“Wonderful meal”

Locals Restaurant at the Old House
Ranked #1 of 145 Restaurants in Courtenay
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Locals Restaurant in now located at the historic Old House along the river in the center of town. This 1937 Arts and Crafts era inspired homestead is the perfect location for the fine cuisine prepared by European trained chef, Ronald St. Pierre.
Reviewed April 25, 2013

It was another great meal. I was surprised though when shortly after we were seated a table immediately next to us become occupied with 2 very young children, I don't think one of the children was even 2 years old. The parents made many efforts to keep the youngest quiet but the sudden screams did not make pleasant ambience. There were so many empty tables much further away I was disturbed that the family was not seated away from the currently seated tables, We were gone within 1 1/2 hours and there were only 5 tables occupied at that time. This is the last visit before Locals makes their move next week to a new location, I look forward to returning then.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Excellent menu relying on local produce. Everything is well prepared and presented. The clam chowder is the BEST. Staff are very professional and knowledgeable. Highly recommended for both lunch and dinner.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Wonderful experience, food and atmosphere was great. Very fresh food. Will surely
recommend to friends and will go back next time in town.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

This was my first visit to Local's. I have been hearing raves about this place for some time. It will get a mixed review from me. The atmosphere was lovely. I enjoyed being in the space. I had the Fish Market Chowder which was just "to-die-for". OMG it was soooo good. The veggies also were just excellent. There were at least 10 different veggies on the plate. The fish, however, did not please me at all. I ordered sablefish charbroiled. It arrived barely lukewarm with absolutely no trace of "char". It was wet, slimy and seriously undercooked in my opinion. While telling one of my friends about my 'fishy' experience, she said "This is the new 'trendy' way to serve fish, isn't it awful? Well, trends can be what they are. I like my fish prepared in a more classic manner. When I order charbroiled I expect to see char and I like my food hot. I will probably try this place again based on the excellent soup and veggies. I won't order fish.

1  Thank Alex A
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We returned for another meal. Excellent food, excellent service. No complaints. Of course this is an expensive place to eat, but you know that going in...

1  Thank FarrantFamily