“total relaxation with a breath taken view”

Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Courtenay
Reviewed January 27, 2011

Back home from a two day visit at this resort and spa. Most relaxing two days I've every had. We will diffidently be back and for a longer stay. The staff were very friendly and knowledgeable. Our room extremely clean and comfortable with a breath taken view of the ocean with sunset and sunrise steps away from the beach. The Hydropath experience was the highlight of our stay. I can't wait to visit again this time in the summer.
Trev :-)

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank trevorlord66
There are newer reviews for Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa

Reviewed January 14, 2011

Went to the Kingfisher Inn for a little R&R with the girlfriend. Nice getaway from the hectic life of Vancouver. Pleasantly surprised at how beautiful a spot this is. Got a great beachfront room, definitely worth the extra expense. Rooms were spacious and modern, with a cozy fireplace. Loved waking up and being able to make a cup of coffee and beach comb right from the patio door. Spent an afternoon in the spa. Decided to go for the hydro water treatment, which was totally worth it. Never experienced anything like it before. Had two meals in their restaurant, was very impressed with the menu. Lots of choices and a reasonable selection of wines. Found the staff very courteous and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tbvan
Reviewed January 10, 2011

From the moment we arrived, we were emersed in an environment of beauty and relaxation! From the super comfy beds with fluffy pillows, to the beautiful decor, useful and accessible amenities, very helpful and friendly staff, and amazing food- our trip was a 5 star! We will come back every year!

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed January 5, 2011

My 2 friends & I stayed at the Kingfisher over the New Years & had an amazing time! We stayed in one on the newly renovated room that over looked the beach & water. The Spa is so beautiful & alot bigger then you would think! We all had Pedicures & got to enjoy the Pacific Mist Hydropath. Girls at the Front Desk were very nice & helped us out locating everything in the Spa!
Food in the Restaurant was very good although it would be nice to see more Vegetarian options on the menu. If you are a Seafood lover then this is the Restaurant for you to eat at!
Would defiantly stay here & recommend it to others!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jenn F
Reviewed December 23, 2010

I had visited the Kingfisher resort many times in the past when it was under the old management and had experienced a wonderful Vancouver Island jewel. I was returning for a sixth year and concerned that the experience might be slightly different or less impeccable as new ownership/management usually needs a little time to work out the transitition etc. Add to that a renovation and one might have lowered ones expectations. Well, I couldn't have been more wrong. The new leadership at the Kingfisher has taken what was a grand experience in the past and elevated it to what a resort/spa experience is meant to be. Every hospitality point was hit whether it was the quality of the food in the restaurant which was exceptional to the level of service accompanying the food. Each department seemed to shine in ways the old Kingfisher did in a less consistent manner, where one area would be great and another so-so. The leadership must be doing something right. We were truly "pampered" from the front desk experience to the spa and we enjoyed a two day experience that was second to none. All of this against the backdrop of a property located against the most magnificent back drop in Western Canada. It is just breathtaking!!! The renovated rooms also were remarkable...the finer touches adding to the extra specialness of the stay. The General Manager needs some recognition as well as the new ownership for taking this gem and making it even shinier. We'll be back for sure and have already bragged to others we know who visited the KingFisher in the past. They've got to see what "new and improved" feels like!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank citius1
Reviewed December 12, 2010

This weekend I enjoyed the 10th yearly visit to the Kingfisher Spa with my girlfriends and we always take advantage of the spa package, and this year we enjoyed the same remarkable service that we have come to expect.

I had a facial and massage this year, both were excellent. The food was amazing, I think they have a new chef because the menu was really different. The seafood chowder was amazing.

I have to admit to being surprised by the negative comments on trip advisor-- the Kingfisher is amazing, the rooms have just been redecorated and are out of this world. I would recommend this little piece of perfection to anyone who loves a great deal, a wonderful spa and a remarkable ocean view!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded December 16, 2010

Thank-you so much for taking the time to provide us with a review about your recent visit to the Resort! We are thrilled about the new look to the Beachfront Suites as well! Looking forward to seeing welcoming you back next year for your 11th Annual retreat!

Reviewed November 16, 2010

I was really looking forward to going to the Kingfisher Resort and Spa for my birthday. I had heard many good reviews from close friends and family that have been in the past. My mom and I arrived on the 8th and check in without any problems. Our room was nice-it had been newly renovated except the counter tops were unfinished. The view, unfortunately, despite being ocean front looked out over a dumpster and a storage bin. However, we were informed of the reno's when we booked-but not informed of the 'view'.
That night we went to the hydropath and had a great time-despite the steam cave not working. In lieu of the steam cave we had extra time in some of the other pools and 15% was taken off the service. We also had dinner at the resort that night and it was fine-over priced though-we had two pasta dishes and split a salad, no drinks and our bill was $70!
The next day was my birthday and we went to the gym to which the two ellipitical trainers were not working and apparently you have to run fast because it was damn freezing in the room! We also had manicures. The service was fine, however I have been to many spas and this was a very superficial treatment. For $67 I expected the cuticles to be cut and the polish to maybe not chip that evening! Perhaps they should look into giving you the polish so you can touch it up yourself. I also went back to the room and fixed mine and my mom's cuticles. Dinner was uninspiring with old school presentation, over cooked salmon and halibut swimming in a soup supposed to be couscous. Also, we ordered a cake to split for my birthday and they still charged us for it! I always go out for my birthday and every other restaurant I have ever been to has complimentary birthday cake, however that was minor I guess...
The next day was our spa day. My mom and I booked the deluxe retreat of massage, body wrap, facial and pedicure. Everything started out great with a wonderful massage until about one quarter of the way through the fire alarm started ringing. The therapist left the massage to see if it was okay and apparently it was just a malfunction-well it was a malfunction that went off all day long! It basically rang through the massage, part of the wrap and one more time for good luck in the pedicure. It was very unfortunate-especially when you are spending the WHOLE day there!! My wrap was lovely but my mom said she was cold and the girl was rushing and abrupt. We both had nice facials however. Knowing what the manicure was like the day before I had low hopes for the pedicures and the service lived up to it! Both mine and my mom's feet were dry and still come heel cracks left upon inspection when back in our room. Again she didn't cut the cuticles or even file my toes! At the end all we wanted to do was go...oh and for the fire alarm ringing we were comped 25% of the massage. They did increase it to 50% of the massage only after we complained.
That night we actually went to an awesome restaurant in Courtenay, Atlas, and thank god because I would have rather eaten Pizza Hut than suffered through that dinner menu again. Although, the breakfast and lunch menu were much much better than the dinner.
Upon checkout and our unimpressed visit relayed to the front desk instead of calling the manager the girl did try to do her best to "make it up to us" which was basically all about "if you come back we can...". Really not the best time to be pushing another visit when for how much we spent it was a joke. She ended up comping the hydropath (which was included in our package anyways) so basically for the junk spa day we had about $100 off our spa bill...oh and a complimentary breakfast. Woohoo!
All in all, not planning on ever going back there. It was not worth the money or the stress! I think the resort should have done more about the fire alarm ringing throughout the deluxe retreat-perhaps 50% off the whole package or a "complimentary deluxe retreat for our next visit" which seems to be what they are all about...So Kingfisher-maybe next time?!

• Stayed: November 2010
2  Thank greyolla
Management response:Responded November 25, 2010

Thank-you for taking the time to provide a review about your recent visit to the Kingfisher. We are truly sorry that your stay was not as you expected. We are in the process of renovations to the Beachfront Suites and although the majority of the work is complete there are still some finishing touches that are required such as coating the countertops. Because storage of the furniture was required during the renovations we had to bring in a storage bin to use for this purpose. It was temporary and has since been removed now that we are almost finished the suites. We have had some challenges with the fitness equipment recently and have an order in for new equipment to replace the pieces that are no longer in good working order. We did check the heating in the fitness room and the only thing we can think is that perhaps a window might have been open as everything seems to be working fine. It was very unfortunate that the fire alarm malfunctioned during your time at the Spa and we do apologize for the incovenience that it caused. There was a problem with the wiring and we had to bring in someone to fix it, so that is why it went on longer than it should. We take the safety of our guests and staff seriously so we need to ensure that it we have it worked on by a professional. Thank-you again for your comments. It is important to know how our guests feel and where we can make improvements.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Courtenay
Old House Hotel & Spa
Painter's Lodge
Painter's Lodge
#2 of 16 in Campbell River
Beach Club Resort - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts

Been to Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!