“a little bland by my standards”

Flying Canoe West Coast Pub
Ranked #41 of 149 Restaurants in Courtenay
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I really like the service of the 'Canoe' and perhaps it is mainly supposed to be a pub but I was not a huge fan of the food. My friends all had the 'hamburger' which they described as being frozen store bought burgers thrown on a bun, and that is exactly what it looked like. I decided to go with the special, which was a cut of prime rib. At first bite I was really happy with the tastes, and textures. Though once I made it past the crusts of the prime rib I found that there was almost no taste. All of the flavor was on the grissle and skin and nothing past that. I cant say that I was too happy with the meal. Though I really like the restaurant decor and the overall ambince of the restaurant itself.

Managing O, Owner at Flying Canoe West Coast Pub, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Hi Cody
Thank you for all your positive remarks regarding our Flying Canoe Pub and Restaurant!
We really appreciate them. As well as your compliments we also appreciate the comments in the areas where you feel we could improve. We continue to work hard to maintain and improve on every level.
Cheers

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Nothing special about the food, the pub was convenient to the hotel in the rain. The beer selection was ok (but the attached liquor store had a much better selection).

Linda B, Duty Manager at Flying Canoe West Coast Pub, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Dear Michael M.
We appreciate your review and would like to let you know of our exciting new menu in The Flying Canoe created by our chef Andrew Stigant.
We look forward to you coming and trying out the new menu(s) - in all our Food & Beverage venues

Reviewed January 24, 2013

The Canoe is a Pub/Eatery attached to the Best Western Plus in Courtenay and fits in with the Best Western portion, but not the Plus. The pub is just slightly above average and doubles as a nightclub (not while we were there).

The service is good to better, as you would expect in a small town Up-Island. The food was OK. The Pizza ($5 on a Thursday Night) was hand made and cooked “A Fourno” but with gas not wood; wood would be in the “Plus” department. The pizza did taste good after a late afternoon/early evening Tubing Run on Mt Washington but the meat tasted like it was from the No-Name section of the grocery store and the onions (c’mon $0.75 for one at any grocery store…) was really skimpy. I must say, cheese sauce and crust were quite tasty.

The Spinach dip was run of the mill; good but not “Plus”. The Tortilla chips were fresh (nice to see) but the pita was day-old (not nice to see). We actually wanted Wings but they were out?? Really??? A Pub out of Wings???

Here is the "Plus" the server asked the drunk, rowdy, cussing 19/20 somethings next to us to leave when they got out of control. Well done to her!!

I’ll go back…When Canoes Fly (or when I stay at the BW+ again and I am too tired to try something else).

Dear Jason C.
I'm very sorry to read that we were not able to provide you with the experience you had expected and apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations.

We have just introduced an exciting new menu in The Flying Canoe Westcoast Pub , and to all of our Food & Beverage venues, created by our Executive Chef Andrew Stigant, which will give our guests more variety and enhanced dining experiences.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments and sincerely hope that you enjoyed your visit to Vancouver Island.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

I eat here everytime I stay in Courtenay and have never been let down. Friendly staff and great food will bring me back again.

Linda B, Duty Manager at Flying Canoe West Coast Pub, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2013

Dear 44 Sam
I'm so happy to hear that you come to The Flying Canoe Westcoast Pub whenever you are in Courtneay. We also agree that we've have great food and the best team! We look forward to welcome you back again soon! Warm Regards,
Linda Bigelow

Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stopped in here on our way home.
We ordered pizza and it was good but could have used a little more spice to it.
Service was great and good selection of beer.

Dear dflyboy,
It is always appreciated when one of our guests takes the time to let us know when we have met or exceeded expectations in their dining experience.