“Holiday Inn? Are you sure? More like the Hilton or Westin! WOW!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Courtenay Comox Valley SW
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Courtenay
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Just stayed here for two nights with a group of 16 guys for an annual golf tourney. To say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement. Beautiful, spacious new rooms, with very nice furnishings, dark wood cabinetry and granite counters in bathroom and kitchenette type area with microwave, small fridge and coffee maker. New flat screen tvs 42 inch and very comfortable beds and pillows. Linens and towels were top shelf quality too. The hotel also provides a free breakfast with many options to choose from both hot and cold in a spacious, very clean and nicely finished large VIP room with a 60 inch flat screen tv on the wall. The service here was over the top as well with staff members driving us in the hotel van and in one instance the persons own private vehicle to restaurants and nightspots so we did not have to incur the costs of taxis ! Amazing! The hotel also allowed us the use of the VIP breakfast room for our tournament functions including poker in to the wee hours of the night. The hotel is also conveniently located close to a number of restaurants, coffee shops and services and not far from downtown. All of this for $110 a night! Can't say enough good things about this place. Will definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Upper floors are probably best
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank CaseyluvsSophie

Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights. What a super clean, friendly, spacious, beautiful hotel, excellent rooms, comfy beds. A true joy to stay at. The pool was good. Complimentary breakfast room was clean, lots of choices, good food. The staff were always friendly and greeted you when passing the lobby. Take note all you mediocre hotels out there (you know who you are!); visit here if you want to see how it should be done!
5 stars! And I don't give 5 out at twice the price! Enjoy!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank danamcarthur
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I had occasion to stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Courtenay BC this past week. I found the staff to be very helpfull and friendly. I have stayed at HIE in the past and this would rank near the top. With this brand and style of hotel the staff make all the difference. Since all the HIE's are similar it really is the staff that separates the good from the good enough. The front desk were quick to check me in and supply me with directions for a good restaurant. I am a Priority Club member although I seemed to have dropped off the data base. Angie was very helpful to ensure I received the points and offered advice to get registered again.
The free breakfast was good with a decent choice of hot and cold options.
The pool was clean and the hot tub hot.
The room was quiet ,clean and well stocked with the required amenities.
All in all a good experience, I would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank rob3432
Reviewed September 6, 2012

This Holiday Inn is one of the best I've seen. From the size and cleanliness of the room to the friendliness of the staff to to the quality of the breakfast you can't go wrong with this hotel. We were just passing through Comox headed north, but stayed for two nights as we liked the area so much. The little Thai place down the street was also a good idea.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2012

The welcome at this hotel was fantastic. The reception staff really made you feel welcome. The room was large, clean, and was the first hotel in 7 in Canada that had air conditioning. The breakfast was filling and tasty. The location is good in Courtenay, being near a nice waterside walk. The only disappointment was the pool that was rather business like and you had to request that the water slide was turned on.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ROBERTCRAMB
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I was in town for a seminar, got in late, had to get up early. Front desk told me about a 15% discount my office hadn't claimed, saved me $30. Clean, comfortable room, right in line with HIE standards. Good nights sleep, decent water pressure in the shower and I was off for my day. Exactly what you want from a business trip hotel. Predictably good, no unpleasant surprises.

Room Tip: Get one on the back side of the building, facing away from Cliffe Ave.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Steve C
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I have stayed in Holiday Inn in different countries such as in Manila, and in Berlin. I was a little bit disappointed in Holiday Inn Courtenay. Don't get me wrong, the staff were really courteous, polite and really helpful. That's the good part. plus the room is clean. Again that's the good part.

On the bad part, the room I was in was really dreadful. The hotel was packed, but still,there really is no reason to even think of putting a room in front of the pool area. The 3 nights I stayed there, I hardly got any sleep. The soundproofness of the room was really horrible. You can hear the people passing along the corridor outside your door. Plus at 6 am in the morning I was woken up by the drone of the laundry carts passing by the hallway. So if you had a late night sleep, don't expect to wake up late in the morning, because you will be automatically woken up. Not to mention, the shouts of the children passing by because they are either going to the pool or coming from the pool. ( the pool closes at 11 o' clock at night thus good luck to you if your thinking of having an early evening in).

They do serve hot breakfast but this only consists of bread (which you can toast), sausage patties, bacon, and scrambled eggs. you can also have pancakes and there is a selection of muffins. and of course coffee, hot chocolate, and cereals. But you have to wake early especially on the weekends, or else you will be dining on the left overs. Most of the time, they run out of bacon early, and milk, and even the cream cheese.

Plus I was told by hotel.com that they have complimentary shuttle service from the airport to holiday inn, and back. All i had to do was call them, even on the day of arrival. Thus that's what i did. ANd when I called, I was told that they were busy, thus they cannot give in to my request. So I had to go via cab. Prepare, at least $30 because that s how much it costs roughly from airport to hotel.

But the good points aside from the cleanliness of the room and friendliness of staff, Holiday Inn is situated in a good spot. I had to travel via bus (because taxis are quite expensive, if you do not drive). It is near restaurants such as Plates, Tim Horton's, Wendys. and it is near a 7-11. and near a Thai restaurant. all of these are within walking distance, thus you won't get hungry. It is also near a bus stop for bus #3 which goes to Courtenay town. There's also a #4 bus which goes to Comox proper, if you want to go and visit Comox, and eat on the other known establishments there such as Martines, or Blackfin Pub.

In total, if I were to be asked whether I would be returning to Holiday Inn, I might say I might. I could, as long as I would not be staying on room 122 or any of the rooms in front of the pool.
Hope my review helps.

Room Tip: Say no to room 122, or any room in front of the pool area. You will be woken up early.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Courtenay Comox Valley SW, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Dear babesbonzai,

Thank you for the candid review of our property. We strive every day to create special experiences one guest at a time and I am truly disappointed we did not manage this for your stay. Please accept my sincere apology for the noise challenges you expereinced during your stay. I have taken note of your valuable comments including the misunderstanding regarding the shuttle service and rest assured, these issues will be taken into consideration in our efforts to provide the best service experience possible.

Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Courtenay
Old House Hotel & Spa
Best Western Austrian Chalet
#4 of 16 in Campbell River
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
The Villas at Crown Isle Resort

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Courtenay Comox Valley SW? Share your experiences!