“Poor rooms and very tired resort!”

Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Courtenay
Sooke, Canada
“Poor rooms and very tired resort!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is the 3rd time we have stayed at Kingfisher, the last two times in pet rooms. The pet rooms and furnishings are from the 1950's, especially the kitchens. The rest of the room was average at best. The resort itself is tired and looks old. The 2nd to last time we stayed here, we were told the pet rooms were going to be renovated, cleary they did not do that. The only rooms they ever renovate are the beach front ones. This indicates to me that everyone else who chooses not to stay in the beach front rooms are second class citizens. Our dinner was the only bright star on the weekend and that was strictly because of our server, Roxy. Floors are freezing cold, carpet dirty and had cigarette burns in it - not good at all. Will never stay here again. Would rather spend more money to get a way better quality resort/hotel. Don't waste your money.

Room Tip: Unless you want a crappy room, pick beachfront or better yet, pick a different resort.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Spyhopper12
Natasha R, Manager at Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and honest feedback Syphopper12. Our Beachfront Suites were the first rooms to be renovated at the Resort and we are now in the process of updating our Ocean View Suites. As well, our Restaurant and Spa are undergoing updates, including new carpeting and linens. We certainly do not feel our guests who stay in our Ocean View Suites are second class citizens and we offer exception guest service to all our visitors. Roxy is one of our amazing staff who truly models the guest service we have a reputation for.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to posting images of our updated rooms on the website. We hope you check back with us soon.

All the best,
Natasha Richardson,
Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
Langley
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

I booked the Kingfisher using a Living Social voucher which came with an ocean view room....which is a little deceiving as they are rooms at the back of the property where the ocean is visible while looking over other buildings. Much of the property has amazing ocean views but the property definitely needs some upgrades...the entertainment system was horrible. The remotes wouldn't work and it was frustrating finding channels with no guide...also the sound kept cutting out...
The Breakwater restaurant is lovely with good menu and good food....the servers were professional, friendly and efficient...
However, the biggest disappointment was the Spa. My husband and I booked a couple's massage...hoping for a relaxing and maybe even romantic experience...but that's not what we experienced. The spa had no ambience whatsoever. The rooms were plain and uninviting. There were 2 massage tables situated in a small, bright....almost like a hospital, room...no candles or warm lighting and background music that was barely audible. For almost $250.00 it was a real disappointment, and definitely not romantic....we had been to Tigh-na-mara the previous year and had the most romantic, unbelievable couples massage in a large, candlelit room, with beautiful 2 person soaker tub, rose petals and champagne for about the same price.....
The other disappoibtment were the changing rooms...they were very out dated with almost no amenities and only a small area to fix your hair with one hair dryer and one straightener....
We will not be returning to Kingfisher for any spa experience....Apparently there is a special Spa Hydropath that we were unable to experience and that has had good reviews....
The sunday brunch looked amazing but was $30 dollars each and you couldn't order a la carte....the only option was having a regular breakfast between 8 and 9....we opted for room service and the food was delivered promptly and was fresh and yummy.

Room Tip: If you book an 'oceanview room' you will not be looking directly at the ocean. You will be a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kelnel60
Thank you for your review Kelnel60! We are happy to hear that you had the opportunity to take advantage of our Living Social promotion. The Pacific Mist Spa is currently undergoing a refresh which includes new paint, furniture, cushions and updated ambiance. I apologize that during your visit we had not yet updated our massage rooms, and we appreciate your feedback. We take pride in the outstanding service offered by our staff and are confident you enjoyed your massage.
We offer two Spa change rooms for women and one for men. Our goal is for our guests to enjoy their time in one of our four relaxation lounges. We choose to keep our amenities at the front desk for your convenience.

I am sorry you were unable to experience our signature service, the Pacific Mist Hydropath. It is a unique experience and very popular.

We look forward to posting images of our updated service rooms on our website when they are complete and hope you will choose to join us again, perhaps on a future Living Social special or one of our other amazing package rates.

Thank you again for your feedback.
- Andrea Fisher
Spa Director
Vancouver Island, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

I booked this because of the Living Social promotion. $149 for 2 nights in an Oceanview Room, $50 spa credit, and $10 restaurant credit.

This hotel was hard to get weekend dates in this entry level category because of this promotion. Therefore you’re offered a $75 per night room upgrade. I noticed rooms in the Oceanview category were still available, yet was sold out when I went to book. I managed to secure the oceanview category after speaking with the Manager.

Oceanview rooms all have a nice view of the ocean and are set back on the property, yet not far from the water. They are in a motel style building, are small, however some things have been upgraded , although still had old school key system and tvs . I appreciated the duvet covers on the bed, there was a fridge, hot plate, and microwave. There were some nice signature Kingfisher touches to the room, like starfish drawer knobs, 2 robes. I’m sure these rooms will be updated soon, and will be wonderful!

While checking-in, we were given an itinerary of our spa bookings. Appreciated that our room was available earlier that check in time as my friend had an early spa appointment. However upon reviewing the spa appointments we noticed that our Hydropath appointment was 5 hours after we would have checked out on the Sunday (not the Saturday that we had booked). Disappointed as I booked these 2 months earlier. The spa said they were all sold out for Saturday, which we were to have this before my massage. However she squeezed us in after my massage and that also worked for us. I’m lucky to have kept such great notes of who booked us, and which day I did this.

The Spa reception area sold quite a bit of items. The waiting area was less than impressive. I wasn’t offered a locker to leave my bag, the waiting area for massage was in a plain area, with a couple chairs, tea and lemon water. I have been to many high end spa’s before where you are offered wine, fruit (dried and fresh), nuts, juices, etc etc. After massage I waited in another waiting room, again nothing too exciting. I had to ask a reception for a locker. I was directed into the change room where it was filled with people (at least 6), I changed into my bathing suit in the bathroom where I had nowhere to hang up my bag. Was looking for some make up remover, and there was only body lotion, (as well as one hair dryer and straightner, where were under lock down). I come out and my friend was waiting for me in the waiting room, she had her runners just tucked under a chair. She was offered flip-flops (I wasn’t) ... but not a locker. I told her to put her shoes in my locker. She was surprised I was in the pool change room, as the day before she was in a neighbouring change room, which was much more calming and less chaotic. I then asked at the spa reception if my stuff was in the right change room. The answer was yes. OK then? Strange. Nothing like the change room at Tigh-Na-Mara’s Grotto Spa or Spa Utopia.

Now the best part of our whole vacay! The Hydropath. I really didn’t know what to expect, however everyone on TripAvisor raved about it. It. Was. Amazing. About seven different water stations, the hostess was wonderful. You enter this with your party only, max 3 or 4. It’s very private, dark, and wonderful with your partner/friends. It lasts an hour. I will definitely be back for this, worth every penny.

The pool was very warm for being half outside, the other half under cover. The hot tub was spacious. Did not like you were not even allowed to bring your own water, in a plastic bottle? Really? The steam cave was also really nice.

The resort is about 5 minutes from Courtenay..... Walmart, restaurants, and a movie theatre, all very close. There is a Starbucks on the main drag, at the Safeway and beside the Safeway. The best Mexican restaurant is called Tita’s Mexican Restaurant and is open from 4pm onwards. We didn’t dine in the resorts restaurant, although it appeared busy and would have wonderful views. The beach is rocky so bring your rain boots. There is also a hiking trail near by that takes about an hour. Bikes can be rented and umbrella’s were available if needed.

I found everywhere to be very clean, and overall was a nice experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank marspice
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Just boarding the ferry back to Vancouver and wanted to take the time to write a review. I purchased 2 nights for $179 which included a $100.00 spa certificate, (sun-thurs only) on travel zoo, what an incredible deal. I can't wait to go back. The location, spa, pool, steam and fitness centre was amazing ( treadmills and bikes looks over the ocean) I can see maybe in peak season the fitness room could probably get really busy, I believe they sell memberships to the local residents too. I have heard sometimes when you purchase a voucher the staff doesn't treat you the same, well I can tell you that from the check-in to the spa, to the restaurant every staff member was friendly, helpful and make you feel welcome, beautiful ocean view from my room with a patio and chairs.The meal was excellent ( I had the Artic char) the restaurant has great ocean front views as well.
P.S. to all people who purchase vouchers and discount deals please remember to still tip ALL the staff accordingly, they are still working hard to make your stay an enjoying one.

• Stayed February 2013
vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

We met a friend here for lunch and what a delight!! Excellent food. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff and a beautiful view. The waitress was attentive and knew about the menu items and also was able to recommend an excellent local wine--Pinot Gris from Beaufort wineries. We will definitely return!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
SA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

We visited our son and daughter in law and her family in Victoria, BC, arriving in Vancouver Island on 26th December, 2012. After the hustle and bustle of Christmas at home and then having been brought 'down' by the dreaded bug that had been swooping through North America, we thought a short break with a day of skiing at Mt Washington would be the thing to do. We didn't want to spend the whole time on the slopes so dear Son and D-I-L suggested we stay at this Hotel in Courtenay and maybe luxuriate with a Spa and all the trimmings. It was a delightful short stay and even in winter, or perhaps because it was winter, the Hotel was busy - the Spa and the treatments were well known! At least that is what must have been the case because we couldn't get a booking - other than a great, exhilarating swim in the heated pool... it was that busy. We didn't mind too much. The pool was magical after a day on the slopes.
If you want a great meal, terrific service, book into their onsite Restaurant - you won't be sorry!
The room we had was a family room (because our young grandson came along on this trip with us) - roomy, well furnished, clean, very comfortable and warm - on the ground floor, right on the beach, so our view was of a typical West Coast scene.There were birds, ducks and of course the lapping waves to enjoy from the sliding french doors and that in itself was peaceful and charming. It was refreshing and helped us all get over the last vestiges of having been ill. I appreciated their bath gel, body lotion and shampoo... nothing overwhelming or nauseatingly sweet!
The Reception was manned by friendly young people, ready to assist and good at what they did.
What more could anyone want?

Room Tip: 1. As mentioned, we didn't get to experience their Spa services but given the popularity I expec...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Natasha R, Manager at Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for your review SaGrandma. We are thrilled to hear you had such a wonderful experience with us. Our location is stunning and our amazing staff are by far our best asset. We are sorry to hear you were not able to receive a Spa treatment during your stay. We were very busy over the holidays and continue to be on weekends. We hope you are able to join us again very soon and enjoy all of our wonderful facilities. I always like to recommend booking mid week for extra special deals and available Spa treatments.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

All the best,
Natasha Richardson
Resort Manager
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

I've been to Kingfisher several times in the past but not for a couple of years. The spa and restaurant is fabulous. Staff are great and the food is amazing. Had a great facial by Dee who was great. The Hydropath is always nice. My only not so great comment is that the Oceanview room and the relaxation areas in the spa need updating. The carpets are worn, the furniture is looking tired and worn. Hasn't changed since I first went over 10 years ago. Regardless, this is a fantastic place to R&R

Room Tip: As above, the Oceanview rooms have a great view but need updating. It's really quiet there - ni...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Wanderlust072559
Also consider these accommodations in or near Courtenay
Old House Hotel & Spa
Black Rock Oceanfront Resort
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
#1 of 4 in Central Saanich

Been to Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!