“Wildlife c/o The Old House” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Old House Hotel & Spa

Old House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Courtenay
Victoria, Canada
“Wildlife c/o The Old House”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2011

My husband and I just took advantage of an offer The Old House put on this last Thanksgiving weekend for a couple night stay combined with a Grizzly Bear watching tour with Aboriginal Journeys out of Campbell River. This combo was amazing. We love the Old House rooms, the staff are so friendly and accomodating, the food delicious at the restaurant, the hot tub soothing and the massages tres relazing at the Oh Spa. This was our second weekend stay at the Old House, and as a previous reviewer mentioned, we were amazed that one of the ladies at reception remembered us from our stay in August! We had some scuba gear that we needed to store after a 3 day stay and while going on a short 3 -day backpack in Strathcona Park and the folks at Old House found a spot to store our gear, giving us piece of mind. Thanks for going the extra mile!

This time around the service was just as exceptional with the front desk staff co-ordinating our grizzly watching excursion with Garry of Aboriginal Journies, asking them all the questions we had and providing us with instructions of how to get to their office. The day out was spectacular from top to bottom! We had lovely weather - a break between two rain/storm systems - the covered boat ride was comfortable and warm and Garry's knowledge of the local waters was second to none. He would tell us about all the islands, some local and natural history, stories about residents and local issues, and answer any questions we had as we cruised over to Bute Inlet. The beauty of the area is tremendous, with fall colours on shore and snow capped peaks. We were blessed with sighting 7 or 8 grizzlies, including a mom and her 1 1/2 year old cub, who fished in the stream and lounged in the sun nearby one of the viewing towers, on and off most of the afternoon! It was an honour to be in the presence of these gorgeous animals in their home. To top it off we saw seals, eagles, sea lions, a humpback whale and 3 transient Orca whales on the trip to and from the inlet. Garry kept in touch by radio with other whale watching tours in the area to find out about local sightings and we were the beneficiaries of that co-operation! I would highly recommend this tour and hope that Old House offers it again in years to come. Either through Old House or on your own this is a once in a lifetime experience that you must not miss. We would go again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peggyhiking

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Nanoose Bay, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2011

Just had to tell you my last stay( the night of the Mayor’s Tournament) @ the Old House was wonderful as usual.
Vanessa is so great—her service, her smile and her efficiency—she even remembered me from prior visits which impressed me !
Thank you !

Karen Hanson
RKH Promotional Products
www.rkhpromotionalproducts.com

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Sooke, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2011

My review is most likely skewed for the simple fact I had not seen my daughter for over a year, and that was for to say goodbye to her grandfather who died the day after she left.
Back to the hotel, I found out that my daughter had asked for a different room, which seemed to be no trouble at all, yeah! We had a nice view of the path that travels quite a distance into Courtenay, the body of water between Comox and Courtenay, and the Old House Restaurant. Of course, when getting together after so long we did not spend much time looking at the view - but it was nice to know it was there.
Coffee and tea is available in the lobby, with creamers, I hate powdered pretend cream. We made coffee in the room, perfect size pot for two cups; there was a small kitchenette fully supplied with dishes etc. We did not do the dishes we used - not sure if it was expected as there was not a notice, besides this was not a time for drudgery. If they wanted that done it should have been posted.
comfortable, clean, above average, and quiet. Even the pool and hot tub below were not too noisy. Overall I would say this was for a one night stay. Check out was far too early, although 10:00AM seems to be normal these days - we managed to get it extended to noon.

Room Tip: If you do not like the room, preferably before using anything, ask to switch.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
vicbc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

my partner and i stayed here on the sept. long weekend. had the one bedroom suite-full
kitchen. right from the booking-jill-awesome-very friendly, to the front desk staff-the place
is great. we checked in early-no problem. the suite was perfect-the right size and very
cozy. we even left a dvd in the player after we left, and they arranged to take it back to the
place we rented it from. very clean, great grounds, pool. the gym is in the basement with
no windows-that really is a shame-with the great view of river-that would be our only
disappointment in the place. we will definatly be back!!

Room Tip: rooms in the part on the furthest side away from the bridge-would hear less road traffic over metal...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

Stayed at the Old House for an amazing weekend! Our upgraded suite was lovely overlooking the beaytiful grounds. We headed to the spa for massages which was one of the best massages I have ever had. Dinner at the restaurant as well as breakfast were fantastic! Not a bad thing to say.......a perfect weekend.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank luv2travel0909
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

The front desk staff was so helpful they had us checked in and on our way in no time. We had no idea what to expect from a resort in Courtenay, to our delight the rooms were very modern, the kitchen had everything we could possibly want. The bedroom was very welcoming and comfortable. This will deffinetley be our spot during the ski season, it is 15 minutes at the most from Mt.Washington. The Spa was breath taking, the atmosphere they have created their needs to be experienced first hand. We would strongly suggest anyone who is heading up to the mountain or just looking for a getaway check this place out.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

We stayed for 8 nights and were disappointed by the inconsistent service. The front desk staff ranged from excellent to hostile depending on the day.
Even though they knew there were 5 of us staying in the room, there were only 2 sets of towels. I called to request extra towels and they never arrived.
The housekeeping staff were all over the map. On the first day they went completely overboard - instead of just cleaning the room, they went through our things and moved our stuff all over the room, putting it into cabinets and drawers instead of leaving it where we had placed it. But after that they often wouldn't even remember to replace the toilet paper or kleenex.
The staff were very helpful with trying to solve a problem with the wireless but it still took about 5 days before I had reasonably reliable wireless in the room.
The kitchen is large and well-stocked and a huge help for a long stay, but if you don't need it there are other good hotels in town. The Holiday Inn is nice with very friendly staff. We also visited family in a new room at the Best Western and we were blown away with how nice the room was.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
OHMGR, General Manager at Old House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 2, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as this will assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis.

I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations and to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

My front desk staff are all very aware that I will make myself available to any of our guests who wish to speak with me regarding their experience good or not so good. I am open to all feedback and encourage our staff to offer my contact information. I believe you were given my card and therefore I am disappointed that during the 8 days of your stay with us that I did not receive a telephone call or email advising me of your dissatisfaction. I am confident that any issues you were having could have been rectified immediately.

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 250 703-0980.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Courtenay
Coast Bastion Hotel
Fairfield
Abigail's Hotel
Abigail's Hotel
#1 of 52 in Victoria

Been to Old House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!