“Incredible experience for your taste buds!!!”

Locals Restaurant at the Old House
Ranked #1 of 149 Restaurants in Courtenay
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Locals Restaurant in now located at the historic Old House along the river in the center of town. This 1937 Arts and Crafts era inspired homestead is the perfect location for the fine cuisine prepared by European trained chef, Ronald St. Pierre.
Reviewed September 30, 2011

We were in Courtenay for a week on vacation and went to this restaurant twice, that is how much we loved this restaurant. The quality of food and taste was incredible.
The service and the owners were GREAT. Thank-you for two great meals!!!

Reviewed September 28, 2011

We had a special dinner at Locals and savoured every mouthful. We don't usually splurge on appetizers, but the Duck and Vegetable rolls with duck confit and vegetables wrapped in rice paper tempted me. I was not disappointed. The whole meal was fabulous but the duck rolls were over the top. The Seafood Bouillabaise included delicious seafood but also an amazing array of nine or ten local vegetables cooked to perfection. The Huckleberry Cheesecake combined huckleberries and lemon to make a delicious and light dessert. My husband loved the chocloate truffle cake. Our bill came with a fresh chocolate covered strawberry, which we managed to find room for. It was an expensive dinner, but good food costs money so we felt we got excellent value. Although we decided on a more expensive option, they did have a special which included all three courses at a more reasonable price. The service in the restaurant was perfect too.

Reviewed September 25, 2011

We were celebrating a significant birthday on our first visit to the Comox Valley and Locals had been recommended to us as the best quality food available. The meal was absolutely incredible from start to finish. The tables were well placed to allow a sense of privacy and the service was a perfect balance of attentiveness and discretion. We decided to go straight for a main course (so we would have room for dessert). Before the main we were given a mise en bouche of smoked tuna with dill and fromage frais on toasted pumpernickel, also local bread and a bean and pepper spread - all delicious. Mains were beautifully presented and flavoured to perfection, each came with at least 9 different local vegetables, again all perfectly cooked. I had halibut in one of the signature sauces - I chose the one with local mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and goat cheese cream - the taste was heavenly. My husband had a pulled pork dish which was fall-apart tender and delicious. For dessert I had the taster plate with 4 "small" tastes (actually pretty huge!): chai tea creme brulee, frozen lemon meringue soufflee, chocolate terrine and a rhubarb tartlet. My husband had a full portion of the lemon souflee - a great take on the traditional pie. All the desserts are made in house and we loved all of the ones we tasted. They even offer half glasses of wine with your meal, allowing guests to taste more than one and keep to the legal limit. This was one of the best meals I've ever eaten and I can't wait to go back. It's worth every penny spent - count on about $50 a person for slow paced evening of fantastic tastes.

Reviewed September 24, 2011

We live in the Comox Valley and have eaten here on a few occasions. The restaurant has a really nice atmosphere, the staff are friendly and the food is fabulous.

Each time we've gone we've had something different and we've enjoyed all of it. Most recently when we went it was for our anniversary. The service and attention was wonderful.

My favourite entree item is the Bison and my husband loves the Rib eye. You get very large portions, that include lots of fresh local vegetables. Delicious bread with a different spread each the time are complimentary. Last time was a hummus type spread with carrot and garlic. YUM!

I highly recommend the frozen lemon pie for dessert.

This restaurant isn't extremely cheap, dinner was $110 for 2, which included 1 appetizer to share, 2 entrees, 2 desserts, and 1 glass of wine. But for a nice dining experience and fantastic local food, this place can't be beat.

Reviewed September 22, 2011

Had the sea burgers and they were fabulous. Three tiny burgers. One tuna,one salmon and one halibut. All a little different as they had a varity of sauces on them. Served with salad of your choice. Good service and most ingredients are bought locally. I will go many more times.