“The perfect place for a special occasion dinner.”

Ocean7 Restaurant, AQUA Bistro & Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Ocean7 Restaurant, AQUA Bistro & Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 146 Restaurants in Courtenay
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Argyle
Transit: Bus stops at entrance
Description: Ocean7 Restaurant and AQUA Bistro & Wine Bar located at Kingfisher Oceanside Resort & Spa is newly renovated and re-opens in early March 2017. The new AQUA Bistro & Wine Bar features creative casual shared plates paired with fine wines and signature cocktails, while Ocean 7 Restaurant will focus on West Coast seafood, grain fed meats and fresh organic produce from local sustainable growers and suppliers. The culinary experience will be unparalleled with unique creations from our Executive Chef Nyle Petherbridge, an accomplished Red Seal chef who created menus for some of most successful well known establishments in British Columbia. Your senses will be awakened enjoying tantalizing food for the palate while gazing out to the vast ocean views which was the main focus in the design process. Spectacular panoramic waterscape views welcome you as you enter the main entrance for the two restaurants. Design elements make use of French provincial flair and modern West Coast accents featuring beautiful wine displays, soft woods, stone and antique tile finishes. Centralized in the AQUA Bistro & Wine Bar is an inviting New York style bar with rich marble countertops sourced from Vancouver Island’s top quarries. On beautiful sunny days, two large garage doors will open up to the patio enticing you to sit outside and bask in the warm sun with breathtaking views of the ocean and the beloved lush Kingfisher gardens. The new oversized outdoor fire pit will be a romantic spot to cozy up to watch the spectacular wildlife and sunsets. The adjoining space, Ocean 7 Restaurant, maintains a fine dining atmosphere with view tables and cozy booths, stair stepped to allow amazing vistas for all. The Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa, not only a destination Spa Resort, but a destination for a top culinary tasting experience!
Reviewed September 24, 2011

We stayed at the hotel for my husband's birthday. The grounds around the restaurant are beautiful and the corner window table we had gave us a nice view of them and out to the water. The restaurant was not very crowed as the high tourist season is past. Service was pleasant and attentive. Our server was very helpful with the menu suggestions. The steak nicely cooked and presented. The mussels appetizer was great - local mussels and very fresh. The Seafood Steamer is not to be missed. Beautifully presented and everything was so fresh. Our server suggested the Dessert Sampler - all great choices - and even included a chocolate Happy Birthday wish. A lovely place in a beautiful setting - not to be missed if you are staying here or just passing through.

Reviewed September 14, 2011

My wife has wanted to stay at the Kingfisher spa so as a birthday present to her I decided to treat her to a two day stay there. They had a special mid-week packaged deal at the time that offered a couple two nights, breakfasts and the Pacific Mist Hydropath spa feature. The food was excellent and the stay very relaxing. My wife in particular enjoyed the various unique water features of the hydropath. I found the hydropath less enjoyable because all I could think of was how much more enjoyable it would be without a swimsuit. We have a secluded yard with a pool and hot tub so we are accustomed to the freedom, comfort and convenience of not wearing swimsuits. The hydropath feature is also secluded and lends itself to easily offer a clothes free option. I did send their management a suggestion that they schedule periods of the day for "European" style use and "American" style use but so far there has not been a response. We would like to visit again but won't until they allow the hydropath to be used"European" style without swim suits.

Reviewed September 3, 2011

I had dinner with friends at the Kingfisher. It was a warm night and we took advantage of the patio that overlooked the ocean. The atmosphere felt like a vacation at another destination.

We decided to share some plates so we had he opportunity to sample a few things from the menu -The baked local oysters with creamed leek, prosciutto and citrus aioli were delicious. By far the best oyster dish I have ever had. The next dish was the mussels in a mild curry and pickled ginger cream - very good.

The other menu item we ordered was the panko crusted rice roll filled with albacore tuna. This was an amazing twist to regular sushi. The only thing I would suggest is cutting the roll into slightly smaller pieces.

We had the pan seared tenderloin done rare with morel mushroom jus. The steak was seasoned and grilled to perfection. The braised pork cheeks with black cherry, grilled asparagus, butter milk mash and truffle navy beans was very rich and devine.

All the appetizers and entrees came to our table hot and beautifully displayed. I enjoyed a frothy blender drink while my friends enjoyed wine flights wonderfully paired with their meals.

We chose the dessert trio to finish off this amazing dinner. The Sea Escape was made with belgium chocolate mousse, coated in chocolate ganache with Grand Marnier mascarpone and lavender ice cream. This was decendent while the unique flavor of lavender ice cream was a perfect addition. The orange marzipan cake, orange purée cake wrapped in marzipan, was also unique and rich - very good. Last, we enjoyed the expresso cheesecake which was creamy and not overly sweet so that you could enjoy the taste of the cheese!

Our experience here was wonderful and we would highly recommend.

Reviewed August 16, 2011

We went to the Kingfisher for lunch. I ordered the Kingfisher Grilled Flat Breads with Smoked Chicken. The description reads, in part, " grilled hand stretched Naan with tender chicken breast, tomato, crispy lettuce and roasted garlic mayonnaise". The meal was garnished with limp sprouts. The chicken was small, dry, rather gray pieces and the lettuce was very limp leaves. As a side I chose the green salad. The lettuce was brown. I ate only a few bites of the meal. As I was still hungry, I ordered dessert. I'm not much for sweets so I ordered the Pavlova which was described as "Two meringue nests with fresh fruit and blackberry lemon curd, with your choice of amoretti ice cream or pear ginger soy glace" From the description and the $10 price, I expected a good serving of fruit. The dessert had two meringues with two scoops of ice cream and only a handful of berries. In defense of the Kingfisher, someone who likes really sweet dishes would probably like this dessert. I didn't and thought the description was misleading.

My spouse ordered the special which was salmon. He found the salmon quite tasteless. The carrots served with the dish weren't properly cleaned and the piece of broccoli was limp and unappetizing. My spouse ordered apple strudel for dessert and described it as OK.

Our server, who obviously saw the amount of food left on our plates, only charged us for one dessert. We are appreciative of the gesture.

On the plus side, the view is great and the coffee is very good.

1  Thank msm m
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Food is wonderful and views from the dining room are stunning.