“"Relaxing, relaxing, relaxing"”

Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Courtenay
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Were there to celebrate my husband's 50th. Our first weekend away in years without kids!
From the moment we arrived to the moment we left the staff were warm and welcoming. I had booked us an "Arbutus Suite" room on the beachfront. Spectular view from the upper floor with our own private balcony. There was a fireplace in the room and did I mention the under floor heating in the washroom. The room was clean, and modern. We had not booked for supper that night at the restaurant, but they managed to find us a place were we could talk comfortably and see the view. The Sunday brunch the next day was to die for! Recommend definitely reserving for this, as it was busy Good bang for your buck! The spa services were exceptional.My husband and I are already talking about returning there for my 50th next year.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

From check-in , where we were greeted like old friends although it was our first visit, until our departure, the staff were exceptional. We were here on an advertised "deal" so the room was one of the cheaper available and certainly elderly, but clean, comfortable, had been refurbished and was well equipped with most amenities including terry robes and a minuscule kitchenette. The deal included a hydropath experience for two on day one which was interesting and relaxing. It consisted of a series of 7 serial moisture laden experiences, all under cover and very private with a supervising guide, culminating with a tidal pool soak in which on scrubbed onself with sea salt. The whole experience lasted about an hour and left one feeling quite languid and truly on holiday. The deal also included a dining room credit per person, which we utilised on the evening of our arrival. A reasonably varied menu included much local seafood and other local produce beautifully prepared and presented. A very varied wine list was available ranging in price from the modest to the exorbitant, again with excellent local product available. And so to bed (well appointed and comfortable).
The following morning my companion had booked an early relaxing yoga experience after which we met in the hot tub and smallish swimming pool which was at a temperature suitable for the time of year and we were lucky with the weather. Thus refreshed we drove to explore the town centre of Courteney about 6 km away finding a great lunch in a local eatery. In the early afternoon my companion had booked a hot stone massage at the spa, which she reported as superb, while I walked the beach watching a line up of 20 plus bald eagles including a mixture of adults and new immatures from nearby nests. The adults were teaching the young how to fish and explore the tidal pools. Amazing!
We decided to eat out again for variety in spite of the very satifactory on site food and found another pleasant restaurant in downtown Courteney.
Our deal also include a rate for our second night's stay so we had a wonderfully relaxing break at a most reasonable price and left feeling quite pampered.

Room Tip: Our 'Cheap" room was good but, if you want to look at the sea you must specify and pay for...
Reviewed May 16, 2013

On a recent trip to the Kingfisher Resort and Spa, with my daughter for her 40th birthday, I have to say that while the staff are friendly and courteous, the facility itself is getting very tired looking and in need of a facelift. While I assumed that the room we were booked in to, an ocean front suite, I had visions of at least a bedroom, the room, for the price, was no more than a double room with not a lot of space. Only one suitcase stand, no desk for writing or computer, small bathroom, tired, paint-flaking chairs on the deck... I had booked the 'It's all about you' package for my daughter and myself, at a cost of about $800.00 for the 2 of us. With the spa credit, the resteraunt credit and the $25.00 gift certificate, that come out to about $450.00 for the room for 2 nites........a bit pricey in my estimation for something so ho hum. We came back after being gone most of the first day, returning late afternoon to find our room had not been made up. After calling the front desk, replacement of towels and glasses was offered, or a full treatment (that should have been done in the first place), which did we want??? What do you think!? We were offered a drink in the restaurant while the service was being done, but we would have much preferred to have skipped that and come back to a clean room. Ice machine was out of order, and it took 2 calls to have ice delivered, and the same with the creamers in the fridge that had forgotten to be refilled. That being said, the food and service in the restaurant was awesome,(although a bit pricey, so we took advantage of the kitchenette and ate dinner on the balcony the second night), the spa treatment was wonderful, staff friendly, and the view worth a million bucks. Would I return? With so many other spa/resort choiced on Vancouver Island, probably not.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We booked the romance room for our 7th anniversary and first night together alone in 7 years. We drove in quite a distance and arrived an hour early so figured we would go for lunch at the Breakwater restaurant. Kyla greeted us at the lobby and memorized our names immediately! There was no feeling of imposition for arriving early and she was excited to meet us.

Our experience with the facilities were wonderful. Though there was a minor issue it was more than rectified quickly. Kyla made us feel like VIP's the whole time.

The room itself is not a huge room, it is earthy and comfortable. The jacuzzi tub is an experience to enjoy, and the view, my goodness the view.

We checked in, went for lunch at the Breakwater, then returned to our room to enjoy the view and just relax for a little bit before our 530 dinner reservation. It was lovely to just relax and enjoy each other's company for a bit. Dinner was amazing and the restaurant staff made sure we felt taken care of and cared for.

After dinner we returned to our room to get on some runners and do some minor beach combing, then off to the hydropath before calling it a night.

When I booked my reservation I requested a bottle of wine and cheese and fruit plate, both were spectacular. But nothing, not even the view, could come close to the amazing service we received.

It really was a wonderfully relaxing experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Natasha R, General Manager at Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful review ypperin1. We have such an amazing team of staff at the Kingfisher Resort and Spa who make me feel truly proud. We do have an absolutely spectacular view and every day, the team at the Kingfisher strives to offer service to match that view. I enjoyed sharing your comments with the team.

Thank you again for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Resort very soon.

All the best,
Natasha Richardson

Reviewed May 11, 2013

I am going to start this review by stating that there is absolutely no way I will be able to describe what an amazing time my husband and I had at this beautiful resort. With that being said....
We spent a portion of our honeymoon at this resort and we were beyond delighted with everything. We stayed in an Eagle Suite on the second floor. It was phenomenal! The bed was comfortable with a gorgeous view from the bedroom. The wrap-around windows in the main room provided us with a spectacular view. My husband and I loved sitting on our balcony while watching bald eagles fly all around the property. We loved having our kitchenette allowing us to bring in some food, cook, and dine outside on our balcony. The wi-fi was also a huge plus.
We decided to enjoy the Hydropath service at the spa and I will say that if you do not give this service a try, no matter what kind of "spa-skeptic" you may be, you are crazy. My husband and I enjoyed the path together and we have never been so relaxed! Our guide was so friendly and patient providing us with everything we needed every step of the way. This is an absolute must while staying at the resort.
We had a quick bite during the "lounge menu" hours at the restaurant. Everything was delicious and we enjoyed sitting outside and enjoying to gorgeous weather. Our server was very attentive and friendly and she timed our meal perfectly. Wish she could have sat down and joined us for a cold beer!
The staff was beyond accommodating and super friendly. We had mentioned that we were on our honeymoon and the lovely lady who helped us at check-in sent an adorable arrangement of chocolates to our room - so thoughtful, thank you!
We were so bummed when we had to leave, but spent the first hour of our car drive planning our return trip. We cannot wait to return and will most definitely recommend the Kingfisher to friends and family traveling to the area.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We spent an idyllic 2 nights at this resort. Our room faced the ocean and Comox Bay. Beds and linens were very comfortable. Starbucks coffee for the in-room brewer plus real cream in the bar size fridge made us happy risers in the mornings. Staff were friendly and helpful; found us a secure room for storing our bikes. We had a spa hydrotherapy treatment and really enjoyed it. We thought the restaurant looked awesome but the menu was pretty pricey, so we found great food in local pubs and restaurants. We would definitely return to this peaceful, beautiful resort.

Room Tip: We really liked our ground floor room because we could move the outdoor furniture into the sunny gra...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 7, 2013

For Christmas, my wife gave me a one night + spa gift through Travelzoo. We finally went yesterday. I'm not a spa/massage guy, so we did the Hydropath spa. What an experience!! We were absolutely pampered and were super relaxed after the hydropath. Melanie was great. There were a couple of young people in front of us and they were a bit noisy, so she held us back (at least that's what we think :)...what a treat. We really enjoyed ourselves.
Cant' wait to go again.

Room Tip: The oceanview rooms are nice, but balconies are open to each other so not private. Next time we will...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Courtenay
Old House Hotel & Spa
Tigh-Na-Mara Resort
#4 of 13 in Parksville
The Villas at Crown Isle Resort
Water's Edge Shoreside Suites

Been to Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!