“Disappointing Night Out”

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Courtenay, British Columbia
“Disappointing Night Out”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

An evening out with the ladies................ ordered a med well steak and it was undercooked by a mile............... small order of veggies (beets, carrots and zucchini) with a baked potato.......... waited some time for the meal to be served.......Over priced for what you get.................Will not be returning anytime soon.........

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank allhth

Grand Cayman
“LOVELY MEAL”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We were visitors to the area and were looking for a nice meal. We happened upon this restaurant and decided to give it a try.

Our waiter was attentive and, while the appies took a little while, we weren't in a hurry and our waiter kept our drinks topped up and was there to answer any questions we had. The appies were disappointing (the scallops were overwhelmed by the bacon - although nicely cooked - and the wings were overcooked), the mains made up for them.

Two of us had steaks, one had the prime rib and the other had the ravioli. Everyone enjoyed their meals. The steaks were cooked perfectly to order and everyone else said the meals were delicious! I thought that the steaks were over spiced with pepper but it wasn't over the top. If I went back, though, I'd ask them to go easy on the spice. I thought that the ravioli looked a little sparse but my friend said she had enough food.

Two people had a glass of white wine each and the other two shared a medium priced red. The waiter knew his wines and decanted the red wine - knowing it needed air before we could enjoy it properly. I was impressed that I didn't have to say anything.

All in all, a win. We would go back if we are back in Courtenay again.

• Visited February 2014
“If you want a steak go to The Keg”
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

A number of friends and colleagues had provided informal poor to average reviews. It was time to finally try for ourselves having already enjoyed great value restaurants such as Locals, Avenue and Atlas. Prime is a mere pretender amongst these established Valley favourites.

The service was average. We needed to ask for water. The appies arrived after 30 minutes, the mains as I took my last bite of my appie. I had the scallops with bacon. 6 half-ar*ed scallops heavily laced with fatty bacon. For $11. Or you could have 6 shrimps with sauce for a similar price.

The main. A New Yorker for nearly $30. Tasted mainly of peppercorns. Chewy and fatty. Consistently better steaks at The Keg by a country mile.

There's a good restaurant in here somewhere, the environment is nice, the servers are pleasant, but management and the kitchen are letting them down. Get a chef that cares and management that can lead and they can jump up from #11 place in Courtenay restaurants.

3 Thank Villatravel
Comox, British Columbia, Canada
“Just not good enough ”
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

Reports from friends were not encouraging

But - we decided to try it tonight - and was extremely disappointed from the thin straws that discouraged the fluid to enter my mouth, to the waitress pointing out we had an accent, we are from the uk, been in the valley 3 yrs now to the tasteless, long awaited food. Poor atmosphere, uninterested staff, tasteless food, small quantities, bad music - plain sad
Management up your game it just does not working - we are professional people who dine out a lot but will be returning to " locals" and the double a's

1 Thank Emma T
Courtenay, Canada
“Great Food! Great Service!”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Staff party - Service people were very nice. No wait for food. Tasty Prime Rib roast. Very nice Onion soup as a starter. We are headed back for another staff event.

• Visited December 2013