“Not so great”

Dining options: Reservations
Prince George, Canada
“Not so great”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Went as a family of 5 for the greek food, waitress was very friendly and recommended the souvlaki and moussaka but I don't know why. Chicken souvlaki had no flavour and moussaka was dried out, burnt béchamel sauce covered in parmesan cheese-never had that before and my only conclusion was it was there to hide the burnt spots. The rice served with both meals tasted old and was dry like it was reheated. Regular greek salad contained too much oil and had to be returned but the greek salad Horiatiki was good. Filet mignon was ordered as medium and came well done with no flavour, had to eat it with HP sauce to add flavour. Overall, nothing we ordered was as it should have been, was overpriced for what we received and we would never go back.

• Visited February 2014

Vancouver, Canada
“huge portions”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

2nd time I've eaten at this restaurant and have had good service both tomes with a friendly waitress who was quick and checked in on me often. The prices are reasonable and the food portions are huge. They have a large menus with lots of choices.

Visited January 2014
Invermere, Canada
“Horrible service by Owner / Cook and staff. 2 hours in a mostly empty restaurant awaiting what was a mediocre meal.”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Well I'm up at 1:37 a.m. with indigestion due completely to the below average dinner and deplorable service, we had at Apollo Restaurant in Cranbook this evening. My partner ordered the Chicken Cordon Bleu - me Veal Parmazon - both tasted like premade packaged food - when they finally were served.

That wasn't the worst part though - we were left waiting for WELL OVER AN HOUR for this mediocre meal. People who came in after us were getting their "daily special" - and pizzas were going out the door (phone orders no doubt that were coming in well AFTER his seated customers had been waiting, and waiting) while our evening was a 2-hour debacle.

We drove down to Cranbook in plenty of time to have had a good meal and still have had time to continue with our plans for the evening. Got there a little past six, ordered right away, had the salad bar and then waited, and waited, and an hour later finally the waitress began saying "this is ridiculous - I put your order in right away" Thing is, there were 3 waitresses and only about 8 tables taken in the entire place - the place was empty probably for good reason!! By the time we got out of this restaurant it was almost 8 PM

We are easy going and mellow customers - and we eat out regularly. I've never written a bad review before, but Apollo Restuarant in Cranbrook - I can't think of a more appropriate place to warn prospective customers about - don't waste your time or money eating there.

Waitresses were complaining to each other and to us, about the owner Peter who was apparently doing the cooking - bottom line - tried this place once 5 years ago and had just as bad expereince. Decided to give it another chance tonight and believe me, that won't happen again.

Owner insulted us the same way I see by other reviews he insulted them. Offered to throw in a dessert for free!! Didn't even have the courtesy to come over and apologize. This restaurant owner doesn't deserve repeat business - he should be ashamed of the way he treats customers and his waitress pay the price because you sure don't tip in a situation like that.

Anyway, you can have a better and more enjoyable meal - pretty well anywhere in Cranbrook. Don't waste your time or money at Apollo. Want great food, same prices and excellent service - try East Side Marios. They never disappoint and have the best all your can eat Caeser complimentary with their meals.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Grandma2087
Fernie
“Big, satisfactory portions”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Our family of three had dinner recently. Our son's pizza was pretty good - tons of cheese and he loved it (I can't believe he ate the whole thing). My wife's calamari was nicely done as well, well seasoned and cooked. My chicken souvlaki was alright - it was well seasoned but a little over cooked. However, most of everything else was just ok. The tzatziki was bland, the greek salad was bland, there was no option to sub potato for rice, the pita was stale. It was all fine, but not great. Desert was a disappointment - frozen cake and stale baklava.

And the service was just ok as well - we never waited too long for attention (and the food came pretty quickly) but some training would be great for the servers. One occasion, for example, I got the waitresses attention so I could ask for more water. She guessed what I was after on her way to the table, saying "Do you want some more water?" but then apparently decided to answer for me, and before I could reply, continued "No, you're okay..." then turned and headed for the kitchen... Well, yes, actually, I DID want more water! Luckily she was back around just a few minutes later and I was able to get a refill.

Portions seemed to be quite pricey but when they arrived at the table, my concerns vanished. They were huge plates filled with food, and I think provided good value even if the bill wasn't tiny. The decor of the restaurant is very dated but from what I could see everything looked to be clean and tidy.

The meal was more than acceptable, but in the end, there is room for improvement. Some more seasoning to the food and some training for the wait staff would make a marked improvement. All that said, we might go back for another visit.

• Visited April 2013
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Will not return...as a guest or chef”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Some may feel the food is good but i have seen the kitchen...will not even eat free food at the APOLLO!!!!!!!! I am from a kitchen background in Vancouver with all my papers...it was nasty! Make sure you have tp if you eat there. Just in case cause i have seen the coolers and the food practices.

• Visited March 2013