“a wonderful getaway”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Courtenay
Vancouver, BC
“a wonderful getaway”
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We stayed at this resort as we were going to a wedding during the holiday weekend. From the moment we arrived we were warmly greeted by the front desk and all staff we encountered with during our stay, from housekeeping, dining and spa seemed genuinely attentive and happy to be at work. We noticed that this resort was awarded one of the best work places and it certainly shows. The grounds of the resort are beautifully maintained and the views of the ocean from the rooms are lovely. Our room was on the second floor, coffee and tea and a small fridge was nice to have. All rooms on the second floor have lovely views of the ocean and the only negative I would have to say is that the patios are very close together and there is no privacy from adjoining units, so that you can look into your neighbor's unit and hear everything they are saying if you are on the patio. The management probably didn't want to put any barriers up so that everything is open and everyone can enjoy the view, so I don't know what else they can do to remedy this situation. We did the Pacific Mist Hydropath, which they are well known for. Both my husband and myself found the treament refreshing and relaxing and would definitely recommend it for something unique. We ate at the restaurant one night for dinner and for the Sunday breakfast buffet. Both meals were excellent and we felt very reasonably priced. The Sunday breakfast buffet had a wonderful assortment of hot and cold foods, seafood, fruits and cereals and is well worth the price. The resort caters to adults and even though we saw a few children, there is not much for children to do there. Atmosphere is relaxed and you are encouraged to even wear your bathroom from the spa for your meals in the dining room if you wish. The resort is pretty quiet after 10 pm
Would definitely go back if the opportunity arises!

Room Tip: second floor rooms for best views
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Nanaimo, BC
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Great spa, and showers, property is wonderful, right on the ocean, love this place.
Had a great dinner on the deck with room service.
All in all a great time, we do this every year.
the only thing I dislike is smokers on the same level and the wind blows
the smoke right over to our patio. Smokers should be banned from
patios.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
georgia
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My husband and I traveled to Vancouver Island for this year's summer vacation, traveling throughout the Island during the course of a week. We spent two days in Victoria and before traveling over to Ucluelet on the west coast we wanted to venture a little further north on the east coast traveling to the Courtenay area.
I found the Kingfisher Resort on the official Explore British Columbia site and checked it out on Tripadvisor as well. We were not traveling to the Kingfisher for the Spa's service but just a one night stopover so I cannot speak to its main attraction.
I did find the check in staff a little matter of fact, not the most welcoming in graciousness ( but this coming from a southerner). I did find the rather worn roof shingles used to cover the outdoor stairs a little disconcerting. I can understand the need for traction in wet and cold environment but they need to replace and update the shingle tread stair covering.
When we got to our room we found several black carpenter dead at the doorway. The furnishing were a bit tired. The view was of the pool, the roof of the spa and eventually the ocean inlet. We also noted several living black ants now making their way up the wall...by the time I called the desk about the ants, we had killed 12. The girl at the desk explained that they had not gotten their shipment of ant traps and offered to move us down to the first floor but I figured if bugs were a problem on the 2nd floor, I didn't want to take my chances.
The restaurant was a delight . The food, presentation and staff made up for the room full of ants. The view is beautiful, relaxing and calming. I just hated that we had to go back to the room of ants.
For a one night stay, it was okay---the food was out of this world but the facilities need to be updated and uplifted for sure. At check out the hotel did waiver $50 off of the bill due to our trouble with the ants which we greatly appreciated,
My suggestions, just tread with a little caution.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Van
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Kingfisher is the perfect place for a girls-only getaway or a romantic trip! I've been to the property three times in the past few years, and it has never let me down. In fact, the experience is always magical and memorable.

My most recent visit was just this past month, to celebrate a good friend's birthday. There were seven gals in our party, and we booked the Denman Suite, which includes two adjoining rooms, three double beds (one that pulls down from the wall), and a pull-out sofa bed. Each room also had a small kitchenette, although we hardly cooked because the Kingfisher restaurant was so tasty and appealing!

All of us enjoyed the Hydropath, which is one of the most unique spa experiences I've ever had. You get to spend 1.5 hours in a specially designed water world with special waterfall showers, eucalyptus steam sauna, salt scrub bath, and more. Extremely relaxing. Many of us fell asleep in the relaxation room afterward.

The pool area is great for suntanning. There are also lounge chairs set up near the pebble beach for sunning too. Needless to say, the view is amazing. Nothing quite like it.

I love food and can't write a review without mentioning it! Kingfisher's brunch was simply to-die-for! Our spread was huge - we almost ordered everything on the menu. My favourite was the brioche french toast with strawberries and brie. The West Coast benny was equally as good with the egg cooked to perfection. The bacon was crispy yet not oily. Dinner was delicious, and the star was definitely the maki roll. The best experience had to be the Sunday buffet, with all the seafood you can imagine, an omelet station, breakfast goodies, fresh fruit, salad (orzo being my fav), seafood chowder, dessert bar, and so much more.

All-in-all, it was a fabulous trip. I wouldn't hesitate to go back or recommend Kingfisher.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank greenjade08
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My girlfriends and I decided to leave the city behind and have a nice relaxing girls getaway for my brithday at the Kingfisher Resort and man did I have a hard time coming home. The highlight of the trip was definitely a toss up between the AMAZING hydropath spa or the delicious meals we had at the restaurant there. The room we had was spacious and clean. It looks a little old from the outside, but it looks like the inside was renovated not too long ago and has a modern relaxed feel to it. The bathrooms were spotless ( very important for girls getaway! ), and the view was spectacular. We were steps way from the ocean and our patio overlooked the water. We even got to see all these bald eagles sitting on the rocks!

2 nights was definitely not enough at this beautiful resort and I will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank duckygal82
Richmond,BC
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Back for the second time to the Kingfisher. My husband went for business reasons and I went along and had a day at the spa. It was wonderful!! Both times there have been the best massages I have ever had and the smoothie was great too. We stayed in an Orca Suite which was beautiful, quiet and relaxing with wonderful views over the bay. Really the whole experience was a luxurious restful time. We will be back!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Amazing views of water, great facilities. Only comment is that some amenities are in need of renovation. Was here 4.5 years ago and it doesn't seem like anything has been upgraded.

• Stayed July 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Courtenay
Old House Hotel & Spa
Painter's Lodge
#2 of 16 in Campbell River
Beach Club Resort - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts
Black Rock Oceanfront Resort

Been to Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!