“#1 Gastronomical Destination”

Locals Restaurant at the Old House
Ranked #1 of 144 Restaurants in Courtenay
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Locals Restaurant in now located at the historic Old House along the river in the center of town. This 1937 Arts and Crafts era inspired homestead is the perfect location for the fine cuisine prepared by European trained chef, Ronald St. Pierre.
Camrose, Canada
“#1 Gastronomical Destination”
Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I flew out to the Island and wanted to take my parents out for a special dinner. We were totally blown away by this amazing dining experience! Not only was the food spectacular (better by far than the meal I had in London this fall at Petrus) but the ambience and wonderful staff were a delight! Thank you for making this experience so very memorable....we will be back.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Tracy B

Comox, Canada
“Great food but noisy”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I love Locals. The food is excellent, service great. You can add 'ditto' from me to all the accolades. However.....I have had lunch twice in the restaurant, once downstairs and once upstairs. And the noise level from the happy customers made it very difficult to hear my own friends speak. My companions and I talked about this yesterday and they concurred. We had to lean in to hear each other. We are all familiar with eating at the original Old House and we do not recall sound ever being an issue. We are curious as to why it is now. Have other diners experienced the same? I would be very reluctant to take an elderly person there because the loud chatter is a distraction.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank FrancesJen
Tricia S, Owner at Locals Restaurant at the Old House, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
I am pleased that you took the time to post a reveiw. I appreciate your comments. We have had some consultation in this regard. and are looking to improve the noise level. That said, we appreciate it when customers ask for a quieter spot, as we will do our best to seat people where it is quietest. However, it is holiday season and people are noiser and visitiong more, especially on week ends.
Nanaimo, Canada
“Superb”
Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

Dined here last night for the first time and it will not be the last time. Building and room are very attractive. The menu is surprisingly large with a wide variety. Our server was excellent as well. The highlight was definitely the entrees. My wife's New York steak was very tender, delicious and perfectly cooked. I had the venison which was so buttery soft and the accompanying sauce was perfect. We don't get away from our busy lives very often so this really was a delight.

1 Thank Foodlover863
Parksville, Canada
“A Perfect Spot for a Perfect Restaurant”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

You would have to travel a long way to even come near to what this restaurant offers .
The charm of the location is unmatched in the mid and upper island .
The chef is superb , and the food is fresh , well presented and delicious .
We sat in front of a cozy fireplace , in an extremely lovely room .
The staff is well trained , and very pleasant and welcoming .
All in all , this is the perfect spot for a special occasion , or any occasion !

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank Vanc0uverIslanders
Tricia S, Owner at Locals Restaurant at the Old House, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Hello neighbors to the south!
Thank you for taking the time to write such a generous review. We LOVE our new location! It has been a joy to decorate this old house. Even though we have been extremely busy during the holiday season, it is good to hear that we are still meeting the high standards we strive to maintain!!
Tricia St. Pierre
Courtenay, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“fantastic food and service”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is my favorite restaurant. My husband and I travel quite a bit, and love to dine out when doing so. We've eaten in many fine European restaurants, and really appreciate that Locals offers up the sort of dining experience we have come to appreciate. We expect not to be rushed, and appreciate the European style meal pacing. The food and ambiance at Locals are superb.
Go for the evening - relax and savour the experience.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Rita A
Hello Rita,
Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate that a well traveled foodie such as yourself enjoys our cooking and service. We typically offer 2 1/2 hours for dinner, which it much longer than most restaurants. We want people to DINE!! Sometimes people feel the service is a litlle slow, but we try to pace the meal so that every course can be enjoyed. It is always good to let us know if you have a time constraint such as a show or plane to catch!!
Thank you for your generosity and continued patronage!
Tricia St. PIerre