“Over par in and out”

The Villas at Crown Isle Resort
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Courtenay
Reviewed May 18, 2013

As part of a break in the Courteney/Comox area, my companion (non golfer) and I (addicted) had scheduled a two night stop at this well known golf resort as my treat to include a round of golf. Our check in, mid afternoon, was conducted most efficiently and so, following the map in our check in material we were able to drive and park at our villa overlooking hole number 1.
The villa suite was an upper level and much more spacious than we had anticipated, comprising a short hall, a full kitchen with four appliances and very well equipped, a dining area and large living room with a double sided gas fireplace and a balcony. There was a large king size bedded bedroom sharing the fireplace which also contained a jacuzzi and there was also an en-suite bathroom with a huge shower. Everything was functional and well maintained. Having unpacked and settled in we walked back to the clubhouse to explore and make arrangements for my round of golf the following morning. The golf staff were helpful and accommodating and added me to a member-guest pairing with a reasonable tee- time at 9.45 am.
By this time we were hungry so we explored the available on site food available. There is a small snack bar, The Sandwedge, beside the proshop suitable for intra-round snacks but we had higher ambitions and went to the area which combines a formal dining room overlooking the 18th green which also connects to a pub style area. Similar food is available in either spot and room service is also available in your villa from 5 to 9 pm. We elected to try the pub and were not disappointed. We had good food well presented with great friendly service at a reasonable price. Still light at this time of year we walked back to our room and after a short watch of TV retired for the night in sublime comfort.
The next morning we prepared our own breakfast after which I went to the club house to pick up a golf cart which I drove back to the villa to pick up my clubs. My companion left to explore the shops after I had loaded my golf clubs etc and I headed for the course to warm up at the very nice practice areas. It had rained quite heavily in the night, but although there was a slight drizzle the forecast was for clearing. Despite this the group I had been assigned to had cancelled so I was assigned to another pairing at 10.15 so I went and had a little extra breafast and coffee before practice. Having hit some balls and practice putts the rain had ceased but when I went to the starter I found my new par had also cancelled. Happily I was paired with a very pleasant husband/wife member pair who were good golfers and off we went and, after the odd raindrop, out came the sun for the remainder of the round. That was the only miracle of the day as my golf was somewhat erratic although I did improve on the back nine. The course is lovely, interesting and well maintained and there are tees for all level of players.
We checked out the following morning well satisfied with the golf resort experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank William D

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Came back late on our second night. Suite was colder than when we left it but went to bed anyway after covering the glass window between the bedroom and living room, as we had done the first night. Gas fireplace turned itself on in the middle of the night. Almost set fire to a Longchamp suitcase that was in the vicinity. The suitcase smoldered so much that the rooms became filled with acrid smoke, the smoke alarm sounded and fortunately we awoke. We managed to shut the fireplace off, go under the smoke and open all of the windows and doors to air out the smoke, got the suitcase outside and in chock wait for the resort security people and/or fire department to arrive. Smoke cleared but no one came despite the alarm having been full on for at least 20 minutes with the wide open doors and windows at about 05:30 in the morning. Spoke to the resort manager, Ron Waugh, the morning after. He also thought it strange that there had been no security response in the night but admitted that the cleaners have been instructed to turn down the suite temperature during the guest's absence. This was the reason for the start of the gas fire. This was recanted the following day. He delayed answering as long as possible and finally refused any responsibility while saying that there was only 1 "security person" on duty and he could not be expected to react. How are we to know that the fireplace is an intrinsic part of the heating system? Even more dangerous, the sheets on the bed became hot when the fireplace was on and Waugh refused to acknowledge this. In all fairness, they did deduct half of the replacement value of the suitcase from our final bill. No additional compensation or apology was offered. The only reasons we stayed on, with very nervous sleep, were that the resort is 5 minutes from our visit and they shut off the gas to the suite from a central so that there was not even a pilot light burning. As luck would have it we are not plagued with lung problems so we could handle the situation but: What if!?!? This place is going to have a much more serious incident due to egregious negligence of the hotel management. It would not surprise us if people were to die because of this. There is no security at Crown Isle so do stay away from the accommodations. If anyone is interested I can supply you with the email conversation between the resort and me.

Room Tip: Do not stay there. Just use the golf course and perhaps the restaurant.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Glenn A
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My mother's 90th birthday party was approaching fast and we were looking for a venue where out of town guests could stay and they had a catering service for a sit down dinner. My wife and I visited several resorts on Vancouver Island and just weren't satisfied with what they had to offer, so we met with the staff at Crown Isle Golf Resort and explained what we were looking for. They presented a great package which included accommodation and dinner. The party was a huge hit, the buffet style dinner and appetizers were exceptional all for a price that was well withing the range of what we had hoped. The guests were from all around North America and agreed that the condo/townhouse rental accommodation was some of the best they had ever stayed at. None of us are golfers but the condos all over look the beautiful golf course which made you feel like you are overlooking a beautifully manicured park. As a place for a family get together it could not have been better.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I am currently staying at the Villas at Crown Isle again with my husband and son. The suites are so spacious with amazing views of the golf course. Very clean, all the amenities are provided, and the jacuzzi tub is great. We can cook breakfast and lunch in our suite, and then walk up to the clubhouse for dinner in the Timber Room.
This has been yet another great visit to Crown Isle. Can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: Ask for a suite close to the clubhouse to avoid too long of a walk.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 25, 2013

On the spur of the moment my wife & I decided to visit our son in the Air Force in Courtney. We had booked a room only & opted to upgrade to a jacuzzi suite on arrival and that was the best decision we ever made. The unit is large, airy, clean and and absolutely beautiful. This suite has all amenities one really needs.
We were greeted with a smile on arrival and the same when we checked out. There is a new shopping centre near buy if you were to need anything you want. We purchased breakfast items for the two days we were there at the super market.
We certainly recommend this resort and will definitely return. Please visit crownisle.com for all details and visit them you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed in a jacuzzi king bed room & have to say its the nicest hotel i have ever stayed at, The room was just beautiful and really made you feel relaxed & on a holiday, the rooms were super clean & staff were lovely. I was happy that there was a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel & wifi in the rooms. Would deffinatly stay with this hotel again & again

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Our first (but definitely not our last) visit to Coutenay introduced us to Crown Isle. We enjoyed a nicely appointed one bedroom suite (#204) that overlooked the first tee and was only a short stroll away from the Clubhouse. The Clubhouse contained a modest dining room, an attractive pub and a well stocked Pro Shop. Our bedroom contained a comfortable soaker tub and a large two person shower with seven shower heads! Off of the living room there is a nice ground floor patio, which in warmer weather, will be a great place for a glass of wine at the end of day. We're looking forward to a return stay which will include a round of golf on this most attractive course.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Courtenay
Old House Hotel & Spa
Beach Club Resort - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts
Painter's Lodge
Painter's Lodge
#3 of 16 in Campbell River

Been to The Villas at Crown Isle Resort? Share your experiences!