooms are too hot. I woke up in the middle of the night, and the roo. Was at 22 degrees. I had one of two options, open the door (no security), or turn on the air conditioning, which I did. Keep in mind this wasn't Summer, and in fact it was snowing last night. The biggest issue was when I used the bathroom the following morning and noticed that there was a red stain, with streaks running down the wall where the towel hanger was. The cleaning staff should have noticed this. I did inform the lady at the front desk, and she apologized and wrote my complaint down, but she didn't really seem to care, and went immediately back to being overly cheery. I did not hear back from the manager with an apology. Will go back to the Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Squirmin
There are newer reviews for Old House Hotel & Spa

Reviewed October 28, 2011

Excellent service, clean rooms, friendly staff.and especially the manager Carrie. She was very kind and took time out of her vusy day for us to thank her personally!! Highly recommend this hotel and the spa was fabulous as well. Try the couple massages. The massage therapists are very good and they even had registered massage therapists as well. We will be back next year!
Cheers,
The Bowman's

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank littlebowman
Reviewed October 25, 2011

We booked in advance and planned on using the hotel as a base for exploring the Comox Valley, based on the positive reviews.

On registering, we were not given the requested riverview room, but without explanation we were assigned to a room facing the highway link between Courtenay and Comox. We had requested a very quiet room

When we stay for more than one day we like to unpack, rather than live our of our suitcases. Guess what - no dresser. We used a couple of the small, inadequate drawers in the kitchenette. The drawer in the night table was seized, so was not of much use.

The bedside radio could not be switched to FM and the drain in the soaker tub did not function properly

When we went out for the morning we hung the sign on the door requesting that the room be made up. When we returned just after noon, it had not been made up, and when we left after we had our lunch we found a sign saying that our room would not be made up because it had not been available to housekeeping. I found the housekeeper, and she told us that the rooms where guests were checking out received priority. She did make up the room before we returned.

Some of the deficiencies seem to be typical in hotels because (a) they are not noted by housekeeping and (b) guests do not pass the information on to management.

It would be convenient if there was an indoor connection to the Old House Resaurant (not owned by the hotel) and the hotel, and if arrangements were made to bill meals to the hotel account.

I know that this is a litany of small things, but enough to make us try a different hotel the next time.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shepherd1937
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Staying at the Old House Village Resort & Spa was truely a treat. The 1 bedroom suite was spacious and comfortable with a fully equipped kitchen large bathroom with soaker tub and separate shower. My room had a balcony overlooking the river and fields beyond, a beautiful view of the Comox valley. I enjoyed returning at the end of the day to use the outside hot tub and warm pool. It was very relaxing and a treat to enjoy in the evening. Taking advantage of the Oct special 2 hours body scrub and facial was a wonderful relaxing spa experience. I will certainly return to the spa.
A few improvement opportunities, include the lack of shelf, hooks in the large bathroom. For the environment we are all encouraged to think before requesting clean towels, only problem no place to hang the towels to dry because they are usually folded on a the towel shelf when dry. The one hook has room enough for one bathrobe. Also very small vanity, need some other shelf space for the numerous paraphanalia that tends to accompany us during our travels. Also no dresser in the bedroom, one king bed with two large full closets with rail and hangers but no dresser or shelf or drawers, I needed to keep the no hanging things in my suitcase.
Over my 10 day stay I had the opportunity to speak with many staff and they were all very positive and helpful. This includes the front desk staff, housekeeping and I think maintenance and security type staff.

Yes I would recommend the Old House Village Resort and Spa and will definitely return.

Room Tip: ask for room away from the bridge. There is a metal grate on the bridge which you will hear all nig...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Victoriatraveller01
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Rooms and suites are tended to with detail. Bed was very comfortable, the kitchen at all times had a great fridge sink stove and dishes. I my self was not into cooking but loved the deep soaker tub and the quiet- luxurious understated decor. Don't hang your hat on service here- it is meant to be independent. That said staff are kind courteous and very helpful.
The restaurant every time I visited was open so glitches have been addressed. You cannot charge to your room so bring your wallet. Food is decent and bistro oriented- many folks here are retirees so they tend to dictate the menu. Service at the Old House Restaurant was fine- my server had a few tables to keep happy and did so well.
I did NOT get to the spa. Hmnn- another trip!

Room Tip: The suites across from the main house are amazing.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank starpilot1
Reviewed October 18, 2011

I went to The Old House Village Hotel on October, 14th and 15th for a girls weekend getaway and it sure was a great time had by all.

We called ahead and asked if we could get an early check in and asked if there was any chance of getting our regular room changed to a one bedroom suite since we had 5 in our group!!
They were so accomodating with us, upgraded the room for free!! Also they allowed us to check in at 1pm so we could take in the HEATED outdoor pool and hot tub.

We arrived and they gave us an inflatable bed for the extra guest as well as 5 fluffy white robes for the pool!
The room is fully equipped with a full size fridge and stove and all the dishes required including, missing bowls, serving utensils and more imprtant a fancy wine bottle opener.
The counters are granite and the dining room table seats 4 but the room is equipped with 5 leather chairs. They have a sofa bed couch and side chair with ottoman.

The bedroom has a huge king size bed that easily three of us could have slept in. The shower is seperate from the bath tub and there was counterspace to hold make ub bags and toiletries.

The staff asked how our stay was every time we walked by them.
The best time was being able to enjoy the pool all afternoon until 7pm on the Friday and then again all afternoon until 9pm on Saturday--it was awesome, warm, clean and a good size for all 5 of us to enjoy!

I would stay here over any other hotel in the area and have stayed in others. By far the best price and value.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 14, 2011

My husband and I just took advantage of an offer The Old House put on this last Thanksgiving weekend for a couple night stay combined with a Grizzly Bear watching tour with Aboriginal Journeys out of Campbell River. This combo was amazing. We love the Old House rooms, the staff are so friendly and accomodating, the food delicious at the restaurant, the hot tub soothing and the massages tres relazing at the Oh Spa. This was our second weekend stay at the Old House, and as a previous reviewer mentioned, we were amazed that one of the ladies at reception remembered us from our stay in August! We had some scuba gear that we needed to store after a 3 day stay and while going on a short 3 -day backpack in Strathcona Park and the folks at Old House found a spot to store our gear, giving us piece of mind. Thanks for going the extra mile!

This time around the service was just as exceptional with the front desk staff co-ordinating our grizzly watching excursion with Garry of Aboriginal Journies, asking them all the questions we had and providing us with instructions of how to get to their office. The day out was spectacular from top to bottom! We had lovely weather - a break between two rain/storm systems - the covered boat ride was comfortable and warm and Garry's knowledge of the local waters was second to none. He would tell us about all the islands, some local and natural history, stories about residents and local issues, and answer any questions we had as we cruised over to Bute Inlet. The beauty of the area is tremendous, with fall colours on shore and snow capped peaks. We were blessed with sighting 7 or 8 grizzlies, including a mom and her 1 1/2 year old cub, who fished in the stream and lounged in the sun nearby one of the viewing towers, on and off most of the afternoon! It was an honour to be in the presence of these gorgeous animals in their home. To top it off we saw seals, eagles, sea lions, a humpback whale and 3 transient Orca whales on the trip to and from the inlet. Garry kept in touch by radio with other whale watching tours in the area to find out about local sightings and we were the beneficiaries of that co-operation! I would highly recommend this tour and hope that Old House offers it again in years to come. Either through Old House or on your own this is a once in a lifetime experience that you must not miss. We would go again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peggyhiking
Also consider these accommodations in or near Courtenay
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Courtenay Comox Valley SW
Best Western The Westerly Hotel
Coast Bastion Hotel
Coast Bastion Hotel
#1 of 18 in Nanaimo
Port Augusta Inn and Suites
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
The Villas at Crown Isle Resort

Been to Old House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!