“Poor customer service”

Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Courtenay
“Poor customer service”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I can't believe this place that was recommended to me by several people have someone on the phone with such a bad attitude, poor customer service and judgment. I tried to book a room which their website clearly indicates they have availability and just because I happen to have a promotional voucher I was told no rooms were available and if I wanted to stay I needed to pay more. No options were given and I was treated as if this voucher would make me a less valuable customer for the hotel. To me this voucher was a great opportunity to experience new places and clearly this place showed me that they do not value their customers. I don't understand why this resort offers these vouchers if they do not want to acknowledge the what they offered.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Edith A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We bought a coupon through LivingSocial for $149 for 2 nights with dinner/spa coupons.
When we tried to book a room, we were told all the dates we tried were sold out for using the voucher. However, there are the same type of rooms available in the standard rate and we were told to upgrade by paying $75 per night.
We called several times and tried different dates but the answer was always the same.
We are wondering how many rooms are eligible for using the voucher at a time????
We also felt disguised by the reservation's clerk's pushy attitude.
First of all, if we were to spend $300, we wouldn't book this hotel. That's why we bought this coupon.
If the hotel cannot accommodate the customers in the certain period, they should extend the expiry date so all the customers with the voucher can enjoy the stay which is supposed to be the purpose instead of up-sell.
Now we don't even want to go there because the experience before booking has already made us exhausted and very unhappy.
I don't think they know what the hospitality business is.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Max M
Natasha R, Manager at Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for your feedback Max M. We do apologize that our Ocean View Rooms were sold out on the dates you were hoping to stay with us and that one of our reservation agents were not able to assist you. Your Living Social voucher does not expire and we would very much like to have you join us to be able to take advantage of this great deal! If you could contact our Guest Services Manager, Sarah Chase, directly at the Resort, she will be happy to assist you personally to find a date that will work for you. Please call us toll-free at 1-800-663-7929 and ask to speak with Sarah Chase. She is looking forward to receiving your call.

We look forward to welcoming you to the Kingfisher Resort soon!

Natasha Richardson,
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Great place for a quiet getaway and not on the shopping centre trail. There is everything you need for a quick getaway

. The staff are very helpful and the food is good. We were there for a wedding a few years ago and everything was done well and there was plenty of on site conveniences for the guests between the festivities. When I went with my friend we just went for lunch and a good walk on the beach. It is a great spot for a quiet walk. The food is very good and they have a good selection. The only difficulty I would think of is you either have to take the ferry and drive there or fly and rent a car as its off the beaten path. But once you are there you really don't have to go anywhere else

Room Tip: We had a beautiful room down by the water when we were there for Patties wedding. It had a separate...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Almost every thing was great. Staff was friendly and really tried to make everything perfect. My only complaint was that my group which was six women aged around 50 years went for a hot tub with a few with wine in plastic glasses. We were stopped at the door and it was all confiscated, even the girls with just water. All of a sudden I felt like a scorned child. We also had a noise complaint and were told to "keep it down" at 9: 20 PM in the hot tub! Disappointing for a place that's trying to be classy.

Room Tip: Book ahead to get a water view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lisa S
Thank you so much for your feedback Lisa S. I am very sorry to hear that your group were made to feel like scored children when you came to enjoy our hot tub and outdoor pool. Our liquor license prohibits alcohol consumption in the spa and out door pool facilities, which is why you were not allowed to proceed with your beverages, however, I will follow up with the team in the spa to make sure we communicate our policies in a more appropriate manner. As well, the same courtesy should have been applied when your group was asked to consider other guests enjoying the facilities and adjust the noise volume. It can be challenging to balance every guests needs and our Kingfisher team is trained to address each guest concern both courteously and professionally, so please accept my apologies that your group did not have this experience.

We hope you and your group will join us again in the future and I feel confident we will exceed your expectations with our guest service. Thank you again for your feedback.

Natasha Richardson
Courtenay,B.C.
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We rode our bikes here for a quiet getaway. The weather was beautiful and we lounged around the pool. We got a great deal from Travel Zoo and felt we got good value for our money. We also had a nice meal in the restaurant.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I went to the Kingfisher after hearing of how great it was for the past 10 years from my mother. I was not disappointed! My best friend and I went away for a relaxing weekend, we arrived late on a rainy day to a warm genuine welcome by super friendly staff! After the quick run down and tips, we went t our room. We opened the door to a beautiful smell and a HEATED room! Which after a cold drive was much appreciated.

The room was simple but very clean, with what looked like fresh paint on the walls and some small seaside embellishes which tied it together. The room from our large windows was gorgeous!! The ocean and fog... Just the sound of it was soothing.

At first I joked that it was a cult because everyone walked around in robes to and from the spa and pool, but it was wonderful! Staff was incredible, treatments were amazing, if you ever go there you MUST try the west coast hydro path! I'm going again in January ( I bought an online deal for very cheap!) and I'm going to go again and make sure I do that twice!

The restaurant on site was beautiful and delicious, well worth the price for a special occasion.

The outdoor heated pool is awesome on a rainy night!! I totally recommend going!

Room Tip: Ask if ocean view means on the water or just a view!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We recently spend a long weekend here. Booked the romantic room option. That gives you a tub that mostly fits two (it wasn't long enough for both of us to be fully wet), a gas fireplace, shower for two and a king bed. As well a nice patio overlooking the beach. All in all, perfect for the two of us to hole up and spend some time together. We also had a kitchenette with electric burner, microwave, starbucks coffee and coffeepot and two sets of dishware. We ate breakfast and tapas lunches in our room (by choice) and went out for dinner. Saved a ton of money that way. The restaurant is very nice for dinner. Think pricey long relaxing dinner. Entrees were ~$30. Worth it though, the food was great. I think the Sunday Buffet was $30/head, we didn't do that.

The spa is very nicely done. The Hydropath is interesting. Hard to explain but you really should experience it. The Hydropath then massage is what we did. Book early! They are busy. We wanted to do the Hydropath again but they were fully booked for the whole long weekend.

As a guest of the hotel part you can use the pool, hot tub, dry sauna and steam cave. Great option indeed. We spend many hours lazing around in the various pool/tub/steam cave.

Well worth the drive up from Vancouver for a nice relaxing long weekend away.

Room Tip: Spend the extra couple bucks to get the front building rooms. The back building rooms maybe be less...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dave D
Natasha R, Manager at Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
We are thrilled to hear about your enjoyable stay with us Dave D! It sounds like you were able to experience the romantic weekend getaway we are proud to provide. Thank you for your feedback and review. We love hearing about our guest's experiences.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Natasha Richardson
Resort Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Courtenay
Old House Hotel & Spa
Painter's Lodge
#2 of 16 in Campbell River
Beach Club Resort - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts
Black Rock Oceanfront Resort

Been to Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!