“Very tasty food and just the right portion size”

Locals Restaurant at the Old House
Ranked #1 of 150 Restaurants in Courtenay
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Locals Restaurant in now located at the historic Old House along the river in the center of town. This 1937 Arts and Crafts era inspired homestead is the perfect location for the fine cuisine prepared by European trained chef, Ronald St. Pierre.
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We visited Locals for my husband's birthday treat. The atmosphere was nice but by the end of the meal we left rather quickly as the noise level had escalated to a very high level even for two people with severe hearing loss. We were served a spoonful of a small appetizer to start. Then came the basket of warm tasty brown bread with a special thick butter spread. I eat gluten free so I asked for a slice of gluten free bread and it came hot and toasted. I ordered the halibut done in a green curry sauce, just the right amount of sauce and extremely tasty. My husband ordered the seafood pasta dish and said it had a lovely flavour to it. We then ordered a dessert to share and I think it was some sort of parfait with a berry sauce, a disappointment especially for the price. We were served a chocolate truffle upon receiving our dinner bill. The price for the 2 dinners, no drinks, not even a coffee was $66.00 plus a tip, bringing the total to $76.00. We thought it was expensive but then again we usually don't eat at high end places. In summary, our dinners were, we obviously chose the wrong dessert as it was not so good. It is hard to choose a dessert for a diabetic.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Wow amd wow again. Vancouver Islanders all loved The Old House in days gone by. Then the new hotel and various underwhelming restaurants tried to make a go. Now, all is as it should be. A fabulous restaurant, with attentive but unintrusive service, in the best location. All cooked to order so they can take care of any special dietary needs. Love it.

1  Thank qbc
Tricia S, Owner at Locals Restaurant at the Old House, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review. We are very excited with our new location. We have been here just a week and are beginning to feel more at home. We have more than doubled our staff and are settling in to the new space. The deck is amazing and we can hardly wait for a little sunshine. The response to our renovations to this historic building has been wonderful. We have been packed almost every night with so many people who are thrilled to see this beautiful old building looking spiffy again.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

We had the pleasure of dining at Locals on one of the first days in their new "Old House" location. Not having been to the original Old House, I can only say that Locals has done an extraordinary job of creating a warm and inviting environment in keeping with the heritage of the building, bringing it back again to a superb dining destination in the Comox Valley. The patio is also very beautiful and we're looking forward to many visits to it in the coming months!

As always the staff were warm, welcoming and very professional, and our server was knowledgeable about the food we were served. Highlights of our meal included the unique and very satisfying fish market chowder, the raclette cheese and apple salad, and the island scallops finished with the fennel, smoked bacon and honey butter (so good!). And locals' pastry chef has a hands down winner with her short crust pie of the day (that day was blueberry rhubarb, YUM!), accompanied by absolutely delicious lavender gelato.

We particularly like the fact that Locals promotes and supports the local farming community and incorporates their products in so much of their menu. Locals is true to their name and we feel very lucky to have such superior dining in the Comox Valley. We will definitely be enjoying many great meals with them this summer, and beyond!

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We travel a lot on Vancouver Island, and we eat at a lot of pretty special places. None of them has equalled the calibre of the wonderful food and great service at Locals. We have eaten many meals at this outstanding restaurant, and look forward to joining the staff at Locals soon at their new location at The Old House.

1  Thank qualicumfoodie
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I have never written a review; but after our horrible experience at Locals I felt something needed to be said.

We took our mother here for Mother's Day. The restaurant was not busy as we arrived just after they had opened. The restaurant itself is beautiful and it was wonderful to see The Old House restored to it's original glory.

Upon entering the restaurant the staff did not seem very happy, not a good sign. We waited for our wine to arrive for almost 15 minutes after our order had been placed, lunch finally arrived over 1/2 hour after being ordered. Presentation was very pretty. Unfortunately that is where any complements end.

The Chicken Thai Curry was utterly tasteless, the chicken overcooked and dry, very little sauce and the rice was so overcooked it was like a glop of mushy goop.

The Bison Pizza was a 4" pizza with 12 tiny paper thin pieces of pepperoni (I am assuming Bison pepperoni) and a tiny side dish of pesto pasta salad, for $15.00! My son equivocated it to a Pillsbury frozen pizza with a crust that tasted like it cardboard. The expectation of a Bison Pizza was that there would be pieces of Bison steak on the pizza not slivers of Bison pepperoni; rather misleading description on the menu. My son asked for some bread as he was starving after his few bites of pizza. No problem; but it is a dollar a slice......AND it was burnt!

After all the raves I had read about Locals at it's previous location AND the more recent reviews I was so looking forward to enjoying a meal at their new location. I cannot tell you how disappointed we were.

The staff did not help the dining experience either. They seemed to be quite miserable to say the least. Upon leaving Locals, not ONE of the eight staff that we passed on the way out wished my mum or I a happy Mothers Day, nor did they say good bye or thank you for coming, nothing, not even a smile.

By far the most disappointing dining experience of my life and I have had some doozies in my days. My mum wants to give it another shot; but after spending over 20.00/person (not including drinks) I think there are many other restaurants in Comox that are far more worth my hard earned dollars.

Save your money and try Toscano's or the Black Fin or anywhere else.

3  Thank Kath1960
Tricia S, Owner at Locals Restaurant at the Old House, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Hello Kath,
I would just like to mention that your "review" contained many untruths and misinformation. As well, it is hard to take this review seriously when looking at your history of 35 restaurant reviews being posted on one day. TripAdvisor is a wonderful tool, but can also be a dangerous weapon when misused.