“Disappointed, and overated”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Courtenay
Victoria, Canada
“Disappointed, and overated”
Reviewed July 25, 2004

We booked a two-night stay (Oceanview room) at this resort for late July. It was very hot (about 31 or 32 degrees), and to our complete surprise we discovered our room was NOT Air-conditioned. Needless to say, it was very hot and stuffy, and did not really cool down until about 1:30 AM. As well, there were no screens on the balcony door window, or any window for that matter. The balcony is essentially one long deck that has been divided , into units, with a rail across every six feet. Not much privacy, as you can know see and hear any conversation along the length of the deck. A very disappointing experience, I will not stay here again, nor will I recommend it. The accommodation is not up to par for the price charged.

• Stayed July 2004
23 Thank carmena16

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
port alberni, bc
Reviewed May 26, 2004

I had booked a 2 day stay recently in one of the Romance Suites, which included your 2 dinners and 2 breakfasts and the use of the hydropath for the two of us.

The spa experience was wonderful. It is a wonderful facility. That I would rate top notch.

The restaurant service is average. On our first night for dinner we had to wait 25 minutes to get a drink. The next evening the service was much better.

The serving staff on the morning shift, lack enthusiasm and you have to beg for a refill of coffee.

As for the room it was nice with a great view. I did notice that in the bathroom there was rot on the wall in the corner by the shower stall. Very unprofessional. Maid service was average. The conditioner dispenser in the shower stall was empty.
Someone did not do their job.

Overall we were quite disappointed. On a whole I would rate the facililty slightly better than average.
I guess I expected alot more. I understand the facility is for adults. There were many people there with their small children.

26 Thank janice4053
Reviewed April 13, 2004

I have been to this spa before but only stayed over night for the first time a few weeks ago. I've never been overly impressed with the atmosphere of the spa but my facial was one of the best facials I've ever had, but last week when I stayed over night and booked the spa package it started off with hydo baths in the caves, then the facial to follow. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. My suggestion is to include that with every treatment over $80.00. I think the people using the spa would leave with more of an impression. I'm glad I tried it again. I will go again but only if the hydo baths were included with the treatment, I wouldn't pay an additional $40.00 to use it. I normally go to the Willow Stream Spa in Victoria as they have something that is called a spa ritual that you do before every treatment no matter how much it costs. It really helps to get you in the mood and to totally relax.

26 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 2, 2004

My girlfriend and I spent valentine's weekend at this spa in 2002. The spa was excellent, the food was good, however, the service at the hotel was less than satisfactory. Our stay was for 2 nights and had to be split up in different rooms due to availability (not an issue as this was our choice). The first night was booked for a "Romance" suite and the second night in an "Orca" suite. To our surprise, hotel staff knocked on our door at 11 am and bluntly insisted that we leave until our "Romance" suite was ready for check in. Apparently, the hotel needed to clean the room at 11 am and could not put this off until our "Orca" suite was ready. The result.... packing our belongings up in a hurry and spending 5 hours out in the street until we could check into the "Orca" suite for the second evening. This was incredibly embarrassing, inconvenient and as far from relaxing as you can imagine. The manager apologized for their error, informed us that this should not have happened, however did nothing to rectify the situation. I found this to be in poor taste for what is suppose to be a quality resort. Overall ranking a pricey 2 out of 5.

• Stayed February 2002
26 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 8, 2004

This spa is amazing. I had never been to a spa, so didn't know what to expect. I was thrilled to find it to be very high quality. It is on the ocean, with a beautiful view of the mountains across the strait. All of the buildings are decorated nicely. We stayed in the Chinook suite, which has two queen beds, a kitchen, a gas fireplace and a balcony directly above the beach. I strongly suggest paying the extra money for a suite instead of the hotel type rooms. They look onto the grounds of the spa, not the ocean like the suites. I recommend asking for a room on the top floor. My only complaint about my room was that I could hear people walking above me and could hear their hot tub running.
Kingfisher offers packages that include the room price, a couple of spa treatments, and some dinners and breakfasts. It is a cheaper way to go.
Every employee I came in contact with was very professional and good at their jobs. We ended up eating all of our meals at their dinning room because the food was so good. You don't need to go into town. And we didn't have a car anyways. They picked us up from the airport. When we first got there, we went into the Pacific Mist Hydropath room. It was a nice way to start off our time there. I recommend doing that first. The next two days we got two treatments each day. More would have been too much. The rest of the time we walked on the beach, went to the pool and hot tub, sat on our balcony, read, played cards and just relaxed. It was early March, so it rained some. But the temperature was mild most of the time and even sunny sometimes. Kingfisher is a great place. You should go.

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Courtenay
Old House Hotel & Spa
Black Rock Oceanfront Resort
Painter's Lodge
Painter's Lodge
#2 of 16 in Campbell River

Been to Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!