“Fantastic”

Vancouver Island, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

The building was amazing and the patio just as wonderful. I didn't have a coat but the heated floor kept me warm enough to remain outside as the sun went down. Just to let you know we are "foodies" so our expectations are high. We started out with cocktails from the lounge - very good, not too sweet and made with quality mixers. Our first course was crab cakes, tuna tataki, and the stone bread. The crab cakes were large and probably some of the best I have had. The tuna tataki was seared perfectly, ponzu was flavorful and the kim chi was a nice touch. The bread was devine.

Second course consisted of lamb lollipops, perfectly seasoned and grilled to medium rare and the demi glaze with fig and cherries was extremely good; the "Darmer's Daughter" which was cast iron grilled Chicken, and House Elk Sausage with artichoke hearts, capers and white wine butter - Very, very good; last were the coconut prawns. The prawns looked great but found them too sweet and slightly over-cooked which you wouldn't have known from the lightly golden color.

We finished with the creme brule and chocolate cake. The serving sizes were generous and the creme brule was probably the best I have had. The chocolate cake was good also.

The wine menu was vast and we chose a flight of white and red to pair with the food. So nice to have some choices.

The prices are what we expected and less than what you would pay in Vancouver. I see people complain about the pricing but you are paying for the atmosphere, service, and food that is made from scratch and not from a box. By the way, service was prompt and our server was also excellent.

Side note - if you want to help a restaurant serve you at their best, MAKE A RESERVATION so they can staff appropriately.

1 Thank IslandGirl1966011

comox valley, bc
“Great Crab Cakes”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

My husband wanted to give this place a try for dinner on a monday night. The crab cakes were delicious and I could've eaten 10 more. My ravioli dish was alright, certainly not homemade, my husband enjoyed his steak but the mashed potatoes needn't have that out of the "ice-cream scoop" look to them. We were lucky to have a pleasant, mature, experienced server who I'm sure, contributed to making this a decent dining experience for us. We had nothing to complain about but nothing to rave about either. We'll try it again.

Comox
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

I was a little hesitant at going to this chophouse which is newly opened in Courtenay. Boy am I ever glad I did. Their atmosphere is gorgeous, service outstanding and the food tops it all off. Very many choices on the menu, great portions and your steak is cooked to absolute perfection. Unfortunately they aren't open until 4:30. I would go their for lunch during the week if they were open or cocktails on a Saturday afternoon with friends. Hopefully they will change their hours. Amazing. Must try for everyone.

alberta!
“Think "KEG"”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Beautiful new restaurant - decor is well done, really nice patio area, restaurant is well laid out and comfortable. Service was friendly. but it took quite a while for the food to arrive. Meals were a decent size, and visually appealing. I had the Halibut - tasty, but the portion size of fish was on the small side. Partner had the "Baseball" steak - perfectly cooked, but again there could have been more in the way of sides.
We also had dessert - cheesecake, which was pretty good, and a chocolate cake, not too bad, could have been moister - and IT was huge!
All in all a pleasant evening, with good food.
If you enjoy the "Keg" - I think you'll be at home here, they even serve complimentary sour dough bread. Menu prices seem to be similar, I thought maybe a bit high given the portion size.