“Consistent Excellence”

Locals Restaurant at the Old House
Ranked #1 of 141 Restaurants in Courtenay
Cuisines: Seafood, Healthy, Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Locals Restaurant in now located at the historic Old House along the river in the center of town. This 1937 Arts and Crafts era inspired homestead is the perfect location for the fine cuisine prepared by European trained chef, Ronald St. Pierre.
“Consistent Excellence”
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

We were prior customers at their previous location. We've eaten at the new spot three times and have had consistently excellent food, drinks and service. The tastes are well balanced, portions appropriate and service friendly but not intrusive. They are the leader of the restaurants in the Valley.

1 Thank Villatravel

British Columbia, Canada
“a new location”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

this restaurant moved here last may, but it was our 1st time here. we had our 1st meal at locals only last year at their old site and we were very happy with our meal. an odd site, however, they did the best they could. and now! one gets an amazing building to have their meal in. we used to come here when it was called "the old house" and loved it, however that was years ago. it has been renovated and updated and they retained the feel of that lovely place. certainly enjoyed being a lot warmer than it used to feel. they have tripled? the seating, and kept the great service and attention to detail. I am very happy with the move and I will be back as soon as I can! congrats on your "new" spot!

• Visited January 2014
Comox, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Food, But............the Service”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Our second time at Locals and as always, wonderful food, fresh, hot and prepared just right. A great location with a wonderful ambiance, the biggest disappointment on both occasions, was the lack-luster service. During both of our dinning experience's we were met with surely, unhelpful "servers" who just didn't seem to want to there and treated the customers as unwelcome distractions. Whether it was the inability to fill up an empty water glass or coffee cup, the lack of knowledge concerning menu and wine cellar, or forcing the customer wait 20 plus minutes just to pay the bill, this establishment simply does not have what it takes to provide quality service to guests. This unfortunately detracts from an otherwise fine dining experience and is something that management should move quickly to correct. There are many great restaurants in the Comox Valley which provide fine food and excellent service, sadly Locals is not yet one of them.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Zubian
Tricia S, Owner at Locals Restaurant at the Old House, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Hello Zubian,
\I am very concerned about the negative experiece you had a Locals, ans as the owner, I would like to have an opportunity to learn more. We pride ourselves on offering excellent service and I am most concerned. Please feel free to contact me as I would appreciate knowing about when you were in. As you can see from our other reiews, your experience falls far short of our norm. My sincere apologies!
Trica St. Pierre
250-338-6493
Vancouver, Canada
“Delicious!”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

A gem in the North.

We tried Locals during an overnight stay and were very pleased. Locals has a woodsy ambience and a bit of a log cabin feel to it.

They held and varied menu and a decent cocktail and drink menu. Between the group, we tried the Bison Tenderloin (absolutely fantastic - my compliments to the chef), the 10 oz New York, the Pulled Pork tart and finally the Seafood Bouillabase.

With the exception of the bouillabase which the diner found quite bland, everything else was exceptional.

Pricewise is on average with most restaurants serving high end fare. Entrees are in the range of $25-35 with cocktails, drinks and wine ranging in price from $6 to 12.

We enjoyed our experience at Locals and would definitely recommend it.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank riz513ca
BC
“Gorgeous Setting”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I love the setting of Locals patio. It's big, and west-coasty, and perfect for a lunch with friends or your lover.
We went for our anniversary in July and had drinks and dinner. I had the mixed seafood hot pot dish, and my bf had the halibut dinner. Both were good, not amazing like Locals used to be, but pretty yummy. We had cheesecake for desert, which was very good.
For drinks I had a cocktail which I though was over priced for what it was.. $9, only one ounce of booze mixed.
I will go back to Locals because I love the atmosphere. And the service is very good!!!

• Visited July 2013