“Celiac Alert”

Best Western The Westerly Hotel
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Courtenay
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 11, 2012

What a treat. Not only does the Westerly offer clean comfortable rooms and great customer service, they now offer a pretty darn good Gluten Free Pizza in the Flying Canoe Pub. There are five pizzas to chose from. All are made fresh to order and can even be delivered to your room. Can't say enough about the staff and the free breakfast omelette was great too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bridge. You can hear the tires hum on the metal grate of the bridge de...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank EWM01

Reviewed January 7, 2012

Booked 2 adjacent rooms in the older part of the hotel (not the newer wing - we had a previous stay in this hotel located in the newer wing) - one room for my wife & I and one for my daughter & her two children (3-yr old boy and infant girl). Despite not being in the newer wing, the provided rooms were quite spacious and very nicely finished. Requested a foldout children's play pen/bed with blankets (for my grand-daughter) and extra blankets for the king bed, and received both promptly from pleasant staff. The hotel has nice amenities as I took the grandson for a swim the next morning, followed by relaxing time in the hot-tub while my wife slept in and my daughter sampled the free breakfast. The hotel had everthing we needed at a reasonable rate. Only one small issue - my daughter's room was on a corner of the building (meaning 2 walls were exterior walls versus the one standard balcony wall of an interior hotel room). This meant her room was noticeably cooler during the night that ours (it was a cold windy late-December night) and we could not get her thermostat to adjust any higher than 19C to warm the room (and while the thermostat said 19C, it didn't feel that warm - the thermometer App on my daughter's cell phone said the room temp remained closer to 17C). Not a major problem with the provided extra blankets but a bit annoying. We actually preferred the rooms in the older wing (in the rear of the hotel) versus the room we previously had in the newer wing - we found the enclosed causeway that joins the main building and older wing is quite convenient for accessing the pool, dining area, lobby, etc. (and the main lobby was nicely decorated for the holiday season). Overall - excellent value and a "pleasant stay".

Reviewed January 4, 2012

We were put up in the newly built building. What a great job they did on this place. The bed was among the most comfortable I've ever slept in. People who prefer really firm mattresses might find it on the soft side, but it was a little slice of heaven for me.

The staff was excellent, breakfast delicious and the attached restaurant serves very nice meals - try the candied salmon chowder. The location is convenient with a couple places to eat in walking distance, and a Safeway across the street.

Good business centre, 2 newer computers with printers.

Room Tip: The new building is very nice, 100' walk outside.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 3, 2012

We have chosen this hotel for one night during our.2 days skiing at mt.Washington. Our stay was excellent. Indoor swimming pool, hot tub and sauna were good and helped us to relax after a cold windy day of skiing. Breakfast with their omelet was very good. Room with two queen beds was unexpected modern and cozy, we slept very comfortable. Room is had everything we were need; there is nothing we would wish have more! It is took only 35 minutes to drive back for skiing, so very convenience if compare with a long way from Victoria to the Mount Washington. We would definitely consider this hotel as alternative way for Mt.Washington's accommodation. We would recommend this hotel to our friends.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 26, 2011

They have a pool area that is nice. Also have a separate games room for kids but most, if not all, of the stuff there is old and broken unfortunately. The breakfast that came with our night's stay was quite decent. The main check in building is definitely nicer than the area where the rooms are. We were told at check in that they were going to upgrade us to a better room from the one we were assigned. I would have hate to have seen the one we were going to get. What we got was decent but nothing fancy. We are BW Diamond status so I thought it may have been due to that.

Room Tip: Perhaps check to see a room before hand.
Reviewed December 26, 2011

The room was one of the renovated rooms. It was very spacious, the bed was comforatable with lots of pillows. The breakfast was good as they made to order omeletes. It had a good variety of food. The thing I am impressed about this hotel the most is, it constantly works to improve. I have stayed at this hotel several times over the years. I have stayed in every type of room in this hotel. The new section, renovated section and the lower floors in the back area. The renovated rooms I have stayed in, usually the King, I probably like the best as they are spacious and have a (homier) feel to them. The new rooms are beautiful and there are not problems with them I just prefer the renovated rooms. The lower back rooms, the last time I stayed at them, had comfy beds with duvets but they were small. Also when I stayed in them a few years ago, it felt a bit like a dungeon. At the time the hallway walls were dirty and it just didn't feel comfortable even getting to your room. I am from Comox but am in the military. I remember when the Westerly opened, so I am impressed, although a few hiccups over the years, that they have changed and kept up with the times. Great work Westerly.

Room Tip: choose a renovated room or the new section.
Reviewed December 10, 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this great hotel. All our needs were met and surpassed. The large room was clean, comfortable, and quiet. The breakfasts exceeded our expectations - the custom made omelets were a real treat! The staff were very friendly and helpful. The extras such as free WiFi, morning paper, and clean remote were much appreciated. We will definitely stay here next time we are in Courtenay!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room as the hotel is located on the main road and near the bridge.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Courtenay
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Courtenay Comox Valley SW
Travelodge Courtenay BC
Travelodge Courtenay BC
#6 of 10 in Courtenay
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa

Been to Best Western The Westerly Hotel? Share your experiences!