“Just board your dog, already”

Best Western The Westerly Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Courtenay
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Check in at the BW Westerly was great. Quite a large hotel with three different restaurant/bars. It is within walking distance of the main drag and across the street from the local Safeway, which is handy. The room was nice, on the back of the hotel overlooking the river. Overall it was a good stay, except we could hear the people above us walking back and forth. At 7:30am I had to phone the front desk about an incessantly barking dog which interrupted our sleep. Within 15 minutes it was remedied, the front desk called to follow up and upon check out they apologized and knocked $10 off the bill. I was not pleased about the dog, but was very impressed with how they dealt with it. Very professional.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tanis R
Managing O, Owner at Best Western The Westerly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Dear Tanis1976
Thank you for all the compliments you said about our hotel and services in your review.
I am sorry about the dog but happy the staff was able to solve the problem once it was known to them.
We have excellent staff and any time they get a call in a situation they do the very best to solve it.
We are glad you liked the room and appreciated our location. It is so handy to everything and it is nice after travelling to be able to walk to everything you need.
Our beer and wine store along with the pub and restaurants including room service make it a complete destination.
Thanks for taking time out to do this review and we hope to see you back!

Reviewed April 22, 2014

the hotel was nice but the helpful staff. we had a problem with our room and Judy move us right away and up graded us. also at this hotel you received a $7.00 voucher to use in the hotel per person per day. that was nice.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Managing O, Owner at Best Western The Westerly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Dear Joan M
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about our hotel!
We appreciate your positive comments about our staff, in particular, Jody who helped with your room.
So glad you felt our voucher was a thoughtful and useful add on.
Please come and stay with us again!

Reviewed April 20, 2014

We stayed for one night for first time and had a real good time in this area. The hotel is well situated to Mount Washington and to Comox air force base. Shopping is right across the street and lots of restaurants near by. The staff at this property is the best we've encountered in awhile. The hotel is a bit dated but spotlessly clean. We would recommend it!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear food53

Thank you so much for staying with us and then taking the time to write your thoughts down for others.
You are right. Our staff is the best! We hear it all the time. The fact that you mentioned "it is the best you have encountered", pleases us no end.
Our location is the best as once you arrive you don't need your car. You can shop, eat and sightsee all within walking distance.
Next time you come, ask for a room in the new wing. It is a slight bit more but if you are looking for new, it may be worth it for your stay.
Cheers

Reviewed April 10, 2014

staying in the Jacuzzi suite was very plain paying big dollars i was not very impressed compared to others i have stayed in and i always get the Jacuzzi rooms and i wont stay if they don't have one.location not bad did not eat there but the food smelt good but that's only smelling,the front desk was good very friendly.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Managing O, Owner at Best Western The Westerly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Dear Keith J
Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel. We appreciate all you comments especially about our fantastic staff!
Your comments regarding the food which not only smells good but tastes great are appreciated. We hope that next time you stay with us you will try some of it in the pub, lounge, restaurant or through room service.
We definitely agree with you that our location is ideal as you can walk almost everywhere in the CBD and to shops, restaurants and river strolls.
We were disappointed that our jacuzzi room wasn't up to your expectations but hope that all the other good things our hotel has to offer fulfilled your stay requirements.
Hopefully you will join us again soon!

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Booked on hotwire, I know that you often get the less desirable rooms in a hotel. I had read reviews saying it was noisy from the nearby bridge. This is true but bearable. But the first night the noise from the adjacent room started at 2:30 am and ended at 5 am. We asked to move if the same neighbours were going to be there the following night. Even with the move we could hear each word of the conversations in the room next door. Not a desirable quality in a hotel room.

Will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else if you require a quiet stay.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear Carol L
Thank you for staying at our hotel and taking time to write your comments. We are always trying to improve our product and it is through comments like yours that we continue to learn.
We are terribly sorry for the noise you experienced from your next door neighbour. Some people are not as considerate as others. Our rooms do have sound proofing but for normal everyday sounds and not those in excess.
In the future do not hesitate to call the front desk so the situation can be resolved at the time it is happening. I understand how no one feels like doing that at 2 in the morning however. Our apologies on behalf of your inconsiderate neighbours.
We hope you will give us another chance as we feel we have so much to offer at our hotel.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Stayed for one night for business. The lady at the check in desk was friendly and efficient.

I got a room in the unrenovated building in the back building. After seeing the renovated rooms at the front of the property, I was underwhelmed with the room I recieved. I will say that the river view was nice and it was quiet.

The room was clean but it smelled a bit like old carpet mixed with air freshener... The decor is definitely showing its age, but the bed was pretty comfortable. The bathroom was large, but had a fluorescent light that made a noticeable buzzing noise when it was turned on.

My biggest gripe was with the digital cable receiver. The display was so bright that it basically illuminated the entire room. And despite my best efforts to power it off, it kept coming back on. I eventually had to put a towel over it. Not a deal-breaker by any means, but definitely not something that you'd rather not have to deal with at 2:30 in the morning...

All-in-all, not a bad experience, just kind of average. If I had to travel to the area again, I'd probably give this hotel another try.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear ci1000
First off let me thank you for taking your time to post your thoughts on Tripadvisor.
Your compliment to staff is very much appreciated as they always go out of their way
to please and accommodate our guests.
The newer rooms in the front are premium rooms and can be booked at a higher price. The
choice is yours. Saying that lots of our repeat customers love the older rooms as they are bigger
quieter.
I am sorry you were battling with the cable receiver light! Not everyone is bothered by that but if you are a light sleeper I know what you are saying. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about that and your solution of the towel was brilliant! That is exactly what I do!!
Please come back again and try the new wing. We would love to see what you think.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

I recently to a job here to move away from Alberta and wanted to stay in a hotel before I chose a home. I booked the hotel from Alberta and was offered a reasonable monthly rate. Upon my arrival I was greeted by Tyler at the front desk who was very professional and efficient. I have been here for a month now and my expectations have been exceeded in every category. The staff is extremely friendly and accommodating right from the girls who clean my room everyday all the way up to the owner who is always more than willing to come over for a chat and to see how my stay is going.The staff here don't just go the extra mile, they actually have made me feel at home in an unfamiliar city. The chef is always more than happy to sit and chat with me while I have dinner in the chalk or flying canoe. All in all I highly recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of coming to Courtenay for vacation or business. Not only will you be well looked after but you may make a few friends while you're at it. Thank you so much to all the wonderful people I've had the pleasure of meeting here. Although I've found a place to live here in Courtenay I will be back to visit over and over.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Managing O, Owner at Best Western The Westerly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear Todd A
Welcome to Courtenay! We are so glad you chose our hotel to ease your way into the community.
We were happy to try and work out a monthly rate with you so you could take your time to find where you wanted to live.
You managed to compliment us on all aspects of our operation and we appreciate it. It is always rewarding to know if you are doing a good job.
As you mentioned the staff is so friendly and helpful. We are so proud of all of them. We look forward to your continued patronage in the Flying Canoe and the Chalk Lounge!
Thank you for taking the time to write to TripAdvisor and letting us know how your experience went.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Courtenay
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Courtenay Comox Valley SW
Travelodge Courtenay BC
Travelodge Courtenay BC
#6 of 9 in Courtenay
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa

Been to Best Western The Westerly Hotel? Share your experiences!