“Decent Indian Food but ....”

Manvirros Indian Grill
Ranked #8 of 154 Restaurants in Courtenay
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 14, 2013

They serve decent Indian Food .Enjoyed their naan bread and curries .They however seem to be afraid of spices and ask you a few times before they prepare your food . They need to organize and improve their service ..it's quite disorganized even if they are busy with a few tables ..
Overall an average to good experience ..

Reviewed August 11, 2013

This was our 2nd trip to Manvirros. We had two pint glasses of pale ale. Started with a bowl of the delicious mulligatawny soup - nice and hot from the stove and well spiced. My husband was happy with the daily special of curried goat. It had lots of meat and sauce. I ordered tikka masala chicken, medium heat, again plenty of chicken and sauce. Both meals came with green pea studded rice and both were very tasty. I ordered a side of vegetables and did not get the extra dish. When we asked about it, the waiter said the vegetables were in the curry. So for an extra $2 you get a couple of pieces of mushroom and a bit of green onion. I'll pass on the side of vegetables next time, although in fairness, they didn't charge us for the vegetables. The naan that came with the curried goat was excellent. I think that the soup and naan would be nice, light lunch to consider next time.
As mentioned by many others, the service is quite queer. All of the servers are pleasant, though, but we did have 3 or 4 different people delivering things to the table, and the manager checked on our meal once or twice. Never did see the young woman who took our order.
Oh, yes... they tried to deliver our main dishes while I was only half way through the soup, so I asked them to bring the food back after the soup was done, otherwise the mains would be cold. They could also consider delaying delivery of the nicely warmed dinner plates until the mains are ready, so that the plate would still be warm. I don't mind a relaxed pace, but the delivery of the meals should be better timed. I am realizing that maybe a lot of us don't understand much about Indian social customs when dining. Hmmm, how do we fix that?

We think the food is fairly priced, in spite of the lack of offering vegetables as part of the dishes. I really don't want to have to order another dish just to get a some veggies in me. But if that's the Indian way, so be it. It all tasted delicious!

I'm hope they can put a full package together eventually.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

I love Indian food and became a keener for it while travel nursing in Nepal. The chicken spinach was brilliant. My 6 year old had the appi plate and really loved the chicken. My man had the tandori chicken and liked it a lot though felt it was a bit salty. The yogurt lassi was thick and luxurious. Chi tea was bland oddly.
It was a delight to eat with my hands using the excellent tasting naan bread.
We appreciate and expect the slow pace of India style restaurants.
We did see some grumpy pants customers wanting rush rush service which is just not India!
Relax and enjoy the company of your friends and family.
Can't wait to wear my sari and eat out at Manvirro's again.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have been waiting for an Indian food restaurant to pop up in the valley. I wanted good authentic Indian food and I got it. I was happy that this was not just another hippy reinterpretation of Indian food. I have been many times and the food is always well portioned and tasty. The Naan bread is wonderful and very large. Depending on the day the wait staff may be overattentive or under but I won't hold that against them.

1  Thank Carnytravels
Reviewed July 16, 2013

food was very very bland ....the kitchen doesnt seem to know the subtlety of indian herbs and spices..cumin alone just isnt enough !!...perhaps a bit of seasoning in the form of salt and pepper would be helpful too..The staff gave the impression that they thought customers knew nothing about east indian cuisine and treated them so...in this day and age ..a dangerous presumption..
I also thought this establishment was way over priced and certainly not good value..
All round verdict..very mediocre at best..

2  Thank highlanderx