“Lunch time”

Billy D's Pub & Bistro
Ranked #17 of 146 Restaurants in Courtenay
Reviewed August 22, 2013

New owners have done a comfortable reno with sound barriers and privacy booths. great spot for a lunch meeting

Reviewed August 9, 2013

My friend and I drifted into Courtenay to see the old downtown (mostly on 5th Street). We enjoyed several shops/delis and the nearby park, and were looking for a restaurant for supper. We found it in Billy D's which is right on 5th street, the most scenic shopping street in the old downtown. The barbecue ribs (with coffee in the sauce) were excellent - good bbq but not overly sticky-sweet. Meat fell off the bone so was easy to eat. We also had the Thai Rice Bowl with shrimp and vegetables. It was not overly spicy, but definitely Thai spice. It, too, was very good. We had wanted mussels, but unfortunately they were out that evening. Since the mussels were local, that will happen from time to time.
We would definitely go back there again. Staff was friendly and welcoming.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Great pub food, service sometimes a bit slow. Great for a place to stop before a show at the theater.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

After a walk through downtown Courtenay, my husband and I decided we were ready to have some lunch. My husband popped into the pub and suggested we eat there. I didn't feel like a greasy/heavy pub meal, but figured I would just order a salad. Much to my surprise, the menu offered a variety of healthier options as well as pub fare. The food was fresh and really tasty. Our waitress, who appeared to be on her own, did a terrific job taking care of all of the customers. She was friendly and cheery. The pub has great atmosphere and even though there is no outdoor seating if you sit near the front of the pub you can still watch the people go by. Will definitely go again!

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We used to go to Billy D's about twice a month, but since under new management the food quality has declined and the portions much smaller. We gave it another try to be fair,about two months later but was also disappointed. This restaurant used to be packed on a Friday or Saturday night, but is not any longer. Too bad. We really liked the way the former owners ran it. The new management renovated it beautifully, but great food at reasonable prices is the reason we went there.