“Enjoyable experience”

Locals Restaurant at the Old House
Ranked #1 of 147 Restaurants in Courtenay
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Locals Restaurant in now located at the historic Old House along the river in the center of town. This 1937 Arts and Crafts era inspired homestead is the perfect location for the fine cuisine prepared by European trained chef, Ronald St. Pierre.
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Excellent service and meal. Everyone we have talked to that has dined at this restaurant has voiced the same opinion as we have.

1  Thank Dennis P

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Locals honours their commitment to serve local foods and Chef/Owner Ronald St. Pierre has mastered his culinary skills in doing so. Our meal was outstanding, with each serving a beautiful and sensory-rich creation. Our server, Bailey, was most pleasant and well-informed with her excellent recommendations for menu selections. The setting is lovely, with an option for outdoor courtyard dining. We highly recommend Locals.

1  Thank Lauren G
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I had lunch here with my mum today. I grew up on the island so have fond memories of the Old House, while it's sad to see they've let the grounds go a bit, the food, ambiance and service were wonderful. The lunch menu is well price, the serving sizes plentiful and the service was prompt. No complaints here, mum has said she'll be back.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Saturday morning and although the restaurant recommended reservations, our group of five were almost alone. I hope this is just because Locals has not been open long in this location. The epimonious old house is such a delightful location with the historic architecture and wonderful grounds, it's a pity restauranteers have come and gone. Nevertheless, I think the chef / owner of Locals has made a good choice in location. Much better than the former strip mall site.
Three of our party had the salmon crepes which were wonderfully tasty and not at all overly rich and filling. The fresh greens with a vinairette dressing were odd as a breakfast side and none of the three of us cared for this selection although we would have appreciated its freshness as a luncheon item. Two of us had the fluffy buttermilk pancakes with carmelized bananas and Tannadice farm bacon. Those two have the smallest appetites of the three of us and while they almost polished off the entire portion, they left enough for sampling by the rest of us. Superb! Note that the long rectangular plates are a bit awkward to eat off.
Service was superb. Prices reasonable given the selection of ingredients close to, if not within, a 100 mile radius.
Here's hoping the Comox Valley locals will help Locals make a success of the Old House location.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I visited this restaurant because of the terrible breakfast I was served earlier. I decided to choose the top rated restaurant in town to avoid any further disappointment. Didn’t happen. This restaurant is truly lovely. I ordered seafood chowder to start. It was quite flavorful but so overly salted that I couldn’t eat even half of it. I ordered fish as my main course. It was terrible. It was served literally “raw”. It stunk like a fish you pull right out of the water and was so slimy. I did enjoy the vegetables. They were great. . $70+ and I left her totally unsatisfied and still hungry. After using this site to choose over 100 restaurants to dine at around the Island, I have had 2 horrible meals in 1 day. I will choose tomorrow’s restaurants using some other system, I am sure.

Tricia S, Owner at Locals Restaurant at the Old House, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

As one of the owners of Locals Restaurant at the Old House, I am very sorry to hear of your poor experience dining with us. We take pride in our food and service and are very concerned when people's experience falls short of expectations. I have taken your complaints forward to the Chef. I hope that your server was made aware of your concerns at the time so that we could make an immediate correction for you.