“Worth the drive "up island"”

Locals Restaurant at the Old House
Ranked #1 of 149 Restaurants in Courtenay
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Locals Restaurant in now located at the historic Old House along the river in the center of town. This 1937 Arts and Crafts era inspired homestead is the perfect location for the fine cuisine prepared by European trained chef, Ronald St. Pierre.
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This renovated, historic home is immediately inviting, as is the restaurant's staff. The decor is "up scale" turn of the 20th century. The food is primarily sourced from within 100 KM of the property with seafood a high priority.
It is well worth a drive to experience this unique dining experience.

1  Thank Reklaw252

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I am finding it hard to believe that there is only one other poor review of this restaurant. This was our third try and it will be the last.(all three trips for lunch...I won`t spend $200 on dinner until I have a decent lunch) Service is indifferent at best, with no quality check and no personality at all...take the order, bring it, leave. Our water glasses sat empty for over half the time we were there and so did our drinks. We order the Tuna Tataki appy and I swear there wasn`t even 2 oz of fish on the plate...barely a taste, My wife order the onion tart and it was just sad....the presentation actually made her go "oh" in a disappointed voice as it was put down in front of her, the plate looked unfinished, just the tart plopped on top of the arugala. It was just bland and boring. According to the menu, it comes with homemade plum jelly, nowhere to be found, and as there was no quality check....never got the opportunity to get it, not that it would have saved the dish.The crust was crumbly dry and tasteless. It sad when the best thing about her lunch was the salad dressing. Myself, I had the Green Curry, and it was fine...but nothing special.With the reputation this place has, I keep expecting to take a bite of something and go " WOW". Three trips, no wow. The prices are high, I don't mind to pay for good food, but what I have gotten is always mediocre at best. We tried the much talked about Fish Market chowder on a previous occasion and it was bland as could be...the seafood was perfectly cooked, but it didn't taste like anything... We love to eat out and love good food, sadly there is very little for us to recommend here, other than the venue itself. We really wanted to love this place...but three strikes and you're out.

6  Thank deeferdog2
Reviewed May 21, 2013

What a great menu of dishes using local foods. I loved the Fanny Bay oysters and the fresh scallops while my partner had the fresh fish. The desserts looked delicious but we did not have room!! Highly recommended!

1  Thank SusieQ101
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Have been to Locals twice over past couple of days for breakfast and lunch. Varied menu with something for everyone including vegetarians and wheat free options. Service was very good and meals were excellent. Old building is charming.

2  Thank KERRY W
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We visited Locals for my husband's birthday treat. The atmosphere was nice but by the end of the meal we left rather quickly as the noise level had escalated to a very high level even for two people with severe hearing loss. We were served a spoonful of a small appetizer to start. Then came the basket of warm tasty brown bread with a special thick butter spread. I eat gluten free so I asked for a slice of gluten free bread and it came hot and toasted. I ordered the halibut done in a green curry sauce, just the right amount of sauce and extremely tasty. My husband ordered the seafood pasta dish and said it had a lovely flavour to it. We then ordered a dessert to share and I think it was some sort of parfait with a berry sauce, a disappointment especially for the price. We were served a chocolate truffle upon receiving our dinner bill. The price for the 2 dinners, no drinks, not even a coffee was $66.00 plus a tip, bringing the total to $76.00. We thought it was expensive but then again we usually don't eat at high end places. In summary, our dinners were, we obviously chose the wrong dessert as it was not so good. It is hard to choose a dessert for a diabetic.