“Romantic Weekend Away”

Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Courtenay
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My fiancé and I spent the weekend at the Kingfisher and LOVED every minute of it. Andrea at the spa was really knowledgable and we both enjoyed our treatments as they were so relaxing. The food was delicious, and we had one of the most beautiful views from our room we have ever seen! Not to mention Lauren at the front desk was so helpful and really made us feel at home.

We will definitely be back soon and would highly recommend this spot for a great weekend getaway on the Island!

1  Thank Kelly W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,316)

Reviewed September 4, 2013

The Kingfisher has been one of our eagerly anticipated places to go to for over a year now so when an offer arose promoting a spa day, we chose to take advantage of it to celebrate our wedding anniversary and stay over-night in one of their romantic suites. At the same time, we also bought a two-night deal for the future anticipating that we will love our stay and want to go back. How wrong we were.

First point... they really need to improve their telephone/reservation service. I tried to book by email but was told to call to make our reservation. We tried repeatedly and could not get through so we followed instructions to leave a voicemail and someone would call us back. By the next evening, we received no such phone call and decided just to carry on with email which led to confusion as they couldn't understand that we were booking via a voucher. We tried the phone again and finally got through to Monica (?) who was great but all in all, it took too long for something so easy to do with other hotels.

Anyhoo, a few more emails later and finally the day comes and we arrive at the hotel. By now I had assumed it better to lower all expectations and I was right to. We had asked earlier that day on the phone if we could have early check-in as our afternoon at the spa started at 1.15pm but understandably, they said there was no guarantee. On arrival at 1pm we were told our room was not going to be ready until after 3 and to just leave our luggage with them. Although check-out for the previous occupants would have been at 11am. I guess it takes 4 hours to clean a room. Usually, I don't mind and this is something I don't make a point of as a clean room is nice but skipping ahead, when we later got to our room in the early evening it a disappointment to say the least. There was a damp smell which I expect is usual when you have old carpets (with huge stains) in rooms facing the ocean , but boy was there a pervasive smell of urine too. My gag reflex went off and I asked my husband to see if we could get another room. The smell was strong and it just looked and felt grimy, unkept and unclean.

By this time, it was getting close to 7pm (when we had a dinner reservation) and we simply just wanted to relax and enjoy a glass of bubbly before heading out to it. But I sat waiting in the Romantic Suite with our bags for 25 minutes until a lady came to show me an Orca room as an alternative. I checked the rate for that night and it was the same rate as the romantic suite so no favours done there, but I hoped it would be better smelling. It was fine. There was still a damp smell, but nothing like the room above. So, back to having our celebratory glass of bubbly. We pulled out a glass from the kitchen and it was dirty and covered in bright pink lipstick. Back on the phone and we show the young lady from the restaurant the glass. She didn't raise an eyelid, simply said 'ok' and handed over some clean glasses and stalked off. Nice.

We kept our expectations low and headed to the restaurant. We didn't have a table by the window as requested weeks ago and of course there was 'no guarantee' - but were happy to wait for an empty one to be cleaned up since we had been playing the waiting game for most of our experience of this hotel. The food was really good though when it eventually arrived - we waited forty minutes for the bread - and the ambience was fine. We had the Zen oysters (so good) and the halibut which was perfect.

So, overall a really, really disappointing stay for our anniversary but we were happy with the Hydropath which gives it the extra star to bring it to two. It was incredibly relaxing, well laid out and the lady who walked us through it was lovely. I really recommend it for those who are coming for the day but over all the actual spa is very tired looking.

With the other voucher I have for this hotel, well I am too late for a refund and would feel guilty to pass it on as a gift so we will have to just suck that one up as a bad purchase.

Room Tip: I hate to say this, but look elsewhere if expecting a luxury hotel.
3  Thank VictorianPoppet
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Looking for a place to get away from the hustle and bustle of our everyday lives. Kingfisher Resort and Spa can make all those annoying traffic jams and endless to do lists seems miles away. Beautiful grounds, pools and spa. Divine meals in the dining room. Quiet rooms to relax and chill out in. Glorious views.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here with my new wife in one of their suites on Aug 26 and checked out on Aug 28, 2013.

Firstly, I would recomment people going to the local Costco in Courtaney to stock up the Kingfisher's giftcards sold there ($80 for $100 dollars). They can be used for dining, spa and room charges.

We were suprised by the size and the view of the ocean from the suite. The size of the balcony and small kitchenette made this room impressive.

We went to their spa and tried their Hydropath service. It was very different from what I have experience from other spas and was not expensive. The Breakwater resturant also offered resonable prices for lunch and dinner.

The only downside was their elevator was not working the whole time we were there. And a werid quirk was the room had a stereo system that still ran on tape/CD with no ipod dock. I just chucked at the tape deck portion.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My friend and I celebrate our birthdays here every year and have not been disappointed ever. The Hydropath is amazing, the staff are with you all the time but discreetly not with you! It takes an hour, you walk through a series of rooms through a cave-like atmosphere, each one very different from a steam room to a hot tub to a large pool with a rain shower falling on you. There is a relaxation room to enjoy afterwards, while listening to the ocean crashing outside. The rooms are fabulous and you can hear the ocean while you relax in bed or on your balcony. The dining room has amazing fresh local product, seafood lover's paradise! The staff are the best, fun, and accommodating. Just one night will make you feel regenerated.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms in the main building overlook the gardens and you can see the ocean and hear it...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 31, 2013

The service at the front desk and spa are excellent and highly personalized. They do everything possible to ensure the stay is ideal. The grounds are lovely - lots of flowers and very well maintained, with driftwood accents throughout. The spa is highly professional and well set up. The restaurant has some great meals (carpaccio, crab, salmon) and some okay (pasta). Service was great most of the time, but inconsistent (seated then ignored for 10 minutes, forgotten drink orders, no follow-up on meal). The room was spotless with attention to detail (good coffee, cream, mini-fridge, corkscrew, etc), but some maintenance is needed - door paint was peeling, unpainted patch in the bathroom, tired looking on the back side). Half the rooms are on the second floor, so stairs are a bit of a pain for lugging stuff. There is less privacy here for two reasons - the balcony/patios are separated by only a cross bar, no plexiglass or plants - and the sound travels. It also gives you/your neighbours access to all the 2nd floor balconies if wished, and you can see right into the neighbouring rooms from your deck. The only window is right next to the bathroom, facing the outdoor walkway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far from the pool and restaurant as possible. Pool and spa are nice, but the beach...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My husband and I spent two gloriously relaxing nights here in mid-August. We stayed in the Romance suite, but soon discovered we would have been very comfortable in any room. Although, we did enjoy the amenities of the suite we were in.
The resort is very well kept and although very very nice never feels fussy or overdone. We enjoyed the hydro path and would do it again in a heartbeat.
Our main goal in visiting this resort was to relax and unwind, the ambience and service were very conducive to our goals. We used the pool, hot tub, and sauna several times all of which were scrupulously clean.
We loved the restaurant, the food was fresh and tasty and met our high expectations. We especially enjoyed the chef's Caesar salad (even me, I don't typically like Caesar salad) .
We look forward to returning to this wonderful resaosrt.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Courtenay
Old House Hotel & Spa
Tigh-Na-Mara Resort
#4 of 13 in Parksville
Black Rock Oceanfront Resort
Water's Edge Shoreside Suites

Been to Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!