“Great hotel for family vacation”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Courtenay Comox Valley SW
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Courtenay
Victoria, BC
“Great hotel for family vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

Stayed here in March to do some skiing at Mt. Washington. Normally, we try to stay on the mountain but this year we thought a pool and a hot-tub after a day of skiing would be preferred so we booked at this hotel. It served our needs perfectly. The hotel looked new and in good condition, the rooms were well appointed - especially the bathroom, and I was pleasantly surprised - I didn't expect the decor and finishings that we had, to come from a Holiday Inn Express. The breakfast in the morning was also a great value. Nice choice of items. Also - the service of the front desk staff as great. They were all polite, smiling and eager to help. The highlight, ofcourse, was the pool, hot-tub and waterslide. Our kids loved it and so this was a no-brainer. We look forward to returning the next time we're back in Courtenay/Comox.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Tofino, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

Stayed for 1 night and was pleasantly accommodated. Rooms were quiet, exceptionally clean, and spacious. I appreciated the compostable cutlery offered in our mini kitchen (they were helpful for our leftovers). From the moment we walked in the door, we were acknowledged at every turn with a smile and a greeting. We followed our free, HOT continental breakfast with a dip in the vacant pool/hot tub. The stay was definitely the cherry to our trip! Thanks!

Room Tip: Ask for the view of the inlet!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Shawnigan Lake, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

I have travelled to the Comox Valley a few times and stayed in various hotels in the area and experienced varying degrees of dissatisfaction in each until I stayed at the Holiday Inn, this is now the only place I book even if my business is in Cambell River. It has been a great place for my kids and I to stay and always very accomodating to us and our needs. The friendly staff at the front were full of smiles and very inviting and we enjoyed the breakfast buffett selections also! Will be back again,...and again...

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

Got upgraded to a wonderful suite :) the staff were so helpful and kind to us. We will go back again there is no doubt about it! The room was beautiful and we even had fresh flowers upon our arrival! This hotel made our stay in courtenay a wonderful one!

• Stayed February 2014
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

I use Priceline often and have never been given bad service at a hotel because of it. For the first time ever, I felt unwelcome because I used Priceline. The hotel gave me this wheelchair room. I went back to the desk and they said I ordered it. I most certainly did not. Well, can I have a regular room? Not a chance. They can`t change a room booked on Priceline. I look up my confirmation and it says nothing about a wheelchair room. No help with this at the front desk. So I am stuck with this room. The hotel seems nice but the room business left a bad taste so I find it difficult to look past that. I travel alot in this area. I stay mostly at Kingisher Resort or Coast Westerly. Thought I'd try this place. They won't get my business again. Need to learn customer service.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
JKMatkin, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Courtenay Comox Valley SW, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear KimDebbie28,

Thank you for your review of your recent experience with us at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites, Comox Valley.

Kimdebbie28, I was very disappointed to read the title of your review as we have always had very positive reviews from our Priceline guests, with a 9.2 out of 10 overall satisfaction score on the Priceline website. While it is certainly true that we are unable to modify dates or cancel reservations made by Priceline,a room type change upon arrival certainly should not be an issue provided the requested room type was available.

I will be speaking to all Guest Service Agents to clarify that although we are unable to modify dates of stay or cancellations for third party website bookings, we can most certainly do our best to modify the room type at the request of the guest so long as we have the availability to do so. Without question, the comfort of our valued guests should be our number one priority regardless of the channel through which the guest has booked their reservations and every guest should expect to feel welcome at our hotel. Every reasonable effort should have been made to find a guestroom more suitable to your preferences.

In researching the situation further, I have confirmed with Priceline that it was a wheelchair accessible reservation that was sent through to our reservations desk. I am expecting a call back from a representative of Priceline to discuss what may have gone wrong during the booking process, and how the room type descriptions are reflected on the confirmation letters issued upon booking. If there are any inaccuracies in our listing, or room types on the Priceline website, we will work directly with Priceline to rectify them immediately.

Thank you again for your candid feedback, we appreciate your brining this matter to our attention, and I hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again and exceed your expectations with the high level of service our Priceline guests both deserve and have come to expect from our hotel.

J.Matkin
Front Office Manager

Readers Please Note:

It is important for travellers that use these sites to be aware that third party reservation websites such as Priceline, Hotwire and Expedia collect payment from the guest directly and pay the hotel for the stay in a separate transaction. As a result of this condition of participation, valued guests must deal directly with the .com company that they booked with directly to modify or cancel a reservation in order to avoid cancellation or modification fees associated with the policies as outlined by the .com reservation company through which the guest has booked.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

Our family of five checked in on a Friday for two nights. All was as to be expected at an Express except for the midget hockey teams who took over the pool, waterslides, and breakfast area while running up and down the halls at all hours, seemingly, unsupervised.

Stayed March 2014
Dear trevortaylor,

Thank you for your review of your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites, Comox Valley.

I am disappointed to hear that the quality of your stay was affected by the high volume of children that we accommodated during your stay with us. While considerable effort is made to ensure that all of our valued guests may enjoy a quiet and comfortable stay during high occupancy time frames, recent experience has made clear that we have some room for improvement in this regard. With the busy hockey season recently behind us, we have been reviewing the events of the season working hard to identify opportunities for improvement as well as ways to further improve the reliable methods we have used in past to afford all of our valued guests a comfortable stay during hockey season.

It is our goal to provide a consistently high level of service and comfort to all of our valued guests year round, and I sincerely apologize that we were unable to meet your expectations in this regard. We will continue to work diligently to ensure that the groups we host are well aware of our expectations for behaviour and that a member of our management staff takes action to enforce our policies with any guest that continues to push the envelope in a respectful but firm manor. It is certainly a reasonable expectation for all of our guests to treat our patrons and our property with respect and we will do our best to ensure this is the case moving forward.

Thank you for sharing your experience during your recent stay with us. We appreciate the candid feedback and welcome the opportunity to improve. Once again trevortaylor, I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or disruption that you experienced during your recent stay with us. We appreciate your comments and hope to have the opportunity to not only meet, but exceed your expectations on a future visit to the Comox Valley.

J.Matkin
Front Office Manager
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here many times and once again outstanding. The rooms as always clean and well lit. The staff is helpful in regards to my sons allergies making sure there is something for him to eat for the free breakfast. Yes breakfast not a muffin and stale coffee but a real breakfast.

My son loves the pool and slide( but who doesn't like waterslides)Only downfall is trying to get my son out of the pool to enjoy the comox valley.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Courtenay
Old House Hotel & Spa
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
Travelodge Courtenay BC
Travelodge Courtenay BC
#6 of 9 in Courtenay

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Courtenay Comox Valley SW? Share your experiences!