“fantastic food and service”

Locals Restaurant at the Old House
Ranked #1 of 145 Restaurants in Courtenay
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Locals Restaurant in now located at the historic Old House along the river in the center of town. This 1937 Arts and Crafts era inspired homestead is the perfect location for the fine cuisine prepared by European trained chef, Ronald St. Pierre.
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is my favorite restaurant. My husband and I travel quite a bit, and love to dine out when doing so. We've eaten in many fine European restaurants, and really appreciate that Locals offers up the sort of dining experience we have come to appreciate. We expect not to be rushed, and appreciate the European style meal pacing. The food and ambiance at Locals are superb.
Go for the evening - relax and savour the experience.

1  Thank Rita A
Tricia S, Owner at Locals Restaurant at the Old House, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Hello Rita,
Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate that a well traveled foodie such as yourself enjoys our cooking and service. We typically offer 2 1/2 hours for dinner, which it much longer than most restaurants. We want people to DINE!! Sometimes people feel the service is a litlle slow, but we try to pace the meal so that every course can be enjoyed. It is always good to let us know if you have a time constraint such as a show or plane to catch!!
Thank you for your generosity and continued patronage!
Tricia St. PIerre

There are newer reviews for Locals Restaurant at the Old House

Reviewed November 30, 2013

During 6 weeks of touring in BC we visited Locals twice and found it to be one of the best restaurants we visited in 6 weeks. Our first visit was on a Saturday night and it was full but they put us into a small corner alcove and we had a wonderful meal. When we finished the owner's wife said that she would drive us back to the Holiday Inn so we did not have to walk that very dark pathway. The service was far better than we would expect at home so we said we would go again a week later on our way down to Victoria.
A week later on our way south we went on a Sunday night with no reservation and were seated in the same area and the service and food were as good as our first visit.
Locals is a great restaurant and we would love to have a restaurant as good in Western Australia.
To Ronald and your wife Tricia, we thank you.

Tricia S, Owner at Locals Restaurant at the Old House, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Hello Fellow Foodies from Perth,
You were a joy to serve! It is wonderful to receive high praise from seasoned travelers such as yourselves. I hope you had fun discovering our little island in the Pacific Northwest. We do have the most amazing food products to work with, from the land, sea and air. Glad to hear you arrived home safely. Thank you for taking the time to share your experince. Till the next time.......
Tricia St. PIerre

Reviewed November 29, 2013

I recently ate at Locals, my first time since they moved to the new location by the river. I can remember growing up that the Old House was 'the place' to eat in town. Since those days (I think the chef was Swiss) back in the late 70s and through the 80s, the restaurant has gone through many changes, most of which were not good. It's nice to finally see a quality establishment back in the Old House location. My meal was great - steak with blue cheese and trimmings with some wine from Beaufort Winery. Congrats on the new location and I'll be back.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

I was so surprised & thrilled to enjoy the food & ambiance of Locals. It was for a birthday dinner & I had come by earlier with balloons & such. The table was all adorned when we arrived. Timing of the cake and candles was perfect with no cue from me to bring it out. Just fantastic!!

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Just returned from a 3 day "girls retreat" in the Courtenay/Comox area of beautiful Vancouver Island. We had been somewhat disappointed by the quality of the food at the resort where we currently were staying and decided to do some restaurant and resort shopping for our next trip. Stumbled upon "Locals" as we were checking out the Spa and Hotel next door in Courtenay. Being tired from shopping etc. by mid afternoon, we decided to give it a try. Best decision of the trip! The ambiance of the log style restaurant with beautiful, lit up Christmas tree at the front door to greet you was so inviting. We were ushered to a table for four beside the fireplace, which we appreciated, as we were chilled and could warm up and relax We chose the Raclette Cheese with Mixed Greens salad, as it wasn't dinner time yet, so just wanted something light. The salad was heavenly, exceptional presentation, mixed greens served with veggie garnishes, topped with warm Raclette cheese and strips of apples sauteed in a sweet sauce. Tucked away under the cheese was a little walnut bread and lavender jelly. As soon as I saw the presentation and tasted the quality of our food, I said to my friends "this has to be the chef that we all loved who previously worked at the resort we were staying at" as their quality of food had dropped considerably on this stay. I asked our waitress and she said "yes", it is chef Ronald St. Pierre. and that he and his wife bought this restaurant several years ago. Finding him again was so exciting and pleasurable! Will definitely be coming back for many more creative, delicious meals! We ended the lunch with a piece of Forget-Me-Not Chocolate Cake which was "to die for". German chocolate layer cake with semi-sweet mousse centre topped with coconut pecan icing!. Fantastic overall dining experience from the ambiance of the restaurant itself, to the friendly and knowledgable staff and the best chef ever!

1  Thank mpretula